DMP

tj1187

Excuse my ignorance but how exactly does DMPs work?  I know it allows you to hunt deer in WMUs.  Does that mean those that don't have a DMP cannot hunt in deer at all?  Last year was my first year hunting and when I bought my license they just gave a me a couple of deer tags.  I never used it but I also didn't realize that it was restricted to a certain area.

Toruk, DMP is a doe management permit which allows the hunter to shoot a doe in a certain WMU with gun. So far if you buy a sportsman license you get 1 antlerless and one either sex for bow and ml. You can use both for either season or one in each. But you can't shoot a doe with gun unless you have a DMP. The map shows certain areas that you can't shoot a doe with these bow or ml tags but in general you can. I think it's one zone in the ADKs but the map will show them. So figure what zone you will hunt and apply when you buy your license. It's ten bucks more and you build up prference points if you get denied.

Toruk, DMP is a doe management permit which allows the hunter to shoot a doe in a certain WMU with gun. So far if you buy a sportsman license you get 1 antlerless and one either sex for bow and ml. You can use both for either season or one in each. But you can't shoot a doe with gun unless you have a DMP. The map shows certain areas that you can't shoot a doe with these bow or ml tags but in general you can. I think it's one zone in the ADKs but the map will show them. So figure what zone you will hunt and apply when you buy your license. It's ten bucks more and you build up prference points if you get denied.

Ahhh...so that means if I don't have a DMP then I'm limited to one deer that has to meet the antler requirements of 3 points over an inch during regular season.

No. That's only in the zones with Anler Restrictions. There are only a few. The definition for a legal buck is one antler 3" long. That has always been the way if you only gun hunt. If you didn't buy your license you can still apply for a doe tag. If you bought it and didn't apply, I think you can go back and try to get a doe tag. Don't feel bad getting one deer is a great accomplishment for a new hunter. Hell,  I'm still happy if I get one. Do you bowhunt? Or Muzzle Load? Do you know what zone and WMU you plan on hunting?

That sucks. I usually put in for 3J as a safety net in case I don't get my first choice since I have a few spots to hunt there. Well, go kill one of those monsters the AR is building in 3J and don't forget your DMP might still come in the mail. It happened to me once in 3J. I think in Oct when the DMPs are closed they have another lottery of all the denied guys and you still keep your preference points. Good luck.

Thanks, hunter.  Good to know.

I mainly hunt in the 3M and 3P area.  I didn't hunt deer last year since I started hunting in November and didn't buy my deer rifle till a few months ago.  I figure this year I'll give it a shot (no pun intended).  Started going to the archery range last month but I've been renting the bow.  I think I'll invest in a bow later this year.

Me and my bro got both our selections:

3P = Yes X2

3M = Yes X2

I hope I don't waste it (as in scoring these tags and not harvesting any this year).

If you aren't planning on attempting deer this year (you said you didn't last year) you can always turn those tags over to someone.

As for me  3P = Yes  :D

3R = No  :P

Me and my bro got both our selections:

3P = Yes X2

3M = Yes X2

I hope I don't waste it (as in scoring these tags and not harvesting any this year).

If you aren't planning on attempting deer this year (you said you didn't last year) you can always turn those tags over to someone.

As for me  3P = Yes  ;)

3R = No  ;)

I'm gunning for deer this year.  I mean waste it as in not see any.