Baiting Bears in NY

Five Seasons

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

140 is just BARELY on the edge of safe, thermometers are not always 100% accurate, and the CDC is recommending higher temps for wild game (bears). If somebody wants to risk getting sick, that's their business, but at least make sure you cook the meat to medium well if you plan to feed it to your family or friends.

I agree. You're far more likely to contract lime from a tick in the woods than properly preparing bear meat. And one has consequences a lot worse than the other. 

• Like 1

I eat pork and bacon and medium rare burgers from slaughterhouse cows that probably swam in their own “dodo feces,” a phrase beautifully coined by Michael Jackson when he was discussing his prison cell.

I eat organ meat from deer and raw fish and hotdogs and worst of all White Castle as a nice treat!

BEAR meat skeeves me out....period! It may be irrational; it may be foolish. But if I can’t enjoy what I am going to eat or have a hint of skepticism about its sanitary nature, I’m out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, crappyice said:

I eat pork and bacon and medium rare burgers from slaughterhouse cows that probably swam in their own “dodo feces,” a phrase beautifully coined by Michael Jackson when he was discussing his prison cell.

I eat organ meat from deer and raw fish and hotdogs and worst of all White Castle as a nice treat!

BEAR meat skeeves me out....period! It may be irrational; it may be foolish. But if I can’t enjoy what I am going to eat or have a hint of skepticism about its sanitary nature, I’m out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what if you tested it and it came back negative? 

I consider myself an adventurous eater, as long as it is safe to eat and most of all tastes good I will enjoy. Like crappyice there are some things that just do not appeal to me no matter how tasty they may be, a mental thing I guess.

No Dogs, Cats or Monkeys on the menu for me!:negative:

Al

Edited by airedale

23 minutes ago, airedale said:

I consider myself an adventurous eater, as long as it is safe to eat and most of all tastes good I will enjoy. Like crappyice there are some things that just do not appeal to me no matter how tasty they may be, a mental thing I guess.

Al

Some people eat mountain lions out west and rave how good the meat is.  NO way would I ever want to even try it.  At least a bear is an omnivore and will eat berries and other stuff along with meat, but a mountain lion is a pure carnivore which I couldn't get my head around while trying to eat the meat.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, airedale said:

Al

As a kid, like many of us, i took quite a few wasteful lives with the bb gun and .22. As an adult I'm no longer interested in killing what I wont eat. I enjoy bear hunting. I've only been at it 2 seasons, but the rush I got last year at dusk as I heard an animal approaching through the brush is unrivaled. It ended up just being a deer, but it was still a rush. I'd love to harvest a bear and make a rug and I wouldn't feel ok about not at least trying it. If I ever am successful and don't like the meat I'm not sure I will try again. 

This isn't intended to judge others, just my own personal belief system.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:10 AM, steve863 said:

Some people eat mountain lions out west and rave how good the meat is.  NO way would I ever want to even try it.  At least a bear is an omnivore and will eat berries and other stuff along with meat, but a mountain lion is a pure carnivore which I couldn't get my head around while trying to eat the meat.

wouldn't even try it? Come on, if someone had a lion kabob you'd just turn it down?

• 1 month later...

Not many bears by me in central NY, but the population is getting bigger each year. Few years back , i was the only one to take a bear in my township. For me it was a matter of opportunity as i was deer hunting, turned out to be a huge sow  that was 230 lbs. Not sure i would take another one because it is alot of work, but definitely wanted to be able to say i took one on my property.  By me are alot of fields and corn, so the bears eat good and taste even better...lol..at the time I beleived all the stories on bear meat, its tuff, its very greasy, taste horrible...blah, blah , blah..with believing that i gave most of the meat to the taxidermist who eagerly took it. I took i think  a backstrap and a back leg. Had i known how delicious it was, i would have not given up any.  People that tried it compared it to a fine cut of beef and had no way of telling it was a bear.  Maybe thats because what they feed in  my area  but i would definitely consider shooting another one just for the meat. Till this day i regret giving the meat away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not many bears by me in central NY, but the population is getting bigger each year. Few years back , i was the only one to take a bear in my township. For me it was a matter of opportunity as i was deer hunting, turned out to be a huge sow  that was 230 lbs. Not sure i would take another one because it is alot of work, but definitely wanted to be able to say i took one on my property.  By me are alot of fields and corn, so the bears eat good and taste even better...lol..at the time I beleived all the stories on bear meat, its tuff, its very greasy, taste horrible...blah, blah , blah..with believing that i gave most of the meat to the taxidermist who eagerly took it. I took i think  a backstrap and a back leg. Had i known how delicious it was, i would have not given up any.  People that tried it compared it to a fine cut of beef and had no way of telling it was a bear.  Maybe thats because what they feed in  my area  but i would definitely consider shooting another one just for the meat. Till this day i regret giving the meat away.

SHHHHHHHHHH!!! not true. It tastes horrible and I'd still like to offer to get rid of that nasty stuff for anyone that shoots one..lol

On 11/7/2019 at 10:51 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well if you aren't hunting near a dump and don't want it to go to waste, you just give me a call and I'll take the carcass, cut it up and eat it. 

what I meant was, I wouldn't continue to hunt them after the first. I would never let the meat go to waste on the first... if there ever is one.