California Ammo Ban Set To Cost Hunters Big Time, Some May Quit Entirely

Total government control over everything in people's lives is a non-issue with many people.

Imagine if all hunting, everywhere in the US required non-lead ammo.  Do you think the ammo suppliers could meet that demand right away?  Do you think the laws of supply and demand would push prices up even more?

You will find out in the very near future, because to many hunters, it's a non-issue.

BTW, what people must pay for non-lead ammo in California is higher than what you pay for it in NY, and since California doesn't allow any online ammo sales shipped directly to the buyer, they are at the mercy of the local stores who sell it.

Edited by Rattler

Insidious encroachment on liberties is often done in small steps.  They are playing the long game, because if done too quickly, it would never be accepted.

I have no objection to anyone using non-lead by choice.  I do myself sometimes.  I object to people forcing their demands on others against their will with big govt oppression, especially when their case for it is based on hyperbole and theory.

Remember MTBE in gasoline?  How about ethanol in gas?  Remember when special interest groups said it would be good for the environment?  Remember when they said it would never be required to be a higher % in the mix?  Remember when they claimed to have the science to back it up?  How's that working out?

If all lead is banned for all hunting ammo, due to the laws of supply and demand, as well as the need to replace all your rifle and shotgun ammo for the upcoming season, as well as all ammo manufacturers having to invest in all new machinery for all of their hunting ammo production, hunters will see a big difference in their expenses for the upcoming season.  Anyone who thinks that will not happen is not living in reality.

For a long time California has been there as factual evidence of big govt heavy handedness for all to see.  Yet some people still think what that state does is a non issue that doesn't affect them.  None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, virgil said:

Nobody will quit hunting over this.  Even if you did a ton of hunting for all kinds of game, the number of rounds fired in the field would still amount to a relatively small financial impact.  The banning of lead for waterfowl hunting has a much greater impact because bird hunters usually fire a lot more shots in a day of hunting.  This article is the exact same as the dozens that were written when California first passed the bill a few years ago.  It's reactionary nonsense.

The thing is that there is no "one" single reason for people to quit hunting. But each little aggravation is just one more nail in the coffin.

When speaking of additional costs, one must look at those of us who load our own bullets. I have hundreds of dollars or reloaded ammo. What am I expected to do ......Dispose of all that expensive ammo or spend weeks pulling them apart so I can change the bullets to non-lead? The additional costs are not simply the additional expense of bullet materials. Many of us have existing supplies of lead bullets and rebuilt lead ammo.

By the way, I also have boxes of reloaded shot-shell loads too.

• Like 2

Doc, to them your problem is a non-issue.  They are only concerned with what affects them. 

However, they don't see how this problem affecting others will ultimately affect them.  But by then, it will be too late, and they will be the one's wondering how this ever happened.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, Rattler said:

Imagine if all hunting, everywhere in the US required non-lead ammo.  Do you think the ammo suppliers could meet that demand right away?  Do you think the laws of supply and demand would push prices up even more?

A preview of what would happen is the rimfire ammo shortages during the Obama years. Bricks of 500 plain ordinary 22 LR ammo which could have been purchased for 13 or 14 dollars were selling for close to 80 or 90 dollars and that is if you could find a seller. Today rimfire ammo can again be purchased at a price pretty close to pre Obama. This anti lead ammo rhetoric bullshit is more than anything an insidious chip away backdoor gun control tool.

Al

• Like 3