Still comming around

fadetoblack188

Had no pictures of my target buck this week on my cell cams. But l went and pulled cards today off others right in the same area and he is still making an appearance.  So I feel a little better. Though I am nervous his pattern will start changing greatly before oct 1

also has a new smaller 6 point that has been showing up recently

i tried the whole mock scrape thing today and did pee pee in it, I read great things about it on the internet so we shall see 

A856302A-48C2-4C74-98B6-702170CAE6E3.jpeg

5ABB92FE-4AB4-4AB8-9930-3176A9DD53DE.png

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, fadetoblack188 said:

Yea I’m curious to see if the bucks take interest to the scrape.

They probably will. The one year I hunted 3S, I opened up a scrape and 3 or 4 different bucks hit it in november in a span of a week or so. I kept pissing in it, and they kept coming to lay in it.

Ok that sucks hopefully he sticks around after the velvet comes off, guess I need to check and see if I am still getting pics of him after the velvets off

i wasn’t going to go back in until opening day but I do pretty good with the scent control. Not sure once a week will hurt.

also this means though other bucks or maybe even bigger bucks may travel in come in hard horn for season right? 

10 minutes ago, fadetoblack188 said:

Ok that sucks hopefully he sticks around after the velvet comes off, guess I need to check and see if I am still getting pics of him after the velvets off

i wasn’t going to go back in until opening day but I do pretty good with the scent control. Not sure once a week will hurt.

also this means though other bucks or maybe even bigger bucks may travel in come in hard horn for season right? 

We always have new bucks showing up in late Oct. and Nov.  But there are usually a few that stick around too from earlier in the season too. 

12 hours ago, fadetoblack188 said:

I check my camera ever 2 or 3 days or cards will be full. And I dont care about my scent..they can pattern me all they want. If they smell me in a few weeks they think I am just checking cards again.. many times I get photos just after I change cards.. deer and bear.. doenst seem to bother them ,but my cameras are on edge of open areas and very accessible, the harder to reach ones I do not check often as that intrusion is very noticeable..

And yes if your buck disappears it's possible a bigger buck has displaced it. I have a split brow 12 pt that was a regular on a camera this summer , a large 10 pt with kicker on g2 showed up and he vacated I got photos of the 12 pt again 3/4 of a mile away again  fortunately it's still on my property. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

I check my camera ever 2 or 3 days or cards will be full. And I dont care about my scent..they can pattern me all they want. If they smell me in a few weeks they think I am just checking cards again.. many times I get photos just after I change cards.. deer and bear.. doenst seem to bother them ,but my cameras are on edge of open areas and very accessible, the harder to reach ones I do not check often as that intrusion is very noticeable..

And yes if your buck disappears it's possible a bigger buck has displaced it. I have a split brow 12 pt that was a regular on a camera this summer , a large 10 pt with kicker on g2 showed up and he vacated I got photos of the 12 pt again 3/4 of a mile away again  fortunately it's still on my property. 

Sometimes in my experience a smaller rack but maybe tougher buck stays and the bigger rack leaves. In 2017, i had an older bigger buck 7pt fighting with a younger smaller racked 8pt buck on 9/23. They were on cam all summer. After that fight on camera I never got a pic or saw that 7pt again. The 8pt stayed on camera all fall into December.

This year I got 3 shooters (by my standards) on camera. I bet only 1 or 2 stay throughout the fall on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sometimes in my experience a smaller rack but maybe tougher buck stays and the bigger rack leaves. In 2017, i had an older bigger buck 7pt fighting with a younger smaller racked 8pt buck on 9/23. They were on cam all summer. After that fight on camera I never got a pic or saw that 7pt again. The 8pt stayed on camera all fall into December.

This year I got 3 shooters (by my standards) on camera. I bet only 1 or 2 stay throughout the fall on camera.

Yes a more dominant buck need not have a bigger rack . It just can be more aggressive. 

Glad you have some shooters on cam for you. Yes everyone's standard is different and the top bucks in an area is all that available  then that what your choices are. You cant kill 180 in if it doesnt exist where you hunt.. every year I look at top 5 or 6 I have on camera as my targets for the season. And every year they are different sizes. This year I have 3 10pts a 12pt, 1 9pt and 4 8pts I'd like to see.. 

• Like 2

Yes a more dominant buck need not have a bigger rack . It just can be more aggressive. 
Glad you have some shooters on cam for you. Yes everyone's standard is different and the top bucks in an area is all that available  then that what your choices are. You cant kill 180 in if it doesnt exist where you hunt.. every year I look at top 5 or 6 I have on camera as my targets for the season. And every year they are different sizes. This year I have 3 10pts a 12pt, 1 9pt and 4 8pts I'd like to see.. 

That is tremendous that you have NINE shooters equal to YOUR standards which would prob make other standards look silly ! Testament to your land management and hard work.

• Like 1