What Seed Spreader do you use

I use an Earthway bag spreader.  It works well on small seed ans pelletized lime.  I found a Scott's push spreader works better for larger seed, like soybeans.  Unless you are going to take up farming, I would stick to a hand or ATV spreader.   Best bang for the buck, and they give you good control over seeding rates.  

I have a tow behind and a scotts hand spreader.  For small seed, you really need to use the hand spreader.  But for 100lbs of beans, the tow behind was nice.  Most plot stuff would only require the hand spreader as its usually small seed and you aren't doing much acreage.  The tow behind is really nice for fertilizer and yes it works on broken ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Thanks guys!  Would the tow behind work well with the phosphate and lime?

I think lime is used in such high volume that you wouldn't want to spread it with a spreader although they do sell pelletized lime.  I have never used it or needed it as far as I know. 

This is very similar to my tow behind.  Not sure if its the same brand.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-tow-behind-broadcast-spreader-200-lb-tbs7019t?cm_vc=IOPDP1

• Like 1

I use a Solo spreader with a plastic bin for fine work-brassicas, clover, etc. I have a Land Pride 3 point hitch for fertilizer, pellet lime, and grains-I can broadcast 50 lbs an acre of oats, rye, etc. with that spreader. Smaller quantities I am walking with the Solo.

• Thanks 1

I use those cheap hand-held Earthway bag/broadcast spreaders for fertilizer on plots under an acre in size, and for seeding wheat and soybeans, even on larger plots (up to 3 acres).  For broadcasting fertilizer, on larger plots, I use an old 3-point Cyclone spreader that holds a couple hundred pounds.  I paid $ 25 for that at the Alexander Steam show about 15 years ago.    

The Earthway slipped off the hood of my tractor and got crushed by a loaded rear tire on Tuesday night, just as I was getting ready to sow wheat and soybeans.  No big deal, because it was on its third season anyhow and ready for replacement (fertilizer is kind of tough on them).  Fortunately, I had an old Cyclone bag/broadcast spreader in the barn (I think I got it for $ 5.00 at the Alexander steam show a couple years ago), that had never been used on fertilizer.  After patching a couple holes in the bag with duct-tape, and re-tying the broken strap, it worked very well on the soybeans and wheat.  

For tiny seed like clover and turnips, I like those little plastic Scotts hand seeders the best, regardless of plot size.  It seems to me that many  foodplotters go way overboard with their seeder/spreaders, when a $ 19 , hand-held Earthway would get the job done just fine.   I can't believe all the ATV mounted spreaders out there.  By the time they get that out and hooked up, they could have the job done with the Earthway.        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Thanks guys!  Would the tow behind work well with the phosphate and lime?

I use a tow behind spreader for lime, some applications may require 1500 tons, hand spreading would kill ya. Spreading seed I prefer hand held as it's easy to see if you need to adjust as you go.

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I think lime is used in such high volume that you wouldn't want to spread it with a spreader although they do sell pelletized lime.  I have never used it or needed it as far as I know. 

This is very similar to my tow behind.  Not sure if its the same brand.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-tow-behind-broadcast-spreader-200-lb-tbs7019t?cm_vc=IOPDP1

Just went to TSC and grabbed one of these.  Got a new shed, might as well fill it with more crap!  Hoping next year, to put in some more plots, especially if they ever do my logging on the side of the mountain.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Just went to TSC and grabbed one of these.  Got a new shed, might as well fill it with more crap!  Hoping next year, to put in some more plots, especially if they ever do my logging on the side of the mountain.

Be sure to wash it out, dry it, and lubricate the hell out of it after every use!  The parts like to corrode together in no time unless properly taken care of.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I use a tow behind spreader with my ATV for doing lime, fertilizer and Winter Rye/Oats/Winter Wheat/etc. It works fine over broken ground. For any seed that I need better control over, I use a hand crank bag seeder. Ive used these for plots from 1/4 acre up to 2 acres.

Yeah the tow behind for the quad worked great.  Put out 100lbs of seed in about 5 minutes.  Just hope it rained up there sometime this weekend or the turkey/deer are going to slobber all those oat seeds down.

Used a ghetto rake composed of 2x4s and big nails to work them into the ground.  Worked pretty good too!  Next spring going to have that disc at 100%, then York rake all the crap off and plant brassica most likely.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Checked the plot yesterday.  Bone dry and the seeds haven't germinated.  And I left the camera turned off so I don't even get to see how many deer and turkey we're on it gobbling down all those oats.  Hopefully we get enough rain this afternoon to get things moving.

Lack of rain makes it real hard to germinate

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I need a better drag this year.  Any suggestions?

Can you weld?   Culver made us one last year that works far better than anything I have seen commercially to drag behind an ATV.  It does a real good job of turning soil over.