Close Encounter with Boo-boo....

Pygmy

I was  out squirrel hunting this morning on some local public land...

I was standing in a hickory grove, watching the  trees when I saw a movement off to my left...

There was a small ( perhaps 50-60 lb) bear walking right toward me....I watched him until he got about ten feet away and did not seem to see me or change course....I pivoted a few degrees toward him so that my shotgun muzzle was pointed toward him...Another step or two and I could have touched him with the muzzle...

Boo-boo saw the movement and bolted, but only ran about 20 yards...The wind was right and he could not smell me...He walked across broadside in front of me and then continued on his way...  That is the closest I have ever been to a live black bear in the woods..Pretty cool..I'm going to have to start carrying one of those silly phone/cameras you guys all have, just for such opportunities..

• Like 26

13 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I was  out squirrel hunting this morning on some local public land...

I was standing in a hickory grove, watching the  trees when I saw a movement off to my left...

There was a small ( perhaps 50-60 lb) bear walking right toward me....I watched him until he got about ten feet away and did not seem to see me or change course....I pivoted a few degrees toward him so that my shotgun muzzle was pointed toward him...Another step or two and I could have touched him with the muzzle...

Boo-boo saw the movement and bolted, but only ran about 20 yards...The wind was right and he could not smell me...He walked across broadside in front of me and then continued on his way...  That is the closest I have ever been to a live black bear in the woods..Pretty cool..I'm going to have to start carrying one of those silly phone/cameras you guys all have, just for such opportunities..

To bad you couldn’t have gotten a photo, that would have been awesome to see. 

First bear I ever saw when hunting was pushed towards me by other hunters years ago.  I was bow hunting in a tree stand and it ran right up to the base of my tree.  It looked up and saw me then ran.  I never saw a bear move so fast.  It stop 40 yards downwind and just walked back and forth for a minute, then walked away.  Couldn't hunt them in that area at the time.

A couple of weeks back, I was standing on my back, lower deck scanning the trees for a squirrel. I saw movement to my right and slowly turned. A juvenile black bear proceeded to walk right by me at 10 yards. He never saw / smelled me. He wasn't very big... maybe 100#, but it was still a cool sight to see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That’s close! No momma around?

I was looking for her, Jerry  !!..  He was alone,..,the woods were relatively open there...

Are bears mating, now...??..Perhaps Momma was out  waltzing around with some black stud...

51 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I was looking for her, Jerry  !!..  He was alone,..,the woods were relatively open there...

Are bears mating, now...??..Perhaps Momma was out  waltzing around with some black stud...

I think they mate around June right after they run their second year cubs off. He was either a second year cub probably just run off a few months ago and just small for his age or a first year cub, and momma was somewhere nearby. This pic is of some first year cubs I’ve been getting on cam. Was yours about this size or bigger?

681FA0CA-F732-4A41-B3B0-BA4FB63E11D3.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I think they mate around June right after they run their second year cubs off. He was either a second year cub probably just run off a few months ago and just small for his age or a first year cub, and momma was somewhere nearby. This pic is of some first year cubs I’ve been getting on cam.

681FA0CA-F732-4A41-B3B0-BA4FB63E11D3.jpeg

He was at least double the size of those cubs, about the size of a good sized Labrador retriever.. I'm guessing he's a yearling..

He looked like an adult bear only small...Didn't have that "cubby" look about him... He's certainly big enough to survive on his own..

Something could have happened to Momma, too...Last month I saw an adult hit in the road  not more than a mile as the crow flies from where I saw Boo-boo yesterday..

• Like 1

First bear encounter I ever had was in Sterling Forest, I was bow hunting a 100lb bear stepped out about 35 yards broadside. I drew and took what I thought was the perfect shot at her. I guess I didn’t notice the limb that was about 20 yards out. Arrow deflected and clean miss. She looked my direction and slowly wandered off. Boy was I glad I missed when that tiny tiny cub stubbled our from behind her after about 5 steps. I would have had to call dec on myself had I hit her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1