Studying For Alost A Yaer, Still Going In Cold

DirtTime

I mentioned this a while ago, I have a week long hunting trip planned for next month in the dacks.

I have been looking at maps all year, and doing the web scouting thing. It has shown me some areas of interest, and I have been trying hard to learn tree identification by the leaves during the green season, because that's mainly what most Arial maps offer. Topos give you elevation features, and show valleys and so on. But, to get a true sense of what's on the ground, I will be going in cold/blind more or less. The web is great for some things, but there's no "Street View" in the woods.

I cannot remember a hunt I have been looking forward to more then this trip, for a long time! It's going to be awesome if I take a deer or not. Hunting the morning and fishing the evening!

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I mentioned this a while ago, I have a week long hunting trip planned for next month in the dacks.

I have been looking at maps all year, and doing the web scouting thing. It has shown me some areas of interest, and I have been trying hard to learn tree identification by the leaves during the green season, because that's mainly what most Arial maps offer. Topos give you elevation features, and show valleys and so on. But, to get a true sense of what's on the ground, I will be going in cold/blind more or less. The web is great for some things, but there's no "Street View" in the woods.

I cannot remember a hunt I have been looking forward to more then this trip, for a long time! It's going to be awesome if I take a deer or not. Hunting the morning and fishing the evening!

Sounds cool. Where in the ADKS are you going?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

Are you going for the early ML season ?   What areas are you looking at ?    I will be up there (on the North-West corner of the Adirondack park) in October, for a couple days of crossbow and the first three days of the early ML season.   Does are legal then in zone 6C, but not across the road in zone 6F, so I will spend most of my time in 6C.   If I do manage to fill my "antlerless only" tag, I will cross over to 6F, because there are more bears on that side of the road.   

I have taken a few does up there at that time of year, but never had a good chance at a buck at that time.   They are a lot easier to find after the first good snow (I have killed a couple up there over the long Thanksgiving weekend).  This has been a much colder than average year so far though, so maybe we will see some snow up there in mid-October

It sounds like you will be near water.   If there is a distinct browse line, on the pines around the lake, then you will know you are in an area with a good deer population.    If there are green pine branches hanging down to the water, it would be best to move on to a different spot.   I also look forward to the fishing at that time of year, especially when it is a little warmer.  A few years ago, I caught my biggest smallmouth in a long time up there in mid October (on a bucktail jig).   A day or two later, I killed one of the does that was keeping the "snags" trimmed all around the lake shore for me. 

I usually hunt the mornings and late afternoons and fish mid-day.   I can't think of any place on the face of the earth where I would rather be at that time.  Certainly there is no finer scenery anywhere else.  It is a toss-up, as to which is better up there - peak fall foliage and spectacular fishing, or first good snow-cover in the mountains and great buck hunting.             

s.JPG.4305e418a9af47ff3e8170f2eda05087.JPG

post-5805-0-88251400-1418521955.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

If I recall you were headed up by Indian lake.?  If so and your fishing off shore try the outflow from Lewey lake into Indian lake.  In the fall have caught some nice smallies and trout out of there.  Used stickbaits like jr thundersticks.  It's right past the Lewey lake state park. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skillet said:

Sounds cool. Where in the ADKS are you going?

Indian Lake area. I have a few options, health will dictate how many I get in.

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So you’re camping Rob? If you take a deer will you process and cook some? I’m looking forward to following this adventure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like I said in the past about this, we rented a cabin. If I take a buck, I will be removing and cooking the back straps that night. As for full processing, I will have no choice but to get it done, and get it cooling fast. Depending on how far from the cabin I am I may have to quarter the deer to get it out.

This is going to be a tough week hunting. Me, my bow, and big woods. Come whatever may, I'm not putting pressure on myself, I am going to enjoy my hunts, and just hike my own hike.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Indian Lake area. I have a few options, health will dictate how many I get in.

Like I said in the past about this, we rented a cabin. If I take a buck, I will be removing and cooking the back straps that night. As for full processing, I will have no choice but to get it done, and get it cooling fast. Depending on how far from the cabin I am I may have to quarter the deer to get it out.

This is going to be a tough week hunting. Me, my bow, and big woods. Come whatever may, I'm not putting pressure on myself, I am going to enjoy my hunts, and just hike my own hike.

It has been about 20 years, since I hunted that area, but I had my first encounter with Adirondack deer there (in a little patch of thick brush about a hundred yards off the main highway, across the road from Galusha's camp on Lewey lake).    I knew there were deer in the area, because I found some hair on a barbed-wire fence at the back of an old pasture.   

I got down wind of the area where I figured they were holed up.  When they busted out of the cover, the three that I got my crosshairs on all lacked headgear.    Another one (left a much bigger set of tracks), ran off in another direction, and I was quite certain it was a buck, based on the size of the tracks that it left in the mud.        

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Short update.

So, apparently, some of the cabins do have Wi-Fi now. Yeah, I'll be turning off my internet connection. I'm not going the middle Dacks to play on my phone. Now, before anyone gets things twisted with "Oh, if something happens..." yadda yadda, I will not be hunting from the cabin, so I have no need for the www on my big woods vacation.

My wife picked up one of the movie projectors you hook up to a laptop and we can watch movies by playing them on a wall with a sheet hung up. We are also taking some board games with us, and cards of course.

I keep making a list, checking it, then adding and taking away from it. We will be up there for the regular season opener the last weekend, so I may take one of the rifles and get a hunt in on Saturday morning. I also put together a fire kit with a couple of space blankets in just in case.

Just over a week away. Still so pumped for this!

• Like 5

If you get a chance check out the cabins and area of Kings flow.  Best bass lake I have ever seen and it's on a dead end road and then state land for miles. Awesome spot.  It's at the end of Big Brook Rd in Indian lake.  

A neat spot to eat is Marty's chili nights.  Hole in the wall bar a but a nice Mexican restaurant inside.  Kind of a neat spot you would never expect.  

• Like 1

If you get a chance check out the cabins and area of Kings flow.  Best bass lake I have ever seen and it's on a dead end road and then state land for miles. Awesome spot.  It's at the end of Big Brook Rd in Indian lake.  
A neat spot to eat is Marty's chili nights.  Hole in the wall bar a but a nice Mexican restaurant inside.  Kind of a neat spot you would never expect.  

That sounds like a fun spring turkey/bass trip

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That sounds like a fun spring turkey/bass trip

a few of us used to do an opening weekend of bass there in June.   Never seen any turks up there though.  We tried bear hunting but no luck - saw some tracks and scat and neighbors saw a bear.  But always good fishing.  Me and buddy best day on lake 76 bass.  Cabins are really nice.  Had a bald Eagle 4 feet from me there.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Marty's is closed our first night up there, the only night we plan to go out to eat. I appreciate the tip though. I think she wanted to hit Indian Lake Restaurant and Tavern.

After that first night, we have a great menu planned out, good old hunting camp cooking, hopefully some over a fire. Steaks, chili, stew, wife's making homemade dutch oven cheese bread, I will be making up some jalapeno bannock, and I think one night we are doing sgetti n' meat balls.

I will try to check out Kings Flow. My wife has the afternoons, so if she's up for it, then we surely will wet some lines over there. I know she has a few hikes planned, John Pond, Buttermilk Falls, and Watch Hill.

• Like 1

You must have a bad smell about you if deer are running a mile from your scent. I’ve hunted the adks my whole life killed way more than my share of adk bucks tracked way more than that and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one run more than a few hundred yards after smelling me or even seeing me for that matter. I’ve shot bucks less than 100yds from the bed they got out of when they smelled me.

I’ve found that deer in the big woods are way less effected by a humans scent than any other deer I’ve hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You must have a bad smell about you if deer are running a mile from your scent. I’ve hunted the adks my whole life killed way more than my share of adk bucks tracked way more than that and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one run more than a few hundred yards after smelling me or even seeing me for that matter. I’ve shot bucks less than 100yds from the bed they got out of when they smelled me.

I’ve found that deer in the big woods are way less effected by a humans scent than any other deer I’ve hunted.

Sent from my iPhone 

No need to be a dick if you have a opinion on something say it like a adult dont come at another person 

Some areas up there deer seem jittery, and others they are curious what we are. Been some time since I hunted up that way, I don't remember them being any more jumpy then down south.

The private land we hunt in the lower ADK's the deer don't spook easily. They are used to the land owner walking around the woods and driving his ATV's.

A few weeks back I was up there at my buddy and I's camping spot, I did a morning squirrel hunt/scout, big loop around camp. I made myself a cup of coffee, and head to the 'p'-tree. Two does had come in and bedded down just over the hill behind our camp, the area I had walked through less then 30 minutes before. The barked at me and ran, one went maybe 60 yards away and the other actually ran towards me and stopped 10 yards from me and stared at me. I tried to get my phone out of my pocket and shifted my weight, "SNAP" went a twig, they barked at me again and this time hauled ass. I never used to hunt that area until last season. This year, I built a couple brush blinds for the wife and I back there. I saw plenty of scat in that area, so I plan to see how it goes.

• Like 1

So, I have scaled back what will be in my pack. Fire kit, spare gloves, hot hands, and the bare basics like my arm guard, release, TP, drag strap, some shoe laces ( good cordage just in case ), binos, flashlight/head lamp, and a couple extra knives. I am planning to take my small folding chair, but not sure I will use it. Doubt the deer will come to me, so I will most likely be still hunting or stalking.

I also put together a personal fishing kit, some line, hooks, split shots, and a spare folder in an Altoids tin. Yes, I do plan to cut a stick and see if this fishing kit works. I like doing this stuff, so if you have an issue I simply say, step outside your box.

I will start getting my gear packed up Thursday. Will wash my hunting cloths with Ivory, re-treat with Sawyers, and pack them back up. I did pick up some sent cover for this trip, I don't know if I will actually have to use it, but it was on sale so I figured why not have it.

Thought about it, and I am taking the .25-06 up for the 10/26 regular opener. My wife has a ton of plans for the last day, but I will be able to get a few hours in with the rifle weather permitting.