Got charged by a buck tonight

Steuben Jerry

First time for everything. For those who have seen it, this is about that spike buck that’s been tearing up my buck target below my back yard. I posted a bunch of pics a couple of weeks ago in the trailcam pic section and he’s regularly been coming back almost every night. Started to beat up my bear target too.

Got home from work a little while ago and while letting the dog out, I heard that buck tearing up the target behind the house. I walk down the side of the gully, the deer target has his head on the ground, and that spike is just going ballistic pushing my bear target around 20 yds from the deer target. I was able to put the deer back together without that buck even noticing me. He was in a rage on that bear, snorting, almost woofing like a dog, pushing that foam bear back and forth, and only 20 yards away. So I yelled at him loudly to knock it off. That got his attention. He saw me, postured and then started coming at me with his head down. I slid behind the tree next to me, and I have to admit, was getting a bit nervous. He was pawing at the ground, and stepping toward and back from me. I picked up some rocks, and as I walked away toward the house he freaking bluff charged me to within about 10 yds as I stepped behind a different tree. Not afraid to admit I was getting scared here. He kind of calmed down for just a bit, and I walked toward the house kind of threading trees to keep trees between us, and hit my back lawn about 30 yards away from him. No more trees. 

That damn buck started coming in at me again. I held my hands up and just yelled all kinds of crap at him. He stopped, and I had three rocks. I freaking missed with the first two, and barely glanced his shoulder with the third. That was enough to get him to trot off, but only to maybe 50 yards. I hustled back to my back door and when I looked back, he was slowly closing with his head posturing high this time. WTF, WTF, WTF!

My freaking heart was pounding, and I have to admit, walking out back from the house in the dark in a couple of weeks is going to have me pretty jumpy! He’s just a little youngster, but 10 yards from me, pissed off and testosterone fueled, he seemed big enough!

I need to plan for a next encounter and come out looking a bit more in charge.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wow he is one aggressive fella.  Glad your ok.  Have heard stories about this but am sure it was a bit scary.  He thinks he's a tough guy beating up those targets.  

Yeah, looking back on it (I pounded a tall glass of wine and am almost through glass number two, so I’m reflecting) I don’t think he was going to tear into me, but I didn’t really know what he would do in the moment. 10 yards with a pissed off deer is close!

I just need to make sure he’s scared of me going forward before I’m walking in the dark with a bow. He’s a nightly and daily visitor since July even before he started with the deer targets. I need a new big buck to move in and shake up the territories.

• Like 3

I've had plenty of them blow at me in the dark and it can rattle ya for a moment. This is a whole different story.  Dunno if you have a side arm but a shot in a tree might scare him off from there.  Of maybe a firecracker or something. Surprised he is so agressive.  Esp so early in season.

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Yeah, looking back on it (I pounded a tall glass of wine and am almost through glass number two, so I’m reflecting) I don’t think he was going to tear into me, but I didn’t really know what he would do in the moment. 10 yards with a pissed off deer is close!

I just need to make sure he’s scared of me going forward before I’m walking in the dark with a bow. He’s a nightly and daily visitor since July even before he started with the deer targets. I need a new big buck to move in and shake up the territories.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Holy cow! That would have had me a bit nervous and on edge. Glad you escaped without harm. I wonder what has that little guy all fired up? Meth or bath salts is my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's just feeling his early testosterone. Continuing to reflect with wine glass number 3, I’m starting to feel a little wussy-ish.

• Haha 2

Starting to feel a bit pissed about the way he had his head high when I walked back to the house. I don’t think wine glass number 4 has anything to do with it. I’m not interested in hurting him, but this could be helpful in setting a new tone with him...

CF3195DE-3EC6-43CF-8F03-765AE2AC5E57.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2

Be careful Jerry....Seems like I   by read somewhere that more people are killed annually by deer in North America than by any other  animal,  and they weren't talking about traffic accidents..   Spike buck or not, he is a very strong wild animal... 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Sorry for laughing but knowing you are OK that sounds exciting and funny as heck.  The spike won, for once!

It is funny and looking back on it, I’m feeling more embarrassed as I imbibe. He looked so victorious with his little spike head held high.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

Be careful Jerry....Seems like I   by read somewhere that more people are killed annually by deer in North America than by any other  animal,  and they weren't talking about traffic accidents..   Spike buck or not, he is a very strong wild animal... 

Especially so close. Too bad his spikes are too tall. I’d use a doe tag on him, but not a buck tag. He hangs around the yard all the time, he’d be easy to get. I’m going to have to change things up with him. Have to look up legalities with that BB gun I posted.

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Right.  This fella is dead Oct 1 then Jerry won't have to worry about him cause someone will tag him.  Jerry you have a young person new to hunting around? This spike could be a tag filler.

I don’t have someone in mind at the moment, but that’s a great idea! 

A friend was kept in a stand 30 years ago in Painted Post by a buck. He had used some Tink’s 69 in a scrape below his stand.   I was getting worried about an hour after sunset when he finally came out of the woods, scared. This was (deceased now) who had hunted all over the west for a kinda of game and NEVER had anything like this happen prior. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a doe charge me multiple times, coming within about 5 feet before veering off, snorting the whole time.    That also happened in early September, back by my pond.  I was wearing some old camo coveralls, that had been hanging for about a year out in the barn, so they were pretty scent-free.   It was early goose season, so I had a shotgun in one hand and my fishing rod in the other when I walked back to the pond.  

I don't think the doe had any clue what I was.  It was very hot that afternoon, and she was cooling off in the water with a fawn.   She charged, when I got within about 50 yards.   I tried to ignore her and sat down on the bank and made a few casts.   She kept up her bluff charges, until I hooked a bass and it began flopping and splashing around.  That got her attention and scared her.   She and the fawn promptly high-tailed it into the brush.

She did not scare me one iota (maybe because I was very well armed with my 12 gauge pump, loaded with 3" steel # 2's).  I was just a little scared of a little buck back there one time however.  Not scared of being charged but scared of being shot by my own rifle.  It also happened in early September, on Labor day weekend. I was back at the range, sighting in my 30/06.   It was up on a shooting cradle, pointed down-range, and I was at the backstop changing targets, 100 yards away.   I saw the little buck (spike or fork-horn) walk out of the brush.  He walked right up to the shooting bench.   He must have liked the smell of burnt powder, because his muzzle was right next to that of my rifle.   I hoped it was unloaded, and that he did not knock it off the cradle, resulting in an "accidental discharge".                 

Edited by wolc123