Found a yellow jacket nest

moog5050

With the front tire of my tractor while cutting trails this morning.   They really have quite the sting.   Now to figure out how to move the tractor with the front tire flat and loose on the rim while it sits next to the nest.   Perfect storm.  Do I really want this tractor back that badly.  Maybe they should have it.   Lol

waiting in the Jeep while they calm down a bit.  I hope!

• Like 2

Yuck!!can remember a few years ago when my cousin got nailed hard.everyone was riding wheelers around property and he had ran a nest over.can remember him coming back with dead bee's all over the back of the wheeler.truly was lucky as he got nailed atleast 15 times.swelled up but no major complications

• Like 1

Yesterday I trimmed hedges and then was raking out the clippings with my hands from between them, a Yellowjacket stung my elbow. I backed away and there were hundreds, they’ve got a nest in there. I got very lucky. I hammered it with Seven dust last night but of course it rained and washed it away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I’ve been fighting a nest in one of my raised pallet gardens all week. Little bastards got a can of bee spray- nada, 2 nights in a row of hot soapy water - nada, then something came by the next night dug them out and ate em all! Thank you mr skunk or possum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

My doctor actually taught me an effective and relatively safe method of getting rid of the ground nesting yellowjackets.  It's simple, stuff a gas soaked rag into the hole after dark when most all the bees will be in the nest.  Cover with a rock overnight.  Do not light the rag, that does not work well and is dangerous.  The fumes kill the nest.  You don't need very much gas at all, maybe a cup.  Not completely environmentally friendly I suppose, but neither is using chemicals.  It is the time of year when these nests seem to pop up around my house, usually on slopes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jperch said:

My doctor actually taught me an effective and relatively safe method of getting rid of the ground nesting yellowjackets.  It's simple, stuff a gas soaked rag into the hole after dark when most all the bees will be in the nest.  Cover with a rock overnight.  Do not light the rag, that does not work well and is dangerous.  The fumes kill the nest.  You don't need very much gas at all, maybe a cup.  Not completely environmentally friendly I suppose, but neither is using chemicals.  It is the time of year when these nests seem to pop up around my house, usually on slopes.

If I find a nest in the ground I just wait until night and pour a cup or two of gas in hole and light it. Lot more fun and the skunks like em cooked as they are almost always dug out in a day or two lol.

The one I had in the garden I could not fire up as it is a foot from the back of the house.

• Like 1

Couple weeks ago I was mowing a client's lawn, and parked my running mower directly over a ground nest.

Could get back on it as the bees were swarming the mower.  Got a stick and pushed the control handle in to stall the mower, then hooked a strap to my other mower to get it away from the nest.   Got stung 3 times in the process. 

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Couple weeks ago I was mowing a client's lawn, and parked my running mower directly over a ground nest.

Could get back on it as the bees were swarming the mower.  Got a stick and pushed the control handle in to stall the mower, then hooked a strap to my other mower to get it away from the nest.   Got stung 3 times in the process. 

Sounds familiar.   My forearms look like Popeyes now.  

• Sad 1

Back in July I was mowing lawn and bumped into hedges with mower. Went between hedges and house and turned around and walked into a swarm of wasps. Got stung 3 times on my face and I'm allergic. Of course I dont have my EpiPen. Right side of face swells up and eye starts to close. Take a couple benadryl and head to urgent care. They gave me the shot and I was fine other than a swollen eye. Waited a few days and just before dark hit the nest with a full can of wasp spray. No more wasps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Those ground bees / wasps stings are the most painful . I have been attacked by them at least 3 different times . The gas bit didn't work . It just burned an area around the hole . I started using the little rodent bombs and would do it at night when their sentry was asleep . It worked great ! 

I also have had little luck when I tried getting rid of a nest by igniting gasoline.  It kills lots of them of course but not usually all of them.  But no failures with the gas soaked rag covered with a rock or board , at night.  If the nest is small and close to the house I have sometimes run a garden hose down the hole at night, turned the water on for a half hour and then stomp on the ground, caving in the ground on the nest.  The gas rag is easier.  They can be nasty, for sure.

We had a ladder stand on a lease years ago that was DEEP on the property. Setting up the ladder we needed to remove one stubborn root to level it. In doing so we unleashed the doors of hell, sending my partner and I and our two kids fleeing. Oddly only my kid got hit twice and no one else got hit. That was named the Beehive stand...we are quite creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1