Found a yellow jacket nest

moog5050

Yesterday I am working under my GF's car (bad oil leak and an oil change)  Find all the leaks... the previous shop omitted the o-ring on the filter housing and cross threaded the drain plug so bad that I will have to replace the oil pan.  Lancaster shop, PM if you want to know which shop to avoid...

Anyways, It time to dump the oil in and while emptying the 5qt bottle in, a bee lands on my arm and starts walking around...  Not wanting to spill oil all over the place I kept my cool until the bottle was empty then threw it off to the side and ran like a little girl... lol.. So glad nobody saw me!  No sting thankfully.  For some reason, this is the time of year when these bees get relentless at pestering and trying to land on you 

• Like 1

It's a long time fallacy to pour gas in the bee nest and light it on fire all that does is burns up all the fumes from the gas and that's what you want saturating the ground to suffocate and kill the bees.
Just pour a cup of gas in the hole lay a piece of wood over it or a stone and walk away the only B's that will be alive after that are the workers that didn't make it back to the nest the previous night

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reeltime said:

It's a long time fallacy to pour gas in the bee nest and light it on fire all that does is burns up all the fumes from the gas and that's what you want saturating the ground to suffocate and kill the bees.
Just pour a cup of gas in the hole lay a piece of wood over it or a stone and walk away the only B's that will be alive after that are the workers that didn't make it back to the nest the previous night

I've done it about 20-25 times worked every time. The fire usually burns for an hour or two with a candle like flame burning out of the hole after the initial blaze. Not sure what I'm doing different but I've never had to do it twice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Ive done it many times, works great, just dont want to do it in the garden. Ive used gas and diesel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I was told the story of what took place yesterday. It took a while for the guy to relay it to me becasue there was laughing between every other word..lol

Very kind of Terry to bring the tow strap and air.  I noticed that he stayed in the truck while I went back in to hook up the tow strap to the tractor 2 feet from the nest.  Heroic is all I can say! 

• Like 1

I was clearing brush for a new food plot with my backhoe a few years ago. There was a ground nest under a bush I was pushing away. The swarm came into the cab and started attacking! I ran to my nearby quad and raced to the house 1/4 mile away. That swarm chased me right into the house. I stopped counting after 60 stings on every part of my body imaginable. Especially my scalp. I sat down waiting for some kind of reaction, but had none. That might have killed someone who was allergic to bee stings. Got lucky I guess.

Be careful out there

Edited by catskillkid
  • Sad 2

I was clearing brush for a new food plot with my backhoe a few years ago. There was a ground nest under a bush I was pushing away. The swarm came into the cab and started attacking! I ran to my nearby quad and raced to the house 1/4 mile away. That swarm chased me right into the house. I stopped counting after 60 stings on every part of my body imaginable. Especially my scalp. I sat down waiting for some kind of reaction, but had none. That might have killed someone who was allergic to bee stings. Got lucky I guess.
Be careful out there

60! F that compared to my friends I probably get stung the most but I doubt I’m at half that for my entire life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/14/2019 at 8:44 PM, crappyice said:

We had a ladder stand on a lease years ago that was DEEP on the property. Setting up the ladder we needed to remove one stubborn root to level it. In doing so we unleashed the doors of hell, sending my partner and I and our two kids fleeing. Oddly only my kid got hit twice and no one else got hit. That was named the Beehive stand...we are quite creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found a dandy spot a few years ago with great sign and trail intersection that the deer are using heavily. Returned with a ladder stand the next morning early.  Nice big tree up the hill to set up on. Got the stand all finished and sat in it after racheting the strap down for a quick look around before leaving. I hadn't noticed the humming noise before that, looked up and a few feet above was a hole in the tree. The honey bees had arisen. Moved that stand in a hurry. 

On Sunday I found a perfect spot for ground blind - a bunch of windblown trees has fallen between two upright trees creating the start of a wall just 10 yards off a game trail. I started breaking limbs and stacking the wood when I heard the buzz. A few moment later I felt the stings. 

Ran all the way home.

13 minutes ago, left field said:

On Sunday I found a perfect spot for ground blind - a bunch of windblown trees has fallen between two upright trees creating the start of a wall just 10 yards off a game trail. I started breaking limbs and stacking the wood when I heard the buzz. A few moment later I felt the stings. 

Ran all the way home.

Its that time of year.  Hope nothing too serious and its tough to out run wasps!