Best camo pattern?

fadetoblack188

In the market for some new camo set up.  I need something for late season that’s warm.  

Not it sure if I am going with nomad or first lite or what but I can’t decide on which pattern to get.  How much does it actually matter?

i do like the new nomad pattern for white tail as well as the first lite white tail pattern. 

Real tree? Mossey oak?  Bottomlands? I like the bottomlands camo to

what do you guys think? Thanks 

Showed up to hunt lease and my buddy was there.  He told me he couldn't hunt with me today .."your wearing Mossy oak AND Realtree.....really...." Lol.  

I don't think the pattern matters much as long as it breaks up your outline.  If hunting from a stand be more concerned with concealment and not being skylined, and if still hunting be sure to make slow deliberate movements.  

• Like 1

As I was helping my 86 year old father clean out his attic, I found his circa 1950’s era woolrich hunting pants. That’s what the old timers used, And he shot many deer back then.
D0CC238A-86D8-4152-8E2B-36B4E1CBA3FD.thumb.jpeg.1e9c4b29ce238622d144fa5eb99170cb.jpeg

That is very true but my neighbor and his grandson wear this stuff and I can’t help but make Elmer Fudd jokes to my hunting buddy after they leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2019 at 8:53 AM, ANTLERS said:

As I was helping my 86 year old father clean out his attic, I found his circa 1950’s era woolrich hunting pants. That’s what the old timers used, And he shot many deer back then.

D0CC238A-86D8-4152-8E2B-36B4E1CBA3FD.jpeg

I regret not buying s set of matching pants and jacket when I came across them at a garage sale. I have a similar coat that I use for warmth and tradition.  

On 9/15/2019 at 12:00 PM, JRod 8G8H said:

I wear Cebelas Wooltimate series in the colder temps. Not the coolest looking camo pattern but the wool and wind blocking technology is what i go for. I actually have been using a leafy ghillie jacket during bow which is my favorite...

Does anyone else wear a ghillie suit? Was listening to a ground hunting podcast and they spoke well of them.

Edited by left field
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, left field said:

I regret not buying s set of matching pants and jacket when I came across them at a garage sale. I have a similar coat that I use for warmth and tradition.  

Does anyone else wear a ghillie suit? Was listening to a ground hunting podcast and they spoke well of them.

You would be fine just wearing one of the light weight leafy suits and a face mask.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You would be fine just wearing one of the light weight leafy suits and a face mask.

I have a mesh leafy jacket and pants and you can put them over anything you want.  ASAT pattern.  I am lazy and rarely use them but if I am hunting the ground, they are a nice option.  Didn't cost much either.  Otherwise, my concern with clothes is comfort and functionality not camo pattern.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have a mesh leafy jacket and pants and you can put them over anything you want.  ASAT pattern.  I am lazy and rarely use them but if I am hunting the ground, they are a nice option.  Didn't cost much either.  Otherwise, my concern with clothes is comfort and functionality not camo pattern.

Sounds like the one i have ,I've worn it over just a pair of shorts on those early season hot days.

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have a set of that mesh leafy pattern stuff too. It does work great for the ground blind hunting that I do. Inexpensive and slips on over anything. I did trim off the "leaves" from the inside of my bow arm though.

33 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have a set of that mesh leafy pattern stuff too. It does work great for the ground blind hunting that I do. Inexpensive and slips on over anything. I did trim off the "leaves" from the inside of my bow arm though.

I trimmed bow arm and chest after missing a deer from the string catching all that crap hanging in the way.

• Like 1

As some others have said, I think concealment and being smart about the wind are more important than the camo patterns. 

I have a 3D leafy poncho thing that my wife got me a few years back. Never wear it though. It looks cool enough but isn't really conducive to use with a bow or in a tree. Would probably work well from the ground during gun, but I try to not be on the ground during gun if I can help it.

Just now, ATbuckhunter said:

Patterns are overratted. One thing someone taught me was to wear different patterns for a jacket and pants. It helps break up your outline a little better then if you were one blob of the same camo. Ive been doing that ever since I started hunting, but just because thats the way it would happen. 

I agree. I've read that multiple times. Don't own any coveralls and like wearing a leafy ghillie suit

• Like 1

I have both RealTree and Mossy Oak, bought what was on sale. My hunting outer layer pants are MO along with my long sleeve tee shirts. My my upper body mid layers are RT, so is my coat. Before that most everything was just woodland camo.

First camo I bought was an M65 Feild Jacket and a couple pairs of Mil Spec BDU cargo pants in woodland.

Been said many times, all you really need is to break up your outline. Even the red checkered wool lined coats do a little at breaking the outline up. I saw one of those a while back and really wanted it, but $140 was way out of my wallets range. If I had bought it, I would not hesitate to wear that during firearm season all the time.