Baiting help

Chef

23 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I figured it wouldn't take long for someone to take offense.  Reality is that you are hunting over bait that you planted as others might hunt over bait that they bought in a bag.  As Uncle Nicky said, its all about "keeping wildlife in the area" with the idea that it might help your hunting.  If one wasn't a hunter they wouldn't be planting plots OR buying bags of corn, so what is the difference?

I am not offended but since you asked the difference, at least with the plots we have, its still difficult to pinpoint where you might kill one that is coming to feed.  They are a bit too large in bow to kill everything that is feeding.  Many a night I sat in a stand on the edge of a plot watching deer feed out of range.  Not much different than hunting a crop field edge except smaller.

Baiting pretty much assures they will walk in to exactly where you want.  That said, I could not care less whether baiting is banned or approved.

Oh and baiting spreads CWD.  lol

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Glad you didn't take offense.  I've heard the argument that food plots help feed the deer thru winters and such, but I think an equally good argument could be made that deer should be left to fend for themselves like nature intended.  If we feed them can we then consider them to be truly "wild" animals? 

So do we consider all deer that feed on crops/gardens/shrubs/orchards non-wild?  I am guessing you don't hunt farm country much.  In those areas, deer are eating a lot of what man planted - suburbs too.

Big difference than the dinner bell at 6pm when the feeder goes off.  Again, just explaining my view of the differences but I don't care how others hunt.

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Is this a trick question?  Does it depend on the size of the buck killed?  Just guessing here.

On a serious note, an illegally baited killed buck is illegal in NY. To me, zero difference between that and a buck shot at midnight or a buck shot 5 days before opening day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

On a serious note, an illegally baited killed buck is illegal in NY. To me, zero difference between that and a buck shot at midnight or a buck shot 5 days before opening day.

I am glad to see that you are holding to high moral values - your firm will be proud.    How about the buck shot with plenty of light but 2 minutes after legal sunset?  THIS IS A TEST BIZ!

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I am glad to see that you are holding to high moral values - your firm will be proud.    How about the buck shot with plenty of light but 2 minutes after legal sunset?  THIS IS A TEST BIZ!

In NY? No, that would be out of season. In some other states, yes.

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So do we consider all deer that feed on crops/gardens/shrubs/orchards non-wild?  I am guessing you don't hunt farm country much.  In those areas, deer are eating a lot of what man planted - suburbs too.

Big difference than the dinner bell at 6pm when the feeder goes off.  Again, just explaining my view of the differences but I don't care how others hunt.

Deer will surely eat what they could find whether planted by man or nature.  The difference to me at least is that the food plot is specifically planted for deer while other things are not.

I don't know if that feeder going off will automatically bring them in.  I don't think either method is a slam dunk, but both will at least keep the deer in the vicinity.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am not offended but since you asked the difference, at least with the plots we have, its still difficult to pinpoint where you might kill one that is coming to feed.  They are a bit too large in bow to kill everything that is feeding.  Many a night I sat in a stand on the edge of a plot watching deer feed out of range.  Not much different than hunting a crop field edge except smaller.

Baiting pretty much assures they will walk in to exactly where you want.  That said, I could not care less whether baiting is banned or approved.

Oh and baiting spreads CWD.  lol

I'll let FSW answer you for me on that one.  LOL

If deer are starving or have little browse, then the sound of a feeder spitting corn may condition them to come eat, especially if they have competition for food. But they are pretty much creatures of habit, they will usually wait until almost until dark to come to a food plot, later if they feel pressured.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You ever watch when the feeders go off on the hunting shows.  Its seems like every buck in the square mile is there within minutes.  I have no personal experience but they sure like pavlovs dogs.  Maybe its edited that way, who knows.

The hunting shows definitely have a way of swaying our minds, that's for darned sure.  Heck, I'd even say that hunting shows are probably the main reason that planting food plots has become common place.  Years ago before cable/satellite TV and the endless stream of hunting shows food plots were unheard of.  Hunters just went out, planted their butts under a tree and hoped that a deer would stroll by.  Hardly anyone did the preparation that many do these days in anticipation of hunting season.  Firing their rifle the day before hunting season to see if it's still in zero is about the most they did!  LOL

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 7:00 PM, Hunter007 said:

Going to be a expsive deer there friend $ 2000  fine  and possible  jail time when they catch you .

Just  go visit 4 seasons  instead . He can probably hook you up with a hunt for about the same price minus breaking the law and jail .

i highly doubt it is a 2k fine and it is definitely  not jail time........

On 9/15/2019 at 7:00 PM, Hunter007 said:

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You ever watch when the feeders go off on the hunting shows.  Its seems like every buck in the square mile is there within minutes.  I have no personal experience but they sure like pavlovs dogs.  Maybe its edited that way, who knows.

26 minutes ago, steve863 said:

The hunting shows definitely have a way of swaying our minds, that's for darned sure.  Heck, I'd even say that hunting shows are probably the main reason that planting food plots has become common place.  Years ago before cable/satellite TV and the endless stream of hunting shows food plots were unheard of.  Hunters just went out, planted their butts under a tree and hoped that a deer would stroll by.  Hardly anyone did the preparation that many do these days in anticipation of hunting season.  Firing their rifle the day before hunting season to see if it's still in zero is about the most they did!  LOL

Hunting TV shows are wacky for sure. I've hunted with a few guides who have had their operations on TV shows. If the TV guy kills a buck day 1, they will still go out the subsequent days for footage of deer that they "passed up". They do the blood tracking on totally different days sometimes, etc.

10 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

i highly doubt it is a 2k fine and it is definitely  not jail time........

That is  what it says on Google  and they  take your hunting license   away .

Plus what ever the lawyer charges , ask moog  about that part but I'm  sure its  not cheep maybe as much as that fine or more .  

10 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Plus what ever the lawyer charges , ask moog  about that part but I'm  sure its  not cheep maybe as much as that fine or more .  

According to public bankruptcy filing records, Moog charges $3,750/hour for his legal services. But I'm sure you can find some hack lawyer out there to represent you for half that. Or a Paralegal for $1,500/hour.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

According to public bankruptcy filing records, Moog charges $3,750/hour for his legal services. But I'm sure you can find some hack lawyer out there to represent you for half that. Or a Paralegal for $1,500/hour.

That's a 10% discounted rate as per bankruptcy rules.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

It is a violation......  now you need a lawyer........  come on now...........  It is legal in most states and I would bet you 80 percent of hunters in westchester county feed deer....  I do not care what google says........

• Like 1

So what if one were to bait without the use of a feeder and spread corn or apples over a 1 acre area would this make it more acceptable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, cbyzerman said:

It is a violation......  now you need a lawyer........  come on now...........  It is legal in most states and I would bet you 80 percent of hunters in westchester county feed deer....  I do not care what google says........

A dought it  not in Westchester at least  .

Dam you just dropped the Bomb threads have gone on this one for months

80% of hunters in Westchester don’t need to feed deer anything..they need access to deer that are being fed by every homeowner who plants pretty flowers

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

80% of hunters in Westchester don’t need to feed deer anything..they need access to deer that are being fed by every homeowner who plants pretty flowers

Yep ,  My dads been in  rehab ,had knee replacement. 

And on the property I see deer all over the place but there is no way to get to them no hunting around there .  Most of Westchester is like that more or less .   You don't need bait just access  and patience.

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I have no doubt of it. The show is probably sponsored by Moultrie or some other feeder maker. I HAVE seen deer & other wildlife come out to a feeder a short time (hour or two) after the feeder goes off, but that's because the timer was set to go off right at daylight or a couple hours before sundown. I've also seen deer that are conditioned to hearing a truck with a salt thrower drop corn on a ranch road come out shortly after, but again, this is in Texas brush country, where food is at a premium. Not so much in agricultural areas where they can pick & choose most of the year.