Fletch in the Field 2019

Fletch

10/25 am 45

Hit the outer Hole stand for 2 hours. Got in a bit late and was only in stand like 10 minutes prior to legal. Got snooze crazy! Nice calm morning overcast. Saw on small flat at about 8:15. That was it.

PM 57

Hit the inner Hole stand for 2 hours. Very calm and quiet night. Didn't see or hear a thing. Jumped two flats on the way out.

• Like 1

10/26 am 41

Down in the outer Hole for 3.5 hours. Saw one small buck at 7:30 and that was it. Bro saw zip up top. 

10/26 pm 55

Headed out to the Island in my stand in back of the corn. Sat for 2.5 hours and zip except for what I think was a flock of about 10 herons. Did not even see a deer on the long ride home. There is still tons of corn up.

10/31 an 57

Out in the far stand out back for 1.5 hours. Wet ground and quiet out. Felt deery. Around 8am had a nice buck go by behind me at 70+ yards. Nice 7-8 point 2-3 yr old with real dark coat. He headed down the creek bottom towards the tower stand. I pulled the cards down there but did not get him on cam. I,m thinking he went up behind the houses. Hope he shows up this weekend in front of the kids.

After that it stated to pour and I got pretty soaked.

• Like 1

11/2 pm 52

Out in the tower for first sit this year. My 19 yo daughter was on her first ever hunt. 10 minutes in we had a small 4 point come in. If he’d been 4-5 yards closer I’d have let her shoot. He came back 15 minutes later farther out and wandered off. We sat a bit over 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/3 am 37

Out in the tower with my daughter again. We tried out the heat in there today and man is it warm! We did have a nice 4-6 point come in and was headed right toward our shooting lane and just turned and went back where he came from. He was not in our wind, he did not spook, he did not walk across our trail in...just some 6th sense. It was so close 10 more yards. Then later we had a black cat come down our trail and take a nap for a while, it got up pounced in the grass and got a mouse or something. He proceeded to eat his catch then headed back wherever he came from. I guess he was giving us a lesson on how to hunt lol!

She did great and sat for 4 hours. She already emailed me last night trying to figure out how to get home this week for a day to hunt another morning before crossbow ends. 

• Like 1

11/5 pm 41

Hit up the state down the road. I went in to set up on the ground above where they come out of a swamp. I got situated around 3:20 or so. About 15 minutes later I hear crashing and see deer running in the swamp towards me. The first is a doe and she does not stop until she is in a thicket to my right maybe 60 yards out. The buck a nice 2.5 year old 8,hangs up and picks me off and stops at 30 yards and does the stare off for 10-15 minutes. He then comes 5 yards closer and stops broadside wide open staring at me for another 5 minutes. He then follows the doe into the thicket. I can just see him back in there about 60 yards. I hear him snort wheeze. He stays right in that spot looking at me. I see more movement coming out of the swamp and see a small spike I think milling around. He veers off after a few. Then about 15 minutes later I hear walking behind me. It gets so close its almost to me. I slowly move to peek around the big tree I am tucked behind. Mistake it saw me move. Nice big 3.5 or better at least 8 point 17 or so inches wide takes off from 15 yards behind me. Me gets out 50 yards and stops broadside then blows and takes off. The smaller 8 and doe are still on the other side of me and I hear him snort wheeze again. It finally got end of legal and I snuck out. He is probably still standing there. Fun night! All I want is a doe not multiple shots at bigger deer than i shot lol!

• Like 2

11/7 pm 35

Spent 2.5 hours on the ground overlooking the swamp on state land I was at couple days ago. Light rain turned to wet snow. Started sticking a bit. Thought for sure I’d see deer tonight but no go.

11/8 am 25

Down in the outer Hole for a 4 hour sit. It was chilly. Snowed an inch on me in 45 minutes but I was actually pretty comphy. Just packed it in due to lack of deer movement.

I went home and went out back quick to pull some cards. On way out I catch movement in the gully off the lawn. A fawn browsing then out comes mama. Both wander right up past me. Moms broadside at 30 yards. I had the crossbow dead on her but let them walk. She was headed right to the tower plot that the kids hunt and I really want one of them to shoot one there.

11/8 pm 27

Down in my brush blind over the swamp on state land down the road. Got in about 2, at close to 4:30 I peak around to my left and see deer about 80 out headed my way. I get the crossbow ready as they come in. A nice doe and fawn. She hits my first lane about 30 out and I had a pretty decent shot but I realized she has no clue I’m there and headed to walk right in front of me close. She hits my next lane maybe 12 yards from me perfect broadside. I hit her good, a pass through and I saw blood coming outa her on her second step running away. She ran down into swamp maybe 70 yards and I saw her pile up. I got my gear packed up and followed the trail. Lot less blood in the snow than usual for a double lung but after the gist 40 yards it got going good.

Nice size doe. I like how the ground blind has been producing. Too bad in a few days it will be overrun with pumpkins!!

11/9 am 23

Took the daughters boyfriend out in the tower for his first ever hunt. We ended up seeing a doe with two fawns one unknown and a cruising 2.5 yo buck. Nothing in range but he enjoyed it.

11/9 pm 

I took my bro in to set him up over the swamp on state and I wandered around doing some exploring. He did see a couple too far out then another hunter bumped the area up.

11/10 pm 41

Down in the inner Hole for the first time in about 10 days or so. Sta 2 hours and nada. My brother was up on the ridge above and had a nice buck come in 10 minutes after he sat down. The buck would not come in range to any calls until he snort wheezed him. The buck turned and came right in. He took the shot at 18 yards and the deer froze, walked slowly 70 yards and fell over. After a minute he got up went 8-10 feet and fell over again. He did this 6 or so times until he went out of site then he heard more crashing. He visibly by binos watch blood come out the deers mouth so we figured that in when we decided to go back after 2 hours to track. The area has a lot of yotes and rain was moving in. I also put out for input here on the forum which we were thankful for the extra ears and thoughts while we waited. The track was not easy but we eventually rolled up on a very dead and stiff 9 point. 17" inside spread. 

• Like 1

11/12 pm 23

Cold windy and deerless. Sat for 1.5 hours over the state swamp. No tracks anywhere, not in woods not on drive, not in the lawn. Deer have been hunkered for a day and a half now. The morning may be good. I’m losing interest in freezing hunts for does.

11/14 am 24

Down in the outer Hole. Snow on the ground and tracks all over from the last 2 days. Lots of solo cruising buck tracks. Amazing how much the cross the roads........

Had a nice 2.5 year old 8 point stroll by at 36 yards. This is killing me lol. I have had one shot at a doe all season and she's dead as dirt. I could have buried a dozen bucks so far lol.