Fletch in the Field 2019

Fletch

Getting itchy!!

Spent a bunch of time getting the tower stand listed as a 4Star stand. All finished off and looking to get my daughter out for her first hunts this year. She is 19 and while I took her when she was small she never really picked it up. She loves eating venison and venison tacos are her favorite. She asked last year and took her course so we will see.

Got a ladder stand set up way back on the Island 2 weeks ago. Also scouted out a second spot there to put a climber. Lots of corn and some beans. Should be a good year there.

Cleaned out the trails and checked all the stands out back last week. 

This weekend I need to get to my other local spot to clear trails and check a few stands.

Been shooting the bow and will start getting the gear ready over the next week.

I have no trips planned this year so a little bummed there. 

Looking forward to some frosty mornings on the stand!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

10/1/19 am   63 degrees

Was down in the outer Hole stand at 6:15 am. Very warm and still very leafy. Had what I am pretty sure was a doe behind me at 80 yards at 8 am. Around 8:45 am had a small buck appear before me. Never heard him he was just there. He walked into my lane at 20 yards and wandered away. Small 4 point. I got down after 2 hours to hit work. Not a bad first sit. Too hot to get out later.

10/2 pm 53

Down in the outer Hole stand for 3 hours. Thought the big temp drop today would have them moving. Not a thing until 6:40 then saw a 1.5 yo 7 point and another behind it. Did not get a dress look at the second but think it was a smaller buck.

Interesting is the 7 points rack was pinkish like he had just lost velvet. The 4 point yesterday was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10/5 am 32

Down in the out hole for 3 hours. I had a decent looking buck coming in right after legal. He must of caught me moving to put my binos in my pack. He turned and eased off out of site. No bueno. Did not have any other action. Bro saw two doe up top.

10/7 pm 59

Another warm sit with skeeters! Sat 2 hours in the deep Hole. Had one small buck 2-4 points about 60 yards back in the thick. That’s my last sit until after Columbus Day. Have a few day Business trip to Chicago then a long weekend in Old Forge. Keep knocking em down!

• Like 1

10/16 am 51

Hunted the outer Hole stand for 2 hours this morning. I heard one walk by me a bout 30 minutes before light. After that it was all downhill! The movement has been terrible this week. Hopefully things pick up this weekend.

• Like 1

10/19 am 37

Out in the corn stand on the island. Forgot it was opener of duck and pheasant. Crazy shooting, sat 3 hours nada. Bro saw 3 before the shooting started.

11/19 pm 53

Out in the inner Hole for 2 hours. Nice night nada lowered bow at end of legal then heard one walk by outa sight. I jumped it on way out and saw azz.
Bro saw a 3pt passed a doe and fawn outa range again right before dark.

10/20 am 51

Hunted the outer Hole this morn for 3.5 hours. A bit after 8 I had a chocolate colored 5 point go by. It was pretty slow. Just as I was getting ready to get down a yote came by. I took a crack at him he was in a bit of twigs and I just wiffed. Bad part is he was where it is real wet and muddy and that arrow went right into the mud gonezo. :-(

10/20 pm 61

Out back in the far stand for 1.5 hours. Warm crunchy and nothing. It's gotta pick up soon! Gimme a couple inches of snow!

• Like 1

10/21 pm 61

So I woke up this morning to go out and I look out the window and its pure white fog. Rolled over and went back to bed. Got out of work about 3:30ish and dug out the climber and decided to hit the state land down the road. I was going in blind and figured it was so warm it would just be a bit of exploring. I wandered around for a bit around a spot I scouted last year in late season. I found a spot that looked promising, had a couple scrapes off to one side and a couple good lanes to shoot. I had some little patches of clear cut about 2-3 years old where it was thick and I was in a pine between these. I just get up the tree and get my jacket on. Sit down and text my bro I'm on an exploratory mission. I hit send and hear something behind me. I turn and see this buck come right in same direction I came from. He just comes in too perfect and suicided himself at 15 yards. I hit lungs and the top of the heart. He did a 50 yard death run and piled up. I was not in the stand 10 minutes. I was not sure how far I was from the road as I had looped a bit so got oriented and hauled the gear out and came back for the deer. He is not a biggin but after seeing 1 deer in the last 15.5 hours on stand in my sets this was to good too pass up!!

I had just put my last 6 pounds of ground as jerky in the dehydrator this morn so plenty of room for him in the freezer. Now I can look for a fat doe and focus on getting the kids on some deer. I have two newbs, my daughter and her boyfriend come crossbow and my son as well.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 4

10/24 pm 58

Headed over to the state land where I got the buck earlier this week. On the shot the arrow hit the elbow bone going out and stopped the pass through so when he took off the arrow split in three pieces. I had the lighted nock end, found the middle in the deer and did not find the broad head end. I ended up finding that no problem It is already cleaned test shot and sharpened and back in the quiver to shoot the next one.

I then wandered on the other side of the street and found a spot to watch on the ground for the last hour but no luck. On the way home a guy in a truck had just wacked a young buck just around the corner from the house headed towards my place. He did not survive the encounter.