My daddy taught me young how to hunt and how to whittle
He taught me how to work and play a tune on the fiddle
Taught me how to love and how to give just a little
Thank God I'm a country boy

Well, I got me a fine wife, I got me old fiddle
When the sun's comin' up I got cakes on the griddle
Life ain't nothing but a funny, funny riddle
Thank God I'm a country boy

Been helping my buddy with a big batch of 2nd cut this week.  He makes his living selling hay.  He has mowed 70-80 acres since Sunday.  I haven't got to do any tractor work, just hauling and unloading wagons.  I have farmed pretty much my whole life.  We've really been going after it, running 2 tedders, 2 rakes, 2 square balers and one round baler.  If the weather holds, this hay will be big bonus for him.  I will be glad when the days are too short to bale hay and I can focus on firewood and getting the rest of my stand ready for bow season.

Been helping my buddy with a big batch of 2nd cut this week.  He makes his living selling hay.  He has mowed 70-80 acres since Sunday.  I haven't got to do any tractor work, just hauling and unloading wagons.  I have farmed pretty much my whole life.  We've really been going after it, running 2 tedders, 2 rakes, 2 square balers and one round baler.  If the weather holds, this hay will be big bonus for him.  I will be glad when the days are too short to bale hay and I can focus on firewood and getting the rest of my stand ready for bow season.
Weeks like this in Sept. Are darn rare, I laid down another 1/5 th of my hay here in pa and there are tons of hay hitting the ground this week here. But doing it lol alone I am not 20 anymore so 3 or 400 bales is about my limit per day anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I hope you wear hearing protection. These old tractors are the culprit for farmer hearing loss... generally worse in the left ear from constantly turning your head to the right to check the implement tracking behind you. 
Nope. All my tractors have good mufflers and are rarely if ever roaring wide open. I need to hear what is going on with the machine and implement when in operation. A lot of times you can get it shut down before it comes apart if you hear something happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reeltime said:

Been mowing one of my pastures for 4 hours and been waiting for the sunrise and as always it never disappoints.

a2d693fe9e5c4b0558c81a121187bfdd.jpgb57a061094b6205fd7affbf794733254.jpg2bbb1250c4648f02bf47d926ba27406a.jpg

I really miss it on mornings like this.  Stuck in an office.  I know I'm remembering through some Rosey glasses, but I miss time with my grandfather on the farm.  Just glad I still get to do this sort of thing with my dad once in a while.  Hope my girls get the privilege of doing so someday too.

9 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Nope. All my tractors have good mufflers and are rarely if ever roaring wide open. I need to hear what is going on with the machine and implement when in operation. A lot of times you can get it shut down before it comes apart if you hear something happening.

Good thinking ,it's always easier to replace your hearing then a tractor part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Finely finished the small pasture. Now onto the next one to mow till the dew burns off so I can rake and bale hay.
A pic just for you moog50 I never go anywhere without my bottle. Lol.690d3b09633a929fc14fd35733343e2c.jpg8562697050ae134d9babbf757d569200.jpg

Can confirm; that Mountain Dew bottle is always kicking around RTs boat!

31 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Super MTA one of the few around. Was my dads favorite tractor since the day we finished the full restoration of it 25 years ago.

Absolutely a fine machine...  I always wanted an MD but never found one in my price zone.  I was always red over green...ha ha

I've had enough! Last load is in the barn and can wait till the am to get put away. Ended up with 504 bales, perfect since I baled with my 504 tractor. Might have to buy my first ever lottery ticket.

Came back to get my truck and trailer and my yard inspectors were out front and didn't even care I was there.

0e64988fdd59c40830cdb364f95a1cd1.jpg&key=f9dcafbecd7e2fad66c47f83e5fbd92ec4f3baaef7e77f6e1e10a013ba90fc69e35494d58c26245636ac0c893694d40c.jpg&key=c9a89ec3ba1e3e41cf8fa6a7d3cc2ecc1d8ec2dc55ead398ec119e9114e5020334d6be86b3456687d6faa8bce92b3e97.jpg&key=c9a9237a6ba9c8a8ad8dd173a486b70c5edc37db7bff5c39a9f4ecf327c9ddda4e237c0aa6c66133a5ec06c5bbefd5ef.jpg&key=abc9916eca43cc5823ed91abaf1d2f9d0fcd18f7ce7f61ca67e1ed33bc750abc

• Like 1

Is that an old Hayliner?  Takes me back.  Blisters on the hands, sunburn on the back of the neck, arms covered in little hay-needle marks.  Spend an hour in the creek down in the valley by falls getting the sting of the burn out in 50 degree water.  Certain amount of Darwinism involved in haying with a 70+ year old man from age 12 to 30 every summer.  RIP Grumps, hope you're navigating your Flying Tiger over the Himalayas somewhere in the afterlife.