Game plan?

First-light

So my Nephew let me know he has off the week of Oct 7th. He wanted to know if I would go up that week to hunt. There will be 4 of us going. Now I usually do a 3 day early season hunt. You never know how warm it will be. Here is my question. We have probably 300 acres of soy beans planted around my property. We have been in beans before but I just don't remember when they were cut. Tops are all turning yellow. If all this gets cut it sure will change the travel patterns. We have corn but it didn't do well this year. Any thoughts?

My experience is that whether cut or not, beans yellow before Oct. 1 and then are not a preferred food source unless left up until late season.    I never rely on beans planted by the adjoining farmer and the shift usually happens only a week or less before season opens.

I would focus on corn and acorns if you have them dropping.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

I feel your pain. The one property I hunt is AG and rotates between corn and soybeans. The years with soybeans make for seeing great deer prior to the season. Get's your blood pumping. and then they turn yellow prior to the season and the deer evaporate on us. They just don't seem to have a palate for the yellow leaves. They seem to move to where the corn is at that point. The years with corn on the fields have few sightings pre season but the best bow seasons. Then the corn is harvested and that all changes again. If they don't plow the bean stubble under immediately that will be one killer late season draw. Left over beans AND I have seen them dig up the root structure and stand there chewing it with dirt falling out of their mouths. ---My 2 cents- but I think you already knew what was gonna happen. lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

i have started season with a field of still green soybeans but as soon as they turn the deer seem to leave them.  But when they were green even had deer bedding right there in them. I usually root for corn when they plant every year. But the beans are always a good spot to get pics of deer in the area before season to see whats around 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, First-light said:

So my Nephew let me know he has off the week of Oct 7th. He wanted to know if I would go up that week to hunt. There will be 4 of us going. Now I usually do a 3 day early season hunt. You never know how warm it will be. Here is my question. We have probably 300 acres of soy beans planted around my property. We have been in beans before but I just don't remember when they were cut. Tops are all turning yellow. If all this gets cut it sure will change the travel patterns. We have corn but it didn't do well this year. Any thoughts?

my old lease had a massive soy bean field on either side, we never had deer in them. Is it just early summer that they hit them? We hated the bean years, loved the corn years

( I posted this before reading the replies that seem to confirm my experience)

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 1

We have around 40 acres of beans on our lease this year.....they are starting to yellow but the deer are still hammering them. We may get lucky cause the neighbor has corn and the pattern won't switch much when their appetite switches from beans to corn very shortly

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If there is any green left to the beans they may still be eating in the green parts.. As they turn yellow and mature they are basically un desired.. especially if there is a lot of greenery around still. Id focus more on hard and soft mast as well as corn, if your beans are not green anymore.., or in between 

• Like 1