Bear hunting success

Grizz1219

Got a new farm in MA this year, well over 450 acres, but farmer hates bears. Said I could hunt anything I wanted there, just had to hunt bears. So, started scouting in July, set up stands and ground blinds. Working with my Son and a youth hunter I've been mentoring for the past 5 years we all got into it. Started seeing bears hitting the corn the end of August, stands were set up perfectly. Opening day of the first season (3 weeks long) was Sept. 3rd, we had seen zero sign of any other people hunting.. My son and I go out, a guy walks into my son on stand 30 minutes before end of hunting time, say's "ooops" and walks off.. My son texts me, "My hunt is now over". I check my cameras, 4 other guys walking around during the day with rifles. I'm thinking "really?"... Whatever.. not my land, hunt how you want.. We hunt that week, no bears, just seeing more signs of other hunters.. Second week, my son can't go, youth hunter is big into hockey (An awesome player, 16.5 years old playing in a U20 league with 19 and 20 year old's), he can't go so I bring a buddy that owns the parents of my GSP Red and Sky. I can't go by myself because of an inflamed bicep tendon I can't drag anything. we hunt 2nd week, I pass on a small bear at like 2 yards, he see's another hunter and 2 couples, 1 driving around the cornfield he was hunting in a truck, the other couple just walking around.. I'm thinking "Good lord, it has to get better".. I hunt this week, last week of the first season, weather is PERFECT... Temps are cool... winds are perfect for our stands.. don't see any first night.. Last night, my last night I can hunt, my son was supposed to go, had to work, youth hunter and I go.. 6:45 I shoot this brute at 20 yards, 30 minutes later, my youth hunter, first time he's hunted now, shoots a small sow..  No one was out all week, they gave up, we persisted.. and scored big!!! Sorry for the long story but it was worth telling I think.. I'll have him weighed soon and post his weight.. check the skull on this guy!!!!  This is the first year I ever hunted bears other than one hunt back in 1990, in Canada with the bow.. Going to be damn near impossible to beat this one but I will keep trying.. I am hooked.. 

aaaMabear1.jpg

aaaMabear2.jpg

aaaMabear3.jpg

aaaMabear4.jpg

aaaMabear5.jpg

aaaMabear6.jpg

• Like 28