This is why people are angry.

Salmon_Run

In July an old guy crosses two lanes of traffic with his suv, makes an illegal left turn directly in the path of my F-350 truck causing $ 3800.00 worth of damage and loss of use of my truck for a week. The police come, investigate, document and issue him a ticket. Luckily he had no passengers on the left side of his vehicle because they would have been injured.

Well, I get a letter in the mail from his insurance company yesterday stating that I was deemed 70% liable for the damages because I "failed to lookout and take evasive action". I was dumbfounded and contacted the company directly and the logic used was that they (insurance company) only use the police report as "one tool" to assess liability. The company rep stated that he had lesser liability because in his statement to them he clearly stated that " I almost made it" before the collision.... defies all logic and it's a wonder people are upset over this crap.

I'm still steaming mad and now have to apply for arbitration to settle the claim..... 

• Like 1

Of course "HIS" insurance company will try to pass the buck if possible. That is what they do!! Like if you were injured, they will ALWAYS try to get you to settle for a lowball amount. That is why you get an attorney. Never take what they say. Or sign off on anything!

• Like 1

Call your ins. co. samething happen to my son but he was stopped at a light with a car in front of him and the light was red and this girl ran right into the back of him and her ins. Co said he was 40% responsible so we just handed it over to are ins to take care of it. She also got a ticket.

• Like 1

Damn it, people, PLEASE get a dash cam for all your vehicles. NOW. TODAY.

Go to Amazon.com and order it. No more excuses.

OP you got absolutely screwed. I'm really sorry to hear it. But next time it won't happen because you'll have a dash cam in your vehicle. Buy it from amazon, wire it up. I don't care the brand. Just do it. Everybody should be rolling a dash cam.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

Call your ins. co. samething happen to my son but he was stopped at a light with a car in front of him and the light was red and this girl ran right into the back of him and her ins. Co said he was 40% responsible so we just handed it over to are ins to take care of it. She also got a ticket.

My dad got in a minor fender bender years ago. A few grand or whatever, like OP. He wasn't at fault, but there was some friction by the other side and his insurance company just ate it. As far as they are concerned it's simply not worth the time and effort to fight a small thing, even though as the person involved it's injuring not just money wise, but being screwed/lied to. We know it's wrong and it is infuriating. This is why dash cams are the very best tool one can use in avoiding being screwed in situations like this.

• Like 1

Sometimes ins co can be good guys on your side. 

Two years ago my wife gently rear ended a guy in Harlem. 100% her fault. By gently, there was no damage to his car and a small dent in her plastic bumper. 

He got out of the car and ignored her asking if he was okay and just looked at his bumper. He then got back into the car and called the EMT. When they and the cops arrived he gingerly got out of the car, this time with a cane. 

A few weeks later she received notice of a lawsuit for 5 million dollars. Pain and suffering. Our insurance told us not to sweat it and a month later they settled for 18k. Our rates stayed the same. 

Anyway, dispute it. 

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Holy F again. Keep your font to reasonable size.  We can hear you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes ins co can be good guys on your side. 
Two years ago my wife gently rear ended a guy in Harlem. 100% her fault. By gently, there was no damage to his car and a small dent in her plastic bumper. 
He got out of the car and ignored her asking if he was okay and just looked at his bumper. He then got back into the car and called the EMT. When they and the cops arrived he gingerly got out of the car, this time with a cane. 
A few weeks later she received notice of a lawsuit for 5 million dollars. Pain and suffering. Our insurance told us not to sweat it and a month later they settled for 18k. Our rates stayed the same. 
Anyway, dispute it. 

This is equally irritating- that POS pocketed 18K for a boo-boo?’ Glad it didn’t cost you but wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I have turned my insurance company on the case and told them to fight it as far as they can and I'll gladly assist in the arbitration process. It just twists your shorts into a knot knowing your getting screwed and companies settle because it's cheaper than fighting the case.

He cut across two lanes of traffic entering my lane at a 45 degree angle in front of me so I had no warning he was there until he was just inches away. Thankfully no passengers or they would have worn a big and sturdy F-350 bumper....

I called the court and district attorney who is handling the ticket to voice my displeasure over losing my deductible and not reducing this to a parking ticket as often happens.

I needed to rant and this seemed like a safe place; my wife took delight in listening to me handle the lady on the phone from his insurance company. She had no logical explanations and didn't appreciate being "cross examined" at length by me.

I received a letter from them on the 13th asking for my statement with no return envelope to mail it in (go figure) and on the 16th a letter stating they completed their comprehensive investigation.

Be safe out there and falls coming !!!!  

• Like 3

OMFG, I'd be PO'ed with all the above situations too! But... think we all know what the MO of ALL insurance companies, whether auto, homeowner, med/health, etc, is when making their money. Collect exhortation premiums, almost "automatically" refuse initial payout requests and while deliberately putting the onus on the policy holder to negotiate a covered or fair payment.

15 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

In July an old guy crosses two lanes of traffic with his suv, makes an illegal left turn directly in the path of my F-350 truck causing $ 3800.00 worth of damage and loss of use of my truck for a week. The police come, investigate, document and issue him a ticket. Luckily he had no passengers on the left side of his vehicle because they would have been injured.

Well, I get a letter in the mail from his insurance company yesterday stating that I was deemed 70% liable for the damages because I "failed to lookout and take evasive action". I was dumbfounded and contacted the company directly and the logic used was that they (insurance company) only use the police report as "one tool" to assess liability. The company rep stated that he had lesser liability because in his statement to them he clearly stated that " I almost made it" before the collision.... defies all logic and it's a wonder people are upset over this crap.

I'm still steaming mad and now have to apply for arbitration to settle the claim..... 

" Deemed Liable "  by whom ? Someone who was not there ? Insurance companies are a joke !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

I have turned my insurance company on the case and told them to fight it as far as they can and I'll gladly assist in the arbitration process. It just twists your shorts into a knot knowing your getting screwed and companies settle because it's cheaper than fighting the case.

He cut across two lanes of traffic entering my lane at a 45 degree angle in front of me so I had no warning he was there until he was just inches away. Thankfully no passengers or they would have worn a big and sturdy F-350 bumper....

I called the court and district attorney who is handling the ticket to voice my displeasure over losing my deductible and not reducing this to a parking ticket as often happens.

I needed to rant and this seemed like a safe place; my wife took delight in listening to me handle the lady on the phone from his insurance company. She had no logical explanations and didn't appreciate being "cross examined" at length by me.

I received a letter from them on the 13th asking for my statement with no return envelope to mail it in (go figure) and on the 16th a letter stating they completed their comprehensive investigation.

Be safe out there and falls coming !!!!  

I would think that the pain in your neck and back right now is attributed to his actions. 

• Like 2