How big is your float

moog5050

We all have some float over the target when shooting our bow at 20yds.  1”, 2, 3, 5, etc.    I was noticing today that when I settle well the float is an inch or so but if I am not on my game it can be 2” or more at 20.  Perfect DL also makes a marked difference for me in size of float.   Just curious.   I still tend to try to time the float too which I know is not recommended.   

• Like 1

I also usually float the pin over my target about an inch. I use to get target panic really bad and that float would open up much more luckily this year I've been keeping the target panic under control and keeping the float to about an inch.

• Like 2

I played with a SCRATCH golfer a while
Back who had a similar issue with his golf swing. He would get to the top of his swing and freeze(and then start laughing). He could NOT get his swing to move forward. Took him 3 tries on some shots to start his downswing. Painful (and slowed pace of play terribly) to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

We all have some float over the target when shooting our bow at 20yds.  1”, 2, 3, 5, etc.    I was noticing today that when I settle well the float is an inch or so but if I am not on my game it can be 2” or more at 20.  Perfect DL also makes a marked difference for me in size of float.   Just curious.   I still tend to try to time the float too which I know is not recommended.   

I still time it, too. 

My biggest thing is not to think about my shot. I have to just aim and shoot. When I get in my head, I float bad.

Edited by Skillet

When I am on and in the zone very little, but tonight my son and I went to the club and shot their outdoor paper targets. Uneven ground so no optimum foot placement / stance , slightly up hill and  angled targets. So it was a rough night for me, definitely had some major rust going on. I couldn’t settle in the middle and had some major float going on . One realizes quickly that shooting in the nice even yard is easy compared to actual woods shooting. 

Edited by rob-c

Jermy I have the same thing that's happening to you happen to me every year while target shooting. I some times i have to walk to with in 10' of the target close my eyes draw the bow back anchor open my eyes and release.  I repeat that for a little while.  It helps big time when I get target panic.

10 minutes ago, Red said:

Jermy I have the same thing that's happening to you happen to me every year while target shooting. I some times i have to walk to with in 10' of the target close my eyes draw the bow back anchor open my eyes and release.  I repeat that for a little while.  It helps big time when I get target panic.

I worked with jeff at niagara outdoors in the spring time to get over it . If i do the exercises and drills he showed me ,i can keep it suppressed . The pressure to shoot a good score during league really brings it out.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I worked with jeff at niagara outdoors in the spring time to get over it . If i do the exercises and drills he showed me ,i can keep it suppressed . The pressure to shoot a good score during league really brings it out.  

That's cool that you have drills to help you keep it suppressed.  I wouldn't be able to shoot in a league or in a big group of people I would feel like I sucked and that would bring the target panic out quick.

The target panic is a huge PIA.

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It sucks and its frustrating as all heck ,some days i can be comfortable and other days i lock up below where i wanna hit.

I have had mild problems with it and found what helps me is moving my hips forward to raise the pin up. Forget about the arm. It makes you lean back a little and raises the pin.

2 hours ago, sodfather said:

I use to have target panic and still do after to many arrows . But what helped me was #1 changing my release and my grip. I also stopped thinking about how I’m breathing. That use to mess with my head 

I recently went through some issues with arrows hitting all over the place. Part of the problem was the bow, part of the problem was me. A simple tiny movement down, with the rest helped the bow part. (thanks moog)

Due to shoulder issues, and a new bow this year, I noticed my form changed slightly, after filming some shots with my phone. I was moving the bow arm during the shot. And punching the release instead of squeezing it, during the float when the pin hit the target.

So my grip now has my bow hand in a V, with fingers forward and not curled around the on the grip. And with my mental check down of the shot, I now include "SQUEEZE" and "FOLLOW THROUGH" while the pin floats near/around the target.

What a huge turn around in accuracy by making these simple adjustments. Sometimes it really is the little things that make a big difference. 

• Like 1