What are your expectations for the season?

Robhuntandfish

Continue doing what we have for the past 5 seasons... passing on the young bucks and wait out and hope to connect with the mature bucks. Take a doe late season for meat.  I don't like to take a doe before the rut is over as you never know that the doe you kill early may be the doe that brings the big buck past you later.

Three deer of any combination - hopefully a doe from the “forest rehabilitation program.” I would love to stick a coyote with the bow it would be a yote of opportunity while deer hunting.i would love to see my hunting partners father knock one down- he hasn’t killed a deer in over 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I recently found out that two neighbor's kids 14 and 18 want to hunt this coming season and their Dads don't hunt so their looking for someone to hunt with and show them the ropes . Well I have to tell ya the first thought that came to mind was " no need to drag Deer this season " !  The 14 year old I will take during Bow/Crossbow and allow him to drag his or my Deer (I have no shame) and the 18 year old during gun season and do the same . I'm just trying to be a Team Player .... LOL !

• Like 6

I expect to see nothing.  I expect someone to get stuck in the snow and not be able to get near the "house".  I expect the temps to really drop and have all the pipes freeze. I expect the cabin to be over crowded, even with only 3 people there. 

I expect to not do much hunting. I will have a first timer with me, so I will no doubt have them with me the whole time, so I can't do what I normally do or where I normally go. I expect them to be ill prepared and cold. This will take a lot more planning on my part. 

6 minutes ago, cas said:

I expect to see nothing.  I expect someone to get stuck in the snow and not be able to get near the "house".  I expect the temps to really drop and have all the pipes freeze. I expect the cabin to be over crowded, even with only 3 people there. 

I expect to not do much hunting. I will have a first timer with me, so I will no doubt have them with me the whole time, so I can't do what I normally do or where I normally go. I expect them to be ill prepared and cold. This will take a lot more planning on my part. 

Sounds divine. That glass apparently half full ?

• Like 2

I hunt the Adirondacks so it's always about the total experience of being at camp and hunting rather than deer take. I will not pass on a legal buck, I set no expectations about harvest whatsoever...

I used to have access to the Southern zone on a farm but due to the death of my friend that was lost. When hunting at his family farm it was about harvesting younger bucks and filling the freezer.

Best of luck to all.....  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cas said:

Sounds like fun to me....Bring lots of bourbon, some warm sleeping bags and a hooker...PERFECT opening weekend  !!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I picture Moog shaking his head in shame, realizing why his Christmas tree farm hasn't been successful.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I am actually anti-Christmas tree.  Pagan ritual and I am lazy.  Now I have a dilemma with the. Button bucks. 

• Like 1

Damn Wolc...Now I gotta shoot a button buck just to see if his liver is better than the average deer.. Not really interested  in eating his cojones, though....Maybe I could cook them up for The Mermaid and tell her that they are Canisteo River  Oysters...

She likes oysters...…...Hmmmmm….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1