Your favorite hunting movie of all time

Hunter007

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I was disappointed with that one.  Too bad they substituted European stags and Western elk for PA whitetails.    Clearly, the Hollywood types have not got a clue when it comes to real hunting.   On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate that movie about a 6.  At least the steel-mill scenes were realistic and the acting was good.       

You are aware that it’s a dramatic movie, right? It’s all pretend? That they didn’t use live rounds during the Russian roulette scenes? 

Whether they used a stag or elk to make the dramatic point is irrelevant. What’s important in the hunting scenes is the gearing up in the car. TDH is a masterpiece of filmmaking. 

If “Hollywood” felt that “they” could make money with a hunting movie, there would be a new one every week. 

• Like 1

If you’re in this forum and haven’t seen Jeremiah Johnson you should be ashamed of yourself. Watch it three times ASAP. And read Crow Killer about the real John Johnston he was a way bigger badass than the movie portrayed. And was born in New Jersey just like I was lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are aware that it’s a dramatic movie, right? It’s all pretend? That they didn’t use live rounds during the Russian roulette scenes? 

Whether they used a stag or elk to make the dramatic point is irrelevant. What’s important in the hunting scenes is the gearing up in the car. TDH is a masterpiece of filmmaking. 

If “Hollywood” felt that “they” could make money with a hunting movie, there would be a new one every week. 

I agree with Wolc on this, it takes you out of the movie when a stupid little thing like that happens. You’d think even some schmuck holding a boom mic would say hey, those animals don’t exist in Pennsylvania. Some directors are maniacs about things being accurate. The scene in Unforgiven when Clint shoots Gene Hackman from a foot away indoors and the shot rings out like they’re on a prairie irks me too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Jaws is top 5 movie of all time in my book due to the cinematography and music and acting and one liners...and certainly fits the “hunting category”

J.J. is a solid choice as is the Reverent

Red Dawn has that amazing hunt scene (follow up of shot really)and probably one of my first childhood memories of hunting(I didn’t start hunting until my twenties)

But y’all missed the slam dunk....
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire hunter. It has everything- history, vampires, factual accuracy and badass weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I am sorry not to remember the name, but a Russian movie came out based on the book/ logs of a Russian military/ mapping officer in Siberia, in the 1900s...It was mostly about the elderly native Siberian hunter/ trapper who assisted them. It was great, showing his skills, wilderness survival methods, etc. Subtitled, but a great movie...

Akira Kurosawa's "Dersu Uzala" ,  one of my favorites.

Based on the non fiction book "Dersu the trapper". (though it has different names in different locations/printings) 

I've watched In The Blood many times and own it on DVD. 

3 hours ago, left field said:

Given the title of the film, it would have been nice if a "real" deer (aka: a PA whitetail, as the author of the book surely intended) at least made an appearance, don't you think ?  At least they found a few old shoulder mounts to display in a few scenes, but a live whitetail or two would have moved the movie up a few notches for me.  I also did not care for the Russian roulette stuff.  The movie had some good stuff, but almost as much bad.  The single biggest strike against it for me was the absence of any "live" whitetails.   I am sure that went unnoticed by most of the non-hunting general public.  The title was the only reason I watched the film.  The only consolation for me was that I watched it on a free VCR tape and did not have to pay for a movie ticket or sit thru any commercials.

13 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Apologies to First-light and Wolc 123......I should have seen your reply's on page 1. 

Nice catch Wolc 123 about the stags/elk instead of a whitetail.....I bet every deer hunter noticed it.

At least one was apparently not bothered by the missing "deer".             

Edited by wolc123

Lots of movies have inaccurate scenes that I see are glaringly  wrong . I knew in my young age that Walton mountain  didn't look right . Spanish moss in the trees ... ponderosa pine ? Catfish .in the mountain Brooks.  How about rio grand turkeys in the east ? I think I recall them having black tail deer  in more than one episode.  Look past it  we all did .

One of my favorite  books for fishing was the same way in the movie .  A river runs through it . Story line was great  movie was good . Couldn't stand that the rainbow trout had gnarly rounded off  fins and tails associated  with hatchery raised fish . They were half dead and pale. The one trout they showed looked like it was a salmon .

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Lots of movies have inaccurate scenes that I see are glaringly  wrong . I knew in my young age that Walton mountain  didn't look right . Spanish moss in the trees ... ponderosa pine ? Catfish .in the mountain Brooks.  How about rio grand turkeys in the east ? I think I recall them having black tail deer  in more than one episode.  Look past it  we all did .

One of my favorite  books for fishing was the same way in the movie .  A river runs through it . Story line was great  movie was good . Couldn't stand that the rainbow trout had gnarly rounded off  fins and tails associated  with hatchery raised fish . They were half dead and pale. The one trout they showed looked like it was a salmon .

Lots of movies have mistakes that make the final cut, but no other that I know of, rose to the degree of naming the movie "The Deerhunter" and not showing any deer.   Had I forked over the cash to see that one at the theater, I would have felt like I got robbed.      

I think that the mountain hunting scene, that Steve posted above, was filmed out on the West coast in the Cascade mountains.  I suppose that was a lot easier on the budget than traveling east to PA would have been.   Times were tough back then.  These days, they can afford to travel east and almost shut down a whole WNY town for a month to make a movie.  

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Lots of movies have mistakes that make the final cut, but no other that I know of, rose to the degree of naming the movie "The Deerhunter" and not showing any deer.   Had I forked over the cash to see that one at the theater, I would have felt like I got robbed.      

I think that the mountain hunting scene, that Steve posted above, was filmed out on the West coast in the Cascade mountains.  I suppose that was a lot easier on the budget than traveling east to PA would have been.   Times were tough back then.  These days, they can afford to travel east and almost shut down a whole WNY town for a month to make a movie.  

I have never seen any place in PA that resembled the terrain in  The Deer Hunter... THAT along with the red deer,,detracted from the movie for me....

Of course we must sometimes allow for a bit of " poetic license"   in Films......One of my very favorite films of all times, " Bridge on the River Kwai"  has Japanese prison camp  troops using British weapons, SMLE rifles, Sten submachine guns and Vickers water cooled machine guns...   However, though I have never read any documentation  regarding this,   it is very possible that  after the British surrender of Singapore, where  British forces surrendered mass quantities of arms and muntitions to the Japs,  it is possible that some rear echelon troops such as prison camp  personnel,,,may have been issued captured small arms...

19 hours ago, cas said:

Akira Kurosawa's "Dersu Uzala" ,  one of my favorites.

Based on the non fiction book "Dersu the trapper". (though it has different names in different locations/printings) 

I've watched In The Blood many times and own it on DVD. 

That's it! Great movie, fascinating book. I found the book on Amazon for about 3 bucks.

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Here's some more fake scenery from "Pennsylvania".  Notice that in most of the scene DeNiro is taking aim left handed with a left handed rifle with the bolt handle on the left side.  At about 3:13 he is aiming right handed with a right handed rifle.  LOL

Scranton, God's Country!