Do you load your deer by yourself?

cynthiafu

I'm glad you started this thread as I needed a reminder that I need to make myself an assist system for my truck similar to Lawd's. At my age I got all I can do to get myself in and out of the woods and dragging a deer to the truck wears me down let alone trying to wrestle it into the back of my truck. Adrenalin doesn't last as long as it used to! I usually just call a friend (Lawd) to help me!

I thought about the tailgate cart but i don't want to expose the deer to any road dust etc. I'm sure it's fine and won't affect the meat but i would rather get the deer into the truck. 

8 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I'm glad you started this thread as I needed a reminder that I need to make myself an assist system for my truck similar to Lawd's. At my age I got all I can do to get myself in and out of the woods and dragging a deer to the truck wears me down let alone trying to wrestle it into the back of my truck. Adrenalin doesn't last as long as it used to! I usually just call a friend (Lawd) to help me!

I thought about the tailgate cart but i don't want to expose the deer to any road dust etc. I'm sure it's fine and won't affect the meat but i would rather get the deer into the truck. 

You could wrap in a tarp before loading on carrier to protect the deer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Anytime ol lawdwaz quotes me-- it won't be positive.. I don't know why, I keep unblocking him from my Ignored list. Usually- it is just him on it.  If, I do get a 150lb Buck-- not happening--  after unloading nearly 300 Walmart Trucks by myself- I will lift that Buck into the Trunk no problem.

Doubtful bill ,it's not the weight of the deer it's that it's limp and falling around ,you can grab the legs and lift and you soon realize the deer is only 12 inches off the ground . You never really get a solid hold on the deer by grabbing the legs ,the fur makes for a slippery handle ,then the head and neck are off to one side making for an uneven left . It's not as easy as it seems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i'm still young and in good shape, but i recall a big buck I shot in a valley a few years back and I was mentally and physically spent by the time I got to the truck. Getting that buck into the back of the truck took the last amount of energy I had. I think the hitch carts are good and they also make hitch winch/hanger systems. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Doubtful bill ,it's not the weight of the deer it's that it's limp and falling around ,you can grab the legs and lift and you soon realize the deer is only 12 inches off the ground . You never really get a solid hold on the deer by grabbing the legs ,the fur makes for a slippery handle ,then the head and neck are off to one side making for an uneven left . It's not as easy as it seems.

They can be slippery and awkward.    Smaller deer I can just throw them in but if they are really slippery, I drag them on the tarp, wrap the tarp up a bit and just use the rolled edge of the tarp as a handle.  Its doable if you can lift the weight - the easier the weight is for someone, the less the balance of weight is an issue.  The tarp also holds the head closer to the body.  Or use a body bag like I did first season.  They have handles.  Or the plank idea I am sure works well.  Haven't tried it though.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Yes. It's not too hard with a minivan. I'm youngish and strongish.

I had a hell of a time getting my first buck into the trunk of my sedan. After the drag I was exhausted and thankfully somebody on the side of the road helped me. In retrospect I should have used my brain and pulled it into the backseat, which is much lower, and I'm sure i could have done that.

Now that I'm using a cage on a hitch it's no problem at all pulling deer up that foot or so.

• Like 1

I used to throw them in the trunk of my Honda Accord. Nearly three my back out on my big 8. I've since gotten a trailer hitch installed and it's been the best move yet! So much easier than trying to stuff a giant body with antlers into a trunk. Going to make sure I get a hitch on the new Lexus as well to make life just as easy. Also the future Mrs. Jerkman will probably appreciate a significant lack of blood in the trunk. She wasn't terribly pleased when I loaded it in my trunk. She literally refused to put anything in it for a good couple of years

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Gonna try this.  Will let you know how it works. 

IMG_20190923_102659948.jpg

Your still lifting it up that or dragging it up that?  I ask because as some of you know I am a short chucky little girl . And this year I will be by myself . So now I have to drag and gut and load . And if I get a big deer I will be struggling I am sure. So I figure I drag out with the cart I have added a roller to the cart so I can pull it up into the truck better .should be good to go.

6 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

Your still lifting it up that or dragging it up that?  I ask because as some of you know I am a short chucky little girl . And this year I will be by myself . So now I have to drag and gut and load . And if I get a big deer I will be struggling I am sure. So I figure I drag out with the cart I have added a roller to the cart so I can pull it up into the truck better .should be good to go.

If you really want to guarantee you can pull a deer into a truck get a cheap hand winch from harbor freight, mount it at the back of the bed, and run the deer up a plywood ramp.

You could probably get away with a thinnish piece of plywood with 2X4 on either side of it screwed in to function as joists so that it does not bend, to keep weight down vs a fat piece. Or attach them at the bottom so that the plywood doesn't slide into the truck as you start to winch the deer up.

Alternatively, instead of mounting the winch on the truck bed, attach it to the front of the plywood, with the plywood deliberately extended a few feet over the lip of the bed. As you winch the deer up, it will get closer to that pivot point and eventually get enough of the mass over the bed of the truck that you could then go to where the ply is touching the ground and quite easily lift it up vertically, then slide the plywood into the bed.

Edited by Core
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

I am still lifting.  Would go with Core's recommendation above. 

Still even with a wheel that's not gonna be easy with the cart.   Or get a come along and hook inside truck and a ramp. 

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Gonna try this.  Will let you know how it works. 

IMG_20190923_102659948.jpg

Mount a couple of wheels up front on the sides of the ladder and once you lift up the ladder with the deer on it, you will be able to roll it right into the truck. Just have to tie it in so it doesn't slide out.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Anytime ol lawdwaz quotes me-- it won't be positive.. I don't know why, I keep unblocking him from my Ignored list. Usually- it is just him on it.  If, I do get a 150lb Buck-- not happening--  after unloading nearly 300 Walmart Trucks by myself- I will lift that Buck into the Trunk no problem.

LOL.......Come on William, you need to lighten up. 

When you do kill that big buck this fall you'll see it's not about the weight of said buck (or big doe for that matter) it's about the post death condition of a deer, not unlike a 150lb bag of water with a handle at one end.......then make sure that bag of water is wet with blood, mud, snow etc.  Then you have to jump into your sedan and drive home.  Hopefully you'll have a bunch of Handi Wipes ready to go due to all the mess on your hands.  :)

For the rest of the guys & gals here, having a cap on your trucks makes loading tougher too, hence ramp/winch combo. (oh and Handi Wipes too)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=handi+wipes+walmart

• Like 1

You make a post about a deer hitting the dirt and nine members of this forum will be on their way to help you
  • Like 5

Never did this, but always envisioned putting a crossbar in the front of the truck bed and attaching either a come-along or boat trailer type of ratchet mechanism. Any thing with a mechanical advantage to get the deer &/or cart partially onto the tailgate. IRC, have seen electric winches that attach to front of bed and pull items into the truck bed. Just need someone with a little mechanical ingenuity to devise a temp mount for a winch. Cheapo ~1K elec winch with ideally a remote control would be great. Maybe even an old section of a roller conveyor would be helpful...?

Different but related....
Dragging deer through the woods blows. Tough on the hands, lower back, cardio, constantly hanging up on forest debris...
I’m thinking of trying the old fireman’s carry this year if successful and alone. Obviously I’ll be adding a bunch of orange on the carcass but my largest worry is the amount of ticks that I’ll be dumping on my head and down my shirt.
What’s you solo drag technique- all you spoiled snowflakes out there with your machines need not reply(that’s jealousy talking boys!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Different but related....
Dragging deer through the woods blows. Tough on the hands, lower back, cardio, constantly hanging up on forest debris...
I’m thinking of trying the old fireman’s carry this year if successful and alone. Obviously I’ll be adding a bunch of orange on the carcass but my largest worry is the amount of ticks that I’ll be dumping on my head and down my shirt.
What’s you solo drag technique- all you spoiled snowflakes out there with your machines need not reply(that’s jealousy talking boys!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a “ venison burrito “ out of the old dome material. 6x4’ with 3 grommets on each side which I cinch tight with deer in it. 2 holes at head end which I run tow rope thru and then tie rope around head as normal. Dragged a few deer out with it and it cut friction down 50-60% easy. No more hang ups on sticks , pulls right over blow down logs , multiple barb wire fences , thru  swamp and trout stream. Slid extra well on little snow. So much in fact I had troubles on descending hills controlling the slide. I should have made a whole bunch of these.  Dragging one out a mile and half used to suck without it. Since lost that dirt to hunt and now will rely on kabota , side by side , 3 wheeler uber. 

22D3744B-B445-4457-A21F-CCB02194931C.jpeg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I made a “ venison burrito “ out of the old dome material. 6x4’ with 3 grommets on each side which I cinch tight with deer in it. 2 holes at head end which I run tow rope thru and then tie rope around head as normal. Dragged a few deer out with it and it cut friction down 50-60% easy. No more hang ups on sticks , pulls right over blow down logs , multiple barb wire fences , thru  swamp and trout stream. Slid extra well on little snow. So much in fact I had troubles on descending hills controlling the slide. I should have made a whole bunch of these.  Dragging one out a mile and half used to suck without it. Since lost that dirt to hunt and now will rely on kabota , side by side , 3 wheeler uber. 

22D3744B-B445-4457-A21F-CCB02194931C.jpeg

TF, I bought one of those Dead Sleds and the only time I used it the grommets ripped out of the plastic material and it came apart. It sucked as it didn't work like I expected. I've since replaced the grommets but I haven't used it since. Half the time it's in my truck and I don't feel like walking back to the truck just to get it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2012_taco said:

TF, I bought one of those Dead Sleds and the only time I used it the grommets ripped out of the plastic material and it came apart. It sucked as it didn't work like I expected. I've since replaced the grommets but I haven't used it since. Half the time it's in my truck and I don't feel like walking back to the truck just to get it.

Key is don’t tie rope directly to grommets to pull. Run rope thru then around head and drag as normal.