Do you load your deer by yourself?

cynthiafu

45 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Different but related....
Dragging deer through the woods blows. Tough on the hands, lower back, cardio, constantly hanging up on forest debris...
I’m thinking of trying the old fireman’s carry this year if successful and alone. Obviously I’ll be adding a bunch of orange on the carcass but my largest worry is the amount of ticks that I’ll be dumping on my head and down my shirt.
What’s you solo drag technique- all you spoiled snowflakes out there with your machines need not reply(that’s jealousy talking boys!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said I use a deer cart . I put bigger wheels on it so it goes over  walls and down trees better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Key is don’t tie rope directly to grommets to pull. Run rope thru then around head and drag as normal. 

The grommets just tie the sled around the deer, it has a separate rope at front to drag. The straps at the grommets got caught on saplings or other woods stuff and ripped out. Your "burrito" looks like it wraps more around the deer therefore less chance of getting caught on the crap you need to drag it through? i assume?

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Different but related....
Dragging deer through the woods blows. Tough on the hands, lower back, cardio, constantly hanging up on forest debris...
I’m thinking of trying the old fireman’s carry this year if successful and alone. Obviously I’ll be adding a bunch of orange on the carcass but my largest worry is the amount of ticks that I’ll be dumping on my head and down my shirt.
What’s you solo drag technique- all you spoiled snowflakes out there with your machines need not reply(that’s jealousy talking boys!).

I have the sherpa game cart that makes my summit viper into a cart. I like it.

I did buy a jet sled, though, the white snow one (don't buy the tiny one) and it works very well. Well built and won't get caught up on crap.

I've given up taking my recovery tools into the woods, so I'll just go back to the car for them. As such the bulk doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

For me the answer to the OP's question is yes. For dragging I have always used a cheap commercial shoulder harness setup with a rope with me being the mule. Never had anything special to get them into truck, never killed a 300 pounder so I could manage to somehow wrestle, pull, yank and lift them into or onto the vehicle and by no means was it easy.

Al

Edited by airedale

On 9/22/2019 at 9:10 PM, G-Man said:

I use a tractor with 3pt lift on back,drag deer  on lift and raise up. And drive out

I would like to make a 3 point hitch life carrier.  I have place deer on grass mowers, back blades, 3 point moldboard plow,  chisel plow, hell even on a 3 point disc once;  whatever it takes, LOL.

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I would like to make a 3 point hitch life carrier.  I have place deer on grass mowers, back blades, 3 point moldboard plow,  chisel plow, hell even on a 3 point disc once;  whatever it takes, LOL.

Can buy premade or make your own angle iron frame and 4x4 sheet of plywood bolted on,if you make it heavy duty can bring out a cord of wood stacked on it, make a box and take all your tools with you and leave bucket open for work.. also works to carry multiple stands and sticks in to hang in one trip.  Screenshot_20190924-114540_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ddb5bc1b9744b93ab579268f0921c06d.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, G-Man said:

Can buy premade or make your own angle iron frame and 4x4 sheet of plywood bolted on,if you make it heavy duty can bring out a cord of wood stacked on it, make a box and take all your tools with you and leave bucket open for work.. also works to carry multiple stands and sticks in to hang in one trip.  Screenshot_20190924-114540_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ddb5bc1b9744b93ab579268f0921c06d.jpg

I Have some old fork lift tines with plenty of steel around to make one. It will, most likely weigh 3- 400 pounds. Lift cabbage tote boxes out of the field with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I Have some old fork lift tines with plenty of steel around to make one. It will, most likely weigh 3- 400 pounds. Lift cabbage tote boxes out of the field with it.

It's my most used implement.  Going in the woods to work it goes with me and Carrie's all I need

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:24 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

I made a “ venison burrito “ out of the old dome material. 6x4’ with 3 grommets on each side which I cinch tight with deer in it. 2 holes at head end which I run tow rope thru and then tie rope around head as normal. Dragged a few deer out with it and it cut friction down 50-60% easy. No more hang ups on sticks , pulls right over blow down logs , multiple barb wire fences , thru  swamp and trout stream. Slid extra well on little snow. So much in fact I had troubles on descending hills controlling the slide. I should have made a whole bunch of these.  Dragging one out a mile and half used to suck without it. Since lost that dirt to hunt and now will rely on kabota , side by side , 3 wheeler uber. 

22D3744B-B445-4457-A21F-CCB02194931C.jpeg

TF, I had some scrap house wrap laying around and some grommets and made my own little venison burrito deer wrap. Hope I have a chance to use it. Great idea.

• Like 1

TF, I had some scrap house wrap laying around and some grommets and made my own little venison burrito deer wrap. Hope I have a chance to use it. Great idea.

13402282e2d8e3b3ebab00efc4fca3f0.jpg

I gave TF some props in the harvest thread for this idea - mine is a heavy duty advertisement sign from Ashley Furniture that they were using ad a drop cloth. The tip to still keep the drag rope on the deer is critical.

• Like 1

Anyone locally want something like turkey feathers burrito let me know I have a ton of vinyl grommetted banners at work that I need to toss out. They would work great for this you can have them.

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

Anyone locally want something like turkey feathers burrito let me know I have a ton of vinyl grommetted banners at work that I need to toss out. They would work great for this you can have them.
I'd love a banner! But I'm in 3s

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Red’s Deer Burritos
You need a drag, put it in our bag!
$19.95 plus S & H

But wait there’s more...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Red’s Deer Burritos
You need a drag, put it in our bag!
$19.95 plus S & H

But wait there’s more...

…..for a small additional surcharge, we'll kick in a free burrito deer drone pick-up anywhere in new York state....just drag to the nearest open field, and we'll drop off at your deer processing location....what a deal!