Options for 1st youth rifle

Zag

Hey guys, I know I asked this in the past and I have no idea how to try and find it.

Next yr my son will be 12 and I want to get him a deer rifle and I'm looking for your opinions.

1) Do I get him a youth model? He's 11 and a few months now and is 5'5 and 100lbs. I'd imagine he'll be close to 6ft in a yr from now. Not sure if that makes a difference in youth or reg rifle.

2) obviously .243 stands out as a great option. I also read 6.5 creed and 7mm-08 are other options. 

Thanks guys appreciate the opinions. 

Get him a grown up gun..He'll soon out grow the youth modell

As for chamberings, the .243 is very capable in the hands of a good rifleman,  BUT both the 6.5 Creed and the 7MM-08 offer better terminal ballistics, if only in the greater likelihood of a pass through,  leaving a better blood trail if tracking is required...Neither chambering kicks enough more than a .243  for recoil to be a factor, and should a few years from now he decides to do some long range (300 yards +)  shooting both have advantage over the .243 at longer ranges... There is  a wide selection of  factory loads for all 3 chamberings, so if you do not reload, you should be able to find a load that shoots well in your  son's rifle.

• Like 3

Another vote for the 7mm\08. Very mild recoil, and devastating on deer.

Adult size rifle is what I'd go with for your son.

Savage Axis and Ruger American, are just two of the low budget rifles that shoot as good today, as some of the custom rifles from back in the day.

Of course if you have a bigger budget, there are a bunch of options out there to choose from. As far as make and model. And the 7mm\08 will surely not disappoint, for what you are looking for.

These are among the best of times for you and your son. Enjoy every second of it!!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

Another vote for the 7mm\08. Very mild recoil, and devastating on deer.

Adult size rifle is what I'd go with for your son.

Savage Axis and Ruger American, are just two of the low budget rifles that shoot as good today, as some of the custom rifles from back in the day.

Of course if you have a bigger budget, there are a bunch of options out there to choose from. As far as make and model. And the 7mm\08 will surely not disappoint, for what you are looking for.

These are among the best of times for you and your son. Enjoy every second of it!!!

Ok thanks grampy and pygmy, thanks for chiming in on size, I really wanted to get him one he can use as long as he wants. Best brand options? I'd like it to be camo or have really cool grain wood.

Another vote for 7mm08. Adult sized   Reduced recoil loads if need be. Shot mine yesterday for first time and have zero doubts my 90 pound ballet framed daughter will even grimace on paper. She’s shot her youth 20 gauge 870 a bunch with field loads which kick more IMO. Highly recommend Savage axis for $300. Upgrade the package scope and order trigger spring for $11. Marginal shot with 7mm 08 versus .243 is better outcome and can stretch out yardage a bit more too. 

35AC6502-1C45-4B19-BD52-04F7A7FE5D61.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a huge fan of single shots for first guns. The old H&R’s are very good and can be had for a couple hundreds the cva’s are very good as well.

There are many reasons why I like single shots for a first real rifle but the biggest is knowing if it’s empty or loaded, if it’s empty it should be open if it’s loaded it should be closed, this takes out any guess work when everyone is excited in the heat of the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7mm 08 ,give the possibility of a marginal shot recovery much more likely than .243 or .223. No heavy recoil, and large enough to take a bear if need be. Can take elk, and other large game you would not try with a .243 ( at least if your ethical) a much more versatile weapon.  As for the 6.5 creedmore.. I've seen it many time fad rifle calibers that tend to fade over time though it's been around for many years it's the new in. Thing...  it may last but as with all things in demand ammo is harder to find especially close to season. 

Good article 7mm08 vs 6.5 creedmore https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/12/21/head-to-head-65-creedmoor-vs-7mm-08-remington/

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

I went 7mm 08 a few years ago for my wifes muddy girl savage axis. It does the job with not much recoil. I then had a custom gun made for myself in 7mm 08 figuring this was a great  round and I didnt want to get two different ammos. Love the gun.  BUT.... I started shopping around for ammo and its just not on the shelves much in the box stores I frequent. My hunting buddy reloads for me but this is a bit of a pain as I don't see him That much. I end up buying off the shelf anyway. I see an impressive number of different 6.5 creedmore ammo choices at big box stores. It always takes me a long time to find the tiny assed section of 7mm 08. Usually one or two choices with a few boxes on the shelf. This does not make me feel real warm and fuzzy. Just know that less ammo choices for 7mm 08 than 6.5 creedmore right now.  I've read comments for years now saying 6.5 is a fad and will fade away. I am beginning to think, based only on the ammo availability, this appears to be happening with 7mm 08. 

As for youth model or not ask yourself a few things. Up until rifle hunting hit mainstream in NY, I had exactly one gun that did everything I needed. Was a present from Dad when I was just getting legal hunting.  A browning BPS pump 12. Kept and used for nearly 40 years until replaced last year. (Still going strong though)  You want something like this for your son? Get him a full sized adult good quality rifle. You/he like to buy sell trade often? Get him the youth on the cheap and ready to replace next year.