Biz style from the ground!

Chef

So after determining where my big buck is coming from I don’t like my stand placement on my plot. I figured setting up a blind would be easier than moving or hanging another stand. What do you guys think of this blind set up. It’s on the south west side of the plot and any time afternoon the deer will have sun in their eyes any time they look my direction. Also downwind from any of the trails into the plot with a steep ridge behind it. What do you guys think

c59d77bf219dd0cbbeb80d5ad3d44f23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hard to tell from the photo.  If the blind will be down wind of the buck when you shoot, it should work well.  Ground blinds seem to work best when the deer do not get too close to them.  How far away from the blind will the buck be when it offers you a good shot?

8 hours ago, Chef said:

So after determining where my big buck is coming from I don’t like my stand placement on my plot. I figured setting up a blind would be easier than moving or hanging another stand. What do you guys think of this blind set up. It’s on the south west side of the plot and any time afternoon the deer will have sun in their eyes any time they look my direction. Also downwind from any of the trails into the plot with a steep ridge behind it. What do you guys think

c59d77bf219dd0cbbeb80d5ad3d44f23.jpg

Looksto me like someone used some chicken wire to protect his weed from the deer... Should work like a charm....

Hard to tell from the photo.  If the blind will be down wind of the buck when you shoot, it should work well.  Ground blinds seem to work best when the deer do not get too close to them.  How far away from the blind will the buck be when it offers you a good shot?

Between 20 and 30 yards

As a dedicated ground blind hunter myself, I think you got a great spot there Chef! You set up in a pinch point, with the prevailing wind in your face, on a known deer travel spot. You are brushed in real well to break up your outline, and allow some slow movement, to draw your bow. Seems to me you checked all the boxes! 

Nothing beats the thrill and challenge, of hunting deer with a bow, on their level, eye to eye, and up close.

And don't worry about them getting too close. I've had to let them move off a bit before I could shoot them!

Good luck!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

I like to put fencing behind the blind so deer can not get that close. They will bust you from time to time if they come from behind you..........

Be it from a tree or on the ground, hunting with the wind in your face. A deer coming from behind you is likely to bust you.

It happens..... because those darn deer don't always follow the script!!!

Be it from a tree or on the ground, hunting with the wind in your face. A deer coming from behind you is likely to bust you.

Agreed. I feel I put my self in a pretty good spot to prevent that. With a steep slope at my back most deer even if coming from that direction circle the plot too far uphill to catch my scent. Let’s hope for the best!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

Agreed. I feel I put my self in a pretty good spot to prevent that. With a steep slope at my back most deer even if coming from that direction circle the plot too far uphill to catch my scent. Let’s hope for the best!!

Sounds like a solid set up for sure. Obviously, you thought this through, to help put the odds in your favor. You should do well from that blind my friend.

I'm certain you will have Biz's seal of approval !!

Edited by grampy

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

10?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, sodfather said:

It’s only Biz style if you get out and start walking around at 10:00.

I've hunted more dark-dark days than both of you COMBINED and I'm 25 years younger!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, grampy said:

As a dedicated ground blind hunter myself, I think you got a great spot there Chef! You set up in a pinch point, with the prevailing wind in your face, on a known deer travel spot. You are brushed in real well to break up your outline, and allow some slow movement, to draw your bow. Seems to me you checked all the boxes! 

Nothing beats the thrill and challenge, of hunting deer with a bow, on their level, eye to eye, and up close.

And don't worry about them getting too close. I've had to let them move off a bit before I could shoot them!

Good luck!

Agree, same. I've had deer under 10 yards on many occasions. I try to wear black to match the shadows of the blind. They look but don't seem to understand what is inside. I think it helps that I leave mine out year-round.

One tip for @Chef since I can't see what type of windows you have. If velcro, leave them undone now so you don't have to make any sounds during hunting season. I took all velcro down on mine a few weeks ago and just use the loops which are silent. Also, if you have any windows you know you wont shoot out of leave them closed especially if they are see through anyway. I try to only open crack in the windows and not full blown open.

• Like 1

One tip for [mention=762]Chef[/mention] since I can't see what type of windows you have. If velcro, leave them undone now so you don't have to make any sounds during hunting season. I took all velcro down on mine a few weeks ago and just use the loops which are silent. Also, if you have any windows you know you wont shoot out of leave them closed especially if they are see through anyway. I try to only open crack in the windows and not full blown open.

The windows are loops! Great advice yes all windows except for shooting windows will stay closed. I like the idea of only leaving a few shooting cracks open

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I've hunted more dark-dark days than both of you COMBINED and I'm 25 years younger!

I think the last time I hunted dark to dark was opening day 2011 - first time ever hunting.  Ok maybe a few more times, but not many.   I just try to time it when the bucks will be there.  Only so much blue jay watching I can enjoy!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think the last time I hunted dark to dark was opening day 2011 - first time ever hunting.  Ok maybe a few more times, but not many.   I just try to time it when the bucks will be there.  Only so much blue jay watching I can enjoy!

If I saw as many deer as you, I wouldn't hunt dark-dark either

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Chef said:

The windows are loops! Great advice yes all windows except for shooting windows will stay closed. I like the idea of only leaving a few shooting cracks open

Yup. Here's just a few examples. You'll see i got enough room to get an arrow out, but even with some of these deer looking at me NONE of them spooked and ran. I drew on each of them several times for practice.

IMG_6984.JPGIMG_7121.JPGIMG_7152.JPGIMG_3958.JPGIMG_4313.JPG

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, grampy said:

Totally disagree.....  Some does do not even care if they smell you but when your ground level with them and they know something is wrong and they just walk back and forth stomping there feet no big is gonna come in either.......

• fasteddie changed the title to Biz style from the ground!