Anyone use a Trigger stick for Xbow?

stubborn1VT

I plan to hunt from the ground more this year and was wondering if folks use some kind of monopod/bipod.  I use a a homemade bipod when rifle hunting out of blind, but it won't work with my xbow because it would interfere with the limbs.  

I'm a fair shot offhand out to 30-35 yards, but I am looking for the highest percentage of clean kills.  

What do you prefer?  What about out of a treestand?

Yes I use a monopoly,  I even use one in a stand , they are front heavy and in smaller hanging stands I feel like I'm being pulled forward out of the stand. I feel restricted with a crossbow compared to my compound in terms of moving turning..  at least with mono pod I gain stability.   I have a primos model that adjust when squeezing the handle below the swivel v..

• Like 1

I have a single leg trigger stick and I like using it as a walking stick especially when taking a hike and just carrying a handgun where it may also come in handy for a rest. I have never used it for a long gun but I believe at least for me it probably would aid in placing a more accurate shot at longer distances. No reason it would not work the same with a crossbow. 

When hunting  with a long gun I like traveling light, the trigger stick is just a little cumbersome to add and carry, it stays home. An exception would be open country long range varmint-chuck hunting.

Al

• Like 2

1 minute ago, airedale said:

I have a single leg trigger stick and I like using it as a walking stick especially when taking a hike and just carrying a handgun where it may also come in handy for a rest. I have never used it for a long gun but I believe at least for me it probably would aid in placing a more accurate shot at longer distances. No reason it would not work the same with a crossbow. 

When hunting  with a long gun I like traveling light, the trigger stick is just a little cumbersome to add and carry, it stays home. An exception would be open country long range varmint-chuck hunting.

Al

I agree about carrying a rest around.  I leave one in my blind when rifle hunting.  I've never used a monopod, only a bipod.  I know that I appreciate the bipod when I have the opportunity for 200+ yard shots.

I have the Primo's mono, bi and tripod triggersticks,  And love them all! One of them will work for almost any hunting or shooting situation. The tri-pod is great for the crossbow, in ground blind hunting. Just set the forend on the rest and the butt in your lap, and it's no hands comfortable, and you are still ready for a shot, with little movement. I have never had any problems with the triggersticks at all. And feel they are worth the extra cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yes I use a monopoly,  I even use one in a stand , they are front heavy and in smaller hanging stands I feel like I'm being pulled forward out of the stand. I feel restricted with a crossbow compared to my compound in terms of moving turning..  at least with mono pod I gain stability.   I have a primos model that adjust when squeezing the handle below the swivel v..

How does "monopoly" help in a stand ? :rolleyes:

i use a trigger stick - both monopod and tripod. the monopod has a flat rubber/plastic foot pad accessory you can buy. it screws into the footpad accessory into a rubber housing which allows you to adjust the monopod (bending its position) at any angle. - good for sitting/standing and a treestand. my new mono/bi/tripod is a levellok.com system. trying it this year because it is more than twice as light as the trigger stick to carry and it is a combo for ,omo/bi/try-pod.

the monopod treestand accessory formy  trigger stick (gen2) https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Hunting-Monopod-Treestand-Attachment/dp/B003RVOC8K

levellok.com version  http://levellok.com/product/tripod-multipod-combo/

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1

I hunt from a stand, so I lean against the tree or the rail guard. This provides a very solid platform for xbow.

If I were on ground or still hunting I think i'd get a stick with xbow. I had a bunch of deer at the very end of ML season last year at 100 yards and a clear shot with a nicely sighted ML but I just couldn't quite bring myself to pull the trigger. Off hand shooting is hard without practice (and few do). I almost bought a stick that night. And xbow is even worse because of the poor balance of most of them.

I think I would like the Trigger Stick bipod, but I'm too cheap.  I made myself a set of sticks out of 3/4" dowel, a machine screw & wing nut, some 550 cord and camo duct tape.  Now I'm just waiting on Saturday when the VT season opens.  36 degrees here this morning!  I have a bachelor group on camera moving back through some apple trees in the mornings.  It's time to go see them in person.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Belo said:

i have one for my compound too... oh wait, it's a bow and not a gun :drinks:

I popped a bicep tendon in my left arm (I'm left handed) back in July this summer, I am still at PT 2-3 times a week, can't draw my bow. Thankfully, NY has the option the last two weeks so I can get out. I honestly hope you never get hurt like this, but if you do, you will be VERY happy X Bows are legal in your state.. 

• Like 1

When I was hunting out of a blind I used a 25-36" adj monopod. My ladder stands have gun rails &/or arm rest that make any aide unnecessary. BTW - These shorter versions are handy for off-hand shooting while walking/stalking. Simply place bottom in your belt/hip area and it gives a little more support than free-hand. Not as cumbersome walking around with a shorter one compared to those full length shooting stick types.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 3:55 PM, Grizz1219 said:

I popped a bicep tendon in my left arm (I'm left handed) back in July this summer, I am still at PT 2-3 times a week, can't draw my bow. Thankfully, NY has the option the last two weeks so I can get out. I honestly hope you never get hurt like this, but if you do, you will be VERY happy X Bows are legal in your state.. 

i honestly hope they pass a law to let anyone with an injury/disability and over a certain age hunt all season long with a crossbow.

• Like 1