Dropped off at Whelping Kennel

tarheel95

We dropped our dog off at the whelping kennel today.  She is scheduled for a Sept 26 due date.  She has at least 6 pups in her that hopefully make the grade to become guide / service dogs.  She was doing great with this litter, but was pretty tired over the last week.  Could barely get her to walk a half mile (she was doing three a day until mid last week).  I'll post updates and photos on her / her pups progress.

20190923_072640.jpg

• Like 9

Whelping Kennel? Is this run by a veterinarian? Is she taken there because pups will be service dogs? 
Yeah. She is a guiding eyes brood dog and they take the broods back for breeding and whelping. It's like a maternity ward for dogs. She stays there to give birth and stays with the pups until weaning is done. Then they start training and she comes home.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Received a call from the whelping kennel this am. She had 10 puppies, two were still born, so eight surviving. Seven girls and one boy. Two yellows and the remainder black labs. I'll post photos up as soon as I get them. Mom is healthy and a great mother to her new pups.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, tarheel95 said:

Received a call from the whelping kennel this am. She had 10 puppies, two were still born, so eight surviving. Seven girls and one boy. Two yellows and the remainder black labs. I'll post photos up as soon as I get them. Mom is healthy and a great mother to her new pups.

Congrats, DAD   !!   Never heard of a whelping kennel...I guess things are done differently downstate...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, First-light said:

She is beautiful! Job well done girl! Are all the pups spoken for?

They are all evaluated for guide / service dogs over the next year.  Those that make the grade go into training and then their careers as working dogs.  Those that don't make the grade go into the Guiding Eyes pet adoption pool.  I think there is something like a three year wait to adopt one of those.  They are spectacular dogs, even those that wash out.

• Like 1

If I was a volunteer puppy raiser idk if I'd ever be able to give them back lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Same here. That's why we foster their breed dogs. We take care of them while they are being bred and once they retire from the program we can adopt them.

The people that do the puppy raising are the real hard workers in the program. We just need to keep up with the training and make sure the broods get enough exercise.

Latest update with photos. Sadly, one of the pups was failing to thrive and passed last weekend. Very sad, but it happens with larger litters. The remaining 7 are all doing great. They look to be nice sized, eyes don't look open yet. Mom looks like she is ready to make a break for it and come back home.

fa5aa88a8a5f47944f21e2b272645bec.jpg323610b107f65c0d7b1e2a6c7eb1f9b0.jpge6c86ddb98eb79f081f21bf91bec220d.jpg2cff349ef0cede3768ebb7ae5f1f6064.jpg

• Like 3

If I was a volunteer puppy raiser idk if I'd ever be able to give them back lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My mom does it for same program. She does the 1-week program so she doesn’t get too attached. She gets 2 at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2