Deer hunting irony

rob-c

My wife and myself did not get doe permits this year, our area was low 1st  and no 2nd . Now usually what happens and this has been the case for the last several years. We  would rotate year to year I would get one she wouldn’t then she would get one I wouldn’t. 

So I go and pull my cards on my 3 cameras that have been out for 4 weeks and I have photos of nothing but does. Go figure , but with that many does I am hoping when the rut kicks in we’ll be visited by some  buck. 

We do have our archery either sex tag , but it is nice to have a doe tag if a nice size doe presented a shot in early season and one didn’t have to use that either sex tag. 

Oh well it is what it is, just thought it was funny ..

• Like 1

My wife and myself did not get doe permits this year, our area was low 1st  and no 2nd . Now usually what happens and this has been the case for the last several years. We  would rotate year to year I would get one she wouldn’t then she would get one I wouldn’t. 
So I go and pull my cards on my 3 cameras that have been out for 4 weeks and I have photos of nothing but does. Go figure , but with that many does I am hoping when the rut kicks in we’ll be visited by some  buck. 
We do have our archery either sex tag , but it is nice to have a doe tag if a nice size doe presented a shot in early season and one didn’t have to use that either sex tag. 

What about the 2nd bow tag doe only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nytracker said:

If you have doe you will have bucks .  8 w  has been going down hill for years . Funny thing is I see pockets with a ton of deer  over here.  I dont know how they dream up the numbers sometimes.

Oh I know, just thought it was funny that this new lease we have does coming out  our ears and no tags . 

10 hours ago, rob-c said:

Buy your muzzleloader tag antlerless valid anywhere ,take one early.bow...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

take one early.bow...

I hear that often, but in my opinion that is easier said than done.  Maybe in areas where deer populations are high it can be done more easily, but there are other areas like the Catskills where doe permits are scarce and the deer populations not high enough where one will see deer daily to be confident that they will kill that doe with a bow.  There's nothing like having a DMP in your pocket to use during gun season where the chances will be best to fill the tag.  Trying to get a doe during muzzleloader season is far from a sure thing, too.  You've got one week to do it and may have to compete with the worst weather of all the seasons.

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Good old 8T....Used to own property there myself....I have a number of friends who own property there and they are overrun with  doe, but you need to be a landowner or have pref points to get a DMP...

We feel like we hit the 8T lotto. We procrastinated on getting my wife's license and got around to it this past Saturday. To our surprise she got selected after a few years of being denied. We get a landowner's tag each year, but having a second gives us and her choices, including signing one over to our out of state daughter who makes the trip every year. She's never taken a doe.

Not looking to pile up does, just want choices. We won't let a tag go to waste however. If it gets late in the season and we still have it, we'll sign it over to someone.

• Like 3

I hear that often, but in my opinion that is easier said than done.  Maybe in areas where deer populations are high it can be done more easily, but there are other areas like the Catskills where doe permits are scarce and the deer populations not high enough where one will see deer daily to be confident that they will kill that doe with a bow.  There's nothing like having a DMP in your pocket to use during gun season where the chances will be best to fill the tag.  Trying to get a doe during muzzleloader season is far from a sure thing, too.  You've got one week to do it and may have to compete with the worst weather of all the seasons.

This post interests me, I hunt the Catskills and see deer almost every sit. I have taken a doe every year during bow season without much effort. I have a creek that runs through my land I set up at well used creek crossings when I want a doe

6 hours ago, Chef said:

This post interests me, I hunt the Catskills and see deer almost every sit. I have taken a doe every year during bow season without much effort. I have a creek that runs through my land I set up at well used creek crossings when I want a doe

If it's that easy where you hunt, then you should consider yourself VERY lucky because I can assure you it's not like that for the majority of hunters in the Catskills.