Vacation days for 2019 deer season

oapiastos88

Goodmorning Gentleman,

I am a resident of Brooklyn New York ( about a 3 hour drive to my hunting location) and work as a local 3 electrician that’s only allowed 2 weeks worth of vacation a year. Now the question is what weeks/days out of the hunting season are a MUST to be in the woods this year so I can put in for my vacation days. I guess the peak of the rut? or is this something we don’t know yet. I hunt the 4w region of New York . Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself a nice crossbow and get in at start of crossbow season. Don't bother with gun. That's my recommendation.

My favorite time to hunt is October, but between halloween and gun season, with a hard hitting, accurate crossbow you can't go wrong.

9 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Opening day of southern zone gun season is the biggest kill day of the year in New York State .... kinda tells you what days are when to be " out there" !

Because most people only gun hunt, and they are all scrambling to get in before day 2 comes around and the deer have been scared into their thickets!

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

Based on almost 50 deer seasons, my opinion is, November 10th, what I call the 'magical' day. Same day every year. It's that day that you will see a mature buck just standing out in the open with or without a doe. Or he'll come cruising to you with his nose to the ground grunting. Or crossing the road in front of you, seemingly oblivious. All the classic rut activity usually culminates on or about this date. Of course the few days before and after, November 10th, are very good too.  But the "average" of the magic day is always Nov.10th.This is by far the best week of the season. 

Moon phase, and weather, actually makes no difference at this time of the breeding period. If too warm, the activity will just be more at night when it's cooler, or if too much human pressure, it will move to a quieter area. But the best rut activity will always occur during this time. Ramping up slowly to reach the pinnacle on the 10th, and slowly declining after.

And of course some seeking and breeding will occur here and there, from mid October, into January. But November 10th is that 'magical' day.

Plan accordingly.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

Based on almost 50 deer seasons, my opinion is, November 10th, what I call the 'magical' day. Same day every year. It's that day that you will see a mature buck just standing out in the open with or without a doe. Or he'll come cruising to you with his nose to the ground grunting. Or crossing the road in front of you, seemingly oblivious. All the classic rut activity usually culminates on or about this date. Of course the few days before and after, November 10th, are very good too.  But the "average" of the magic day is always Nov.10th.This is by far the best week of the season. 

Moon phase, and weather, actually makes no difference at this time of the breeding period. If too warm, the activity will just be more at night when it's cooler, or if too much human pressure, it will move to a quieter area. But the best rut activity will always occur during this time. Ramping up slowly to reach the pinnacle on the 10th, and slowly declining after.

And of course some seeking and breeding will occur here and there, from mid October, into January. But November 10th is that 'magical' day.

Plan accordingly.

I'd concur with Grampy AND Core.  If you don't bowhunt, get yourself a crossbow, and hunt that week prior to gun.  If you bowhunt and fall on that side of the purist line, that's still the magical week to be in the woods.  Opening day of gun season is a given.  If you have any spare time left over I'd get out at the beginning of December, between second rut and all the pressure just being gone you'll see some big deer in broad daylight.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, grampy said:

Plan accordingly.

Known facts from a experienced hunter!  All the "older" hunters always talked about being in the woods around this time because this is PRIME TIME!  Over the years I would have to say they and Grampy are right!  Simply put if you can be in the woods from October 30 - November 21st do it, no better time to hunt! 

3 hours ago, oapiastos88 said:

Now the question is what weeks/days out of the hunting season are a MUST to be in the woods this year so I can put in for my vacation days. I guess the peak of the rut?

A recent article I read from the so called experts on the 2019 rut prediction says the "must be out there days" are:

Monday October 28th

Sunday November 3rd

Friday November 8th

Monday November 11th

Saturday November 16th (noted as being the "best" day to be out there)

Tuesday November 26th

Friday December 13th.

I won't be hunting by those dates but will try to make note of activity/sightings on those dates and  sure wouldn't be planning vacation around them but you asked.

Believe it or not:umnik:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

A recent article I read from the so called experts on the 2019 rut prediction says the "must be out there days" are:

Monday October 28th

Sunday November 3rd

Friday November 8th

Monday November 11th

Saturday November 16th (noted as being the "best" day to be out there)

Tuesday November 26th

Friday December 13th.

I won't be hunting by those dates but will try to make note of activity/sightings on those dates and  sure wouldn't be planning vacation around them but you asked.

Believe it or not:umnik:

I like how they are so specific they can say that the 3rd is good but the 4th not as good ;) Nonetheless, those dates do indeed fall in the range people are recommending here!

• Like 1

I hunt a different region/ northern tier, but make sure I have the last week of the season off hopefully to have snow, fewer hunters out. I love to take some early time, usually during the NT muzzleloading season only because it is so darn beautiful that time of year, but I dont get serious until we get sloppy weather.