Just say no to progressive lenses if you shoot

Engraver99

Just got my progressive lenses (never had them before). Thought I'd kill all my vision problems with 1 pair i.e. distance and reading. Big mistake! they work, they need some getting used to but they are no good for shooting my bow. They are no good because you look thru different parts of the lens depending on if you want to see close things, far things or somewhere in between. When testing with my bow, I had to twist my head further to the left (am right handed) than my usual natural shooting form to get a clear vision of the target thru my peep. If I tried to shoot it like I naturally do, I was looking thru a part of the lens that distorted the target. Major suck!. I have not tested it with any of my gun scopes yet but imagine it will be the same. So much for that idea. Will wear them for general use, But just ordered a set of single vision (distance) glasses so I can once again shoot normally with glasses as there is no distortion areas throughout the entire lens. I typically don't wear glasses or contacts. I Am legal to drive in NY without them but were required to wear them when I lived in Jersey for a spell 20 years ago. Vision isn't that bad but thought I'd shoot better with a clearer target image.

• Like 1

Multifocal contact lenses. I made the switch a few years ago and was amazed at the difference it made in my shooting.  I will never wear glasses in the woods or shooting again.

I would suggest you go back to your dr and ask to try a set. He/she should give you a couple to try at no cost. I use Air Optics Aqua Multifocal.

10 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Multifocal contact lenses. I made the switch a few years ago and was amazed at the difference it made in my shooting.  I will never wear glasses in the woods or shooting again.

I would suggest you go back to your dr and ask to try a set. He/she should give you a couple to try at no cost. I use Air Optics Aqua Multifocal.

I'll have to check them out...thanks

• Like 1

I have no idea how they work, but I am able to shift my focus from the pin to the target without issue. They are not perfect though, they are not as good as readers and not as good as distance lenses, but they are a great compromise. Check them out, you'll be happy I'm sure.

After we knew they worked for me, the Dr actually suggested that I order them online for half of what she would sell them to me for. I get a year supply for like $140 from Lens.com Good luck!

18 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I have no idea how they work, but I am able to shift my focus from the pin to the target without issue. They are not perfect though, they are not as good as readers and not as good as distance lenses, but they are a great compromise. Check them out, you'll be happy I'm sure.

After we knew they worked for me, the Dr actually suggested that I order them online for half of what she would sell them to me for. I get a year supply for like $140 from Lens.com Good luck!

thanks Don i'll check it out

When you shoot looking through a scope do you keep both eyes open? My Dr. Said when I need to start wearing them in a few years I will be fine shooting....just need to keep both eyes open.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Like the OP eluded to, shooting a bow requires 3X focusing at different distances. Up close for the string peep, med for the sight pin & hsg and far for target aiming. When you need tri-focal correction ... it can be challenging or a complete FUBAR for the archer. Didn't make a difference for me if the glasses were progressive, lined or no line lens. Same applies with open/iron sights on a long gun! A one word solution - scopes...

11 hours ago, Don_C said:

..... The contacts I wear are multi focal. I can focus for reading or distance with each eye. 

.. w/o moving your eye to focus on different distances??? Never had contacts, so IDK.

11 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Like the OP eluded to, shooting a bow requires 3X focusing at different distances. Up close for the string peep, med for the sight pin & hsg and far for target aiming. When you need tri-focal correction ... it can be challenging or a complete FUBAR for the archer. Didn't make a difference for me if the glasses were progressive, lined or no line lens. Same applies with open/iron sights on a long gun! A one word solution - scopes...

.. w/o moving your eye to focus on different distances??? Never had contacts, so IDK.

OK, well you DO have to move your eye to look at different things of course, but looking through a peep at a pin and a target. No, it's like having normal vision/focus abilities - if that makes sense??.  Now, the peep is not in perfectly clear focus, being so close to my eye, but it is clear enough that I can accurately center the sight housing in it without issue. I don't know how it works, but as I am typing this I am focused on my screen, I look up to my dry erase board 8 ft away and it is in focus, look out the window and trees 30 yards away and cars 50 yards away are clear as can be.  They are perfect for me...YMMV.

I could not shoot a bow with bifocal glasses accurately. They forced me to alter my head position too much and I had to choose what was in or out of focus, REALLY out of focus. No bueno. When I discovered that these magical contact lenses existed I jumped right on them and will never go back to glasses for every day use. If I am working on a vehicle or doing something more intricate, I will wear glasses as they are much clearer at extremely close distances.

I think remember having to make a focus adjustment on my rifle scopes after getting them. No big deal though.

• 3 weeks later...
You guys convinced me to give it a try. Will be calling eye doctor on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let us know how you make out. I am curious if others have the same success as I have had with these.

I have been wearing them for two weeks and almost love them. My close vision (within 2 feet) is a little blurry. I can see super clear out to about 20-30 feet and then my long distance is a little blurry. For the most part, I don’t need readers now.

I shot my handgun the other day and that is the best I have been able to see my sights. My bow sight is also at that distance that is very clear, which is great.

I am going back on Tuesday for a follow-up and I am hoping they can tweak my prescription a little to make distance and reading a little better. If they can, they will be awesome. If not, I still prefer these over progressives.

• Like 1

Now that I am reading this I do remember her giving me 3 different prescriptions to try, it took me a few weeks to dial in what worked best for me. I agree with what you are saying, far distance for me, like over 200 yards was blurry at first but I adjusted to it and all is good. Very close up, readers are still better, even reading on the phone can be challenging at times, but for the most part everything in between is 95% of life so all is good. If I’m fletching arrow for example, I still want the readers. But for shooting and hunting I would never go back to glasses.