Goose in September

Five Seasons

Why is the waterfowl forum in the regional section but the other game sections are under hunting?

Anyhow, i've been after duck once with a buddy that had a boat, dog, decoys etc. I don't have a boat or desire to go to the water, but I have friends who I know field hunt goose. How doable is it? What's the effort vs the reward and are they any good at all to eat? I can basically kick these things on the sidewalk at work, so the thought of going out early and getting skunked is kind of turn off. But it would be fun to kill some time before deer. I realize I'm late this year, but thinking ahead.

• Like 1

Pretty easy to set up in a field with just some camo burlap, a call and a few decoys. Its fun to do a couple of times a year.
My friend make pastrami out of the breasts and it is out of this world delicious! He has made some other really good dishes with it too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had some of my best times  with friends and family goose hunting.  It's as social  form of hunting there is.  Field lay out is a little bit of work at times . We put out  10 or 12 dozen decoys at times . I have had good shoots  with just 1 dozen decoys.  A  comfortable  lay out blind makes it nice.  When the birds work like they are on a string it can be too easy . 

Theres some time invested in scouting and watching birds work into a field.  I have been up early and watching ponds and lakes following flocks to fields . Nocking on doors for permission.

I remember  one shoot  in September  where we shot 30 birds in just under an hour  and had birds trying to land as we were picking up decoys . 

Very doable .

I like to make jerky and sausage out of goose breasts. I'm not fond of  eating goose rare. Theres tons of recipes  out there . 

Go for it .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why is the waterfowl forum in the regional section but the other game sections are under hunting?
Anyhow, i've been after duck once with a buddy that had a boat, dog, decoys etc. I don't have a boat or desire to go to the water, but I have friends who I know field hunt goose. How doable is it? What's the effort vs the reward and are they any good at all to eat? I can basically kick these things on the sidewalk at work, so the thought of going out early and getting skunked is kind of turn off. But it would be fun to kill some time before deer. I realize I'm late this year, but thinking ahead.

I can answer your first question...all the mods are at the post office with our shirt orders and once they approve the new members, they will rearrange where this post appears. You are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't had time to get out this year but I hope I get a chance. I have a stuffed bread that I make with it that's tasty. Here's more or less the recipe: take 1 breast. Cut it in half length wise. Pounds them out to tenderize them. Soak them overnight in simple salt water brine. Take them out and rinse. Fork them to further tenderize then soak for another night in a marinade. I use a soy ginger teriyaki one that I make. The next day I take them out and grill them. Only about 2 minutes per side over high heat. Take a loaf of Italian bread. Slice it half. Scoop out the bottom. Fry up some bacon. Remove it from the pan and saute mushrooms and onions in the bacon fat. Add garlic toward the end. Layer the bacon, then veggies in the bottom of the loaf. Layer of provalone. Slice the goose breast and Adda thick layer. More provalone. Add the top of the bread. Wrap the whole thing in foil and Toss in the oven on 375 for 20 minutes or so. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Birdhunter said:

Had a good hunt last weekend (9/14) up in the Monticello area. Four of us shot 19...they came in nice to our spread.

9-14 goose hunt.jpg

that's great. I assume the dogs just make the retreival easier and aren't as necessary as hunting over water? I do have a golden who would have been a great bird dog, but he's untrained and now knocking on 15. Even so I bet as a younger dog he would have taken right too it.

Assuming a blind, some decoys and a call and you're basically good to go?

13 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I haven't had time to get out this year but I hope I get a chance. I have a stuffed bread that I make with it that's tasty. Here's more or less the recipe: take 1 breast. Cut it in half length wise. Pounds them out to tenderize them. Soak them overnight in simple salt water brine. Take them out and rinse. Fork them to further tenderize then soak for another night in a marinade. I use a soy ginger teriyaki one that I make. The next day I take them out and grill them. Only about 2 minutes per side over high heat. Take a loaf of Italian bread. Slice it half. Scoop out the bottom. Fry up some bacon. Remove it from the pan and saute mushrooms and onions in the bacon fat. Add garlic toward the end. Layer the bacon, then veggies in the bottom of the loaf. Layer of provalone. Slice the goose breast and Adda thick layer. More provalone. Add the top of the bread. Wrap the whole thing in foil and Toss in the oven on 375 for 20 minutes or so. 

dammit man, now i'm salivating 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pygmy said:

There are not many things in hunting that are more satisfying than the THUMP of a big honker hitting the ground after being folded from about thirty yards up......

Never witnessed it but can only imagine. Watched a sand hill crane hunt on tv few weeks ago. Thump is understatement. Ribeye in the sky I’m told. 

• Like 1

One big thing missing here is PERMISSION. Unless you have a field its challenging to knock on doors. Most close on me immediately when asking.  A dog is not necessary for geese. Young hunters are the dog. If not... old hunters are the dog! Though very challenging, duck hunting can be done without a dog. Not recommended. 

Pygmy NAILED it.. nothing like the honker THUMP. My buddy nearly got clocked in the head last spring by a falling snow goose.  He had to move and it literally fell within a couple feet of him.

• Like 2

I wonder about eating them lol. You don't know what or where they have been eating.

My sons' friend dropped off 6 fresh frozen goose breasts just a couple days ago so I will be trying them out. I've never had any before. Hope the golf course pesticides don't kill me!!

Edited by Fletch
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

One big thing missing here is PERMISSION. Unless you have a field its challenging to knock on doors. Most close on me immediately when asking.  A dog is not necessary for geese. Young hunters are the dog. If not... old hunters are the dog! Though very challenging, duck hunting can be done without a dog. Not recommended. 

Pygmy NAILED it.. nothing like the honker THUMP. My buddy nearly got clocked in the head last spring by a falling snow goose.  He had to move and it literally fell within a couple feet of him.

i have the field, and I wouldn't bring a gang of guys as I know not many folks like the barrage of shotguns at 6am

1 hour ago, Belo said:

dammit man, now i'm salivating 

I've tried a few ways that didn't work out the best. The meat had a strong flavor or would become real tough. This one is gold though. I combined a goose recipe I found on the BBQ Pit Boys site with another recipe I found in field and stream. It's so good that I'll usually make 2 loaves at a time (meat from 1 bird) and share.

Speaking of gold.. You've all heard the (probably) urban legend about the goose with the golden gizzard??  The story goes a hunter shot a goose and found its gizzard full of gold dust/nuggets.  If you think about it, its at least somewhat plausible in regards to the areas migratory geese frequent. Many years ago my uncle swore he found some gold in the gizzard. I haven't searched a gizzard in quite some time.

Eating Canadas - either pluck or skin. Those whom skin cover with bacon sometimes. Stove top stuffing stuffed where the sun dont shine. Cook in an oven bag for bunch of hours in the oven. Done and pretty tasty.  If its tough possible you overcooked. I've eaten BIG old  honkers and they have tasted just fine. You can also make jerky. 

I used to do this with snows. But somehow the snows of today taste like shit compared to those of my younger days.  Now Im salivating, not for eating but for hitting the corn field and duck blind. I got two new young hunters with licenses this year and one new huntress!!

• Like 2

Having "a" field doesn't really mean your good to go. It may hold birds but that doesn't mean they will stay. To be a continuously successful goose hunter knocking on doors is a given. As time goes on permission and area grows so it becomes easier. Getting in with farmers that own lots of fields is a huge plus. 

On a side note,  september season closes today, half hour past sunset.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Having "a" field doesn't really mean your good to go. It may hold birds but that doesn't mean they will stay. To be a continuously successful goose hunter knocking on doors is a given. As time goes on permission and area grows so it becomes easier. Getting in with farmers that own lots of fields is a huge plus. 

On a side note,  september season closes today, half hour past sunset.

that's a good point. it's 3 fields but all right next to each other. I understand that it's not a given for any shooting. Sort of the essence of my post I guess. I can kick these things at work and could be totally skunked in the woods. sort of annoying.

• Like 1

I've shot (and "shot at") my share.

It's often a feast or famine endeavor, especially if you are hunting fields. This time of year if you can find a corn field that's been partly cut for sileage, you have a pretty good chance of drawing them in. If you have access to a pond where they roost or visit you have a good chance on getting some shooting in, but a lot of guys frown on roost hunting. I'd rather hunt residents now than migratory birds in the winter, laying in a  blind on the frozen ground waiting for birds to come in doesn't work for me anymore.

Their meat is very dark (because they fly so much), a little bloody tasting, like most I'd rather make chili or jerky or sausage out of it. I actually prefer the small legs than the breasts, but they are some work to carve out.

Where I live it's getting to be where almost all farm fields are leased for goose hunting, pretty much pay-to-play now, IMO opinion the popularity of Duck Dynasty caused that.

Edited by Uncle Nicky