How many days have you hunted small game so far this season ?

Hunter007

The only season open in my area is Squirrels went after them a couple of times with a shotgun, I prefer hunting them later in the fall with rimfire rifles after the leaves fall. Grouse is also open but the hunting here for them is lousy and I hunt them for the most part in the Southern zone. Upcoming Tuesday most small game seasons will be open up here and I plan on doing quite a bit of hunting, hopefully the weather will cooperate.:wink:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I knocked a red squirrel out of a tree last Sunday with my pellet gun, but I could not find the carcass.  No big deal, since they are too small to eat anyhow.   I don't like them noisy little bastards and they seem to chase the greys away (which I do like to eat).  The cheap scope on my $39 Dick's sale price Chinese Marksman .177 cal pellet gun has got to go.  Horrible light gathering in the woods (it looked ok in the bright sunlight of the yard when I was sighting it in).  

The fiber-optic sights on that gun look pretty good, and those are what I will use on my next hunt.  The view thru the scope was so bad, in the dark woods, that my only option was to aim for center of mass of the squirrel (at a 15 yard range) and hope for the best.   The scope is going in the garbage.   I was surprised that it seems to hold a decent group, in the bright sunlight, because it is mounted to the receiver and the barrel has to be tilted down and cocked to load the cylinder.  The sights are both mounted to the barrel, which should result in better accuracy.        

Edited by wolc123