Meat or bone

greensider

Generally meat...but this year and hopefully for many to come a friend has blessed with some prime land and tons of bucks and quite a few 100"+  on cam, rubs and scrapes. So this year i will wait for a buck. Its gonna be new and hard for me to watch deer all day waiting. But im doing it unless a 200# doe comes by.    I add ive never shot a bow buck, only a bunch if doe. And this year if its not mountable im not shooting i promised myself n friend.

Edited by mikedagun
  • Like 1

Usually meat...but....

If I have an empty freezer, I hope for a nice doe with muzzleloading season (NT). Once I have meat in the freezer, I am happy to hunt the rest of the season just to be out in the woods...BUT if a nice buck comes along, so much the better. That just kind of gives me a reason to go out. 

This year though, I have quite a bit of venison from two big deer in the freezer yet, along with about half a moose. I have to do a meat inventory soon. I may choose not to shoot one if it isn't exceptional...be it buck or doe, and likely not until late season. My scheduled time off I can use stretching my cycling season, fishing or small gaming in the S tier. 

She doesn't eat meat but she sure likes the bone? Lol

Depends on where I'm hunting and the mood I'm in. If a bog doe presents me with a shot I'm taking it unless it's the rut and the chase is on.

The past few years I've passed on plenty of bucks and the one year ended up shooting a small 5 pt with the bow because there was only 2 days left in the season and I was on a property that's over run with deer.