Last minute details

Swamp_bucks

Was going through my normal check list the other day making sure im all good for the season.  Looks like all i have left to finish is my hangon setup with my sticks.  Havent gotten it setup the way i want as of right now just a couple other little things.  And wash clothes.  

What last minute stuff do you have  to get done before season?

I made a checklist for backpack the other day. Packed it all in yesterday very quick. I'm not OCD but checklists are easy to jot down what you may need throughout the hunt. I do this with vacations too. Don't think ive ever forgot anything for either.

well, maybe my daughters entire suitcase sitting in the living room on a trip to Michigan or bringing my Ruger 10/.22 to sight in a my muzzle loader 

Clothes washed yesterday and will permithrin spray them tomorrow if I can remember where I put that tub

• Like 1

I usually hang my jackets and pants out on the line to get rained on/ wind dried for a few days, then put them in a bag with some pine branches from the trees I sit in. Other than that, make sure my flashlight has fresh batteries, drop my knife and a few shells in my pocket as I go out and we are ready for the season. Oh, I also bought a fresh bag of Snickers bars. Last years are ok, but getting real chewy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Gonna brush in a blind a little this weekend but that's it.  Been thinking I should change rangefinder battery as I haven't since I got it 4 years ago.  Gonna load up deer cart into truck bed for the season.  

My range finder said dead battery tonight while shooting league . That is a must have.

• Like 1

The last few years, I have been using (2) 8 foot, camo-painted ladders to access (4) stands over at my folks place.  They are kind of noisy to carry around the woods.   I am going to paint up a couple more and get them out there by the time Southern zone crossbow season opens.    

I completed my last stand move over there last Sunday, finding a cherry tree that was about 12" diameter, in just the right location.  It is about 5 yards from the spot where I killed a big button buck last year, from a pop-up blind, with my crossbow.   The shooting lanes I made for that are still opened up and will work good from the stand.  The tree has good cover behind it and even had a burl in just the right spot to support the bottom of the stand, so that it does not sag and wobble on the strap.

That one is on the edge of a clover plot where several nice bucks have been feeding regularly.  It is going to be tough deciding if that is going to be my opening day of gun spot this year, or if I will go back to the one deep in the woods by the swamp, where I killed a nice 3.5 year old buck last year.   I suppose that I will let the wind and weather make the call.        

At home, I still have to get the shooting lanes bush-hogged around a few stands.  Maybe I can knock that off this Sunday afternoon if it is dry enough.   All of my deer weapons except my crossbow are sighted in.  That has never taken more than a half-hour, but I will try to get it done soon, just to make sure it is still in good shape.  There is still time to get it repaired or replaced if necessary, prior to the October 16 northern zone opener.  

Until it breaks, or full inclusion happens, I am just going to see how many deer I can kill with that cheap, entry-level crossbow.  If I keep my practice shots to a minimum, it might be good for another 5 or 10 years.   Not bad for a $ 250 investment.  It has produced nearly half of my family's venison since 2014 and has yet to let me down on a shot, or make me track more than 40 yards to find a carcass.        

I started using Milkweed last season, I still carry the powder in my pack. Not sure which I like better as the milkweed gets caught on branches to easily. Although it's very interesting to watch it as it makes its way through the woods.

As for the prep, I am soo far behind this year. But I'm still a 10/15 guy and early bow is really dress rehearsal for me. I look forward to 10/31 through election day. Plus after looking at the weather for 10/1, 80 degrees and storms doesn't trip my trigger!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Also forgot i finished getting all my milk weed pulled apart and into a sandwhich bag.  Going to try using it for the first time this year.  Anyone else use milkweed for checking wind?

@turkeyfeathers hooked me up, theyre drying in my garage. I may throw them in the dryer actually. I just leave them in their natural "container"

I have a checklist that i use. If it weren't for that, i know I'd forget something. I just have it typed up and can print it out at the start of each season. I'm pretty much set once I've been out once or twice. Clothes haven been hanging out on the monkey bars for a few days now. Getting a good soak today by the looks of it. I'll throw those in a tupperware tote once they dry out with some oak and pine branches. Aside from that I should be in pretty good shape.

Oh, and I just stocked up on these...

fireballs.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Take some pics of that wouldya?

Yes, sir, I will. Purpose is to get away from the bother of a pack (weight and also just dealing with it). There are packs made specifically for my climber, but they are unavailable or look excessively sized. I've found what I think will be perfect packs (fieldline from dicks) at $10/piece and I think they'll hook up nicely with zip ties. Will be enough to hold some coffee, binoculars, etc.