Which wildlife management area has the best hunting when hunting public land ?

Hunter007

all depends what your looking for u can head up north and go to areas and not see another hunter and have a shot at the big boy then again you can hunt all week and never see a deer, or theres areas down south where doe permits are given away by the handful and you have a good chance at getting shots but there will be other hunters and very few big boys, or bucks at all after opener

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Any in the top counties in region 8 or 9. Can check last years harvest reports for top counties ,usually.stuben,allegany,cattaraugus.  Lots of state land in each. Most is untouched except.opening day and thanksgiving weekends

That is what I saw on there last time I checked . Sucks I never got a chance to go look around those areas . 

Sheesh ... might as well ask A/S/L. 

Kind of personal....  just  busting .

I hunt alot of stateland  over the years. Theres a few things  the good ones have in common .  Long walks from the road to find deer .   Food sources   crops bordering it .  Cover and escapes. When I'm hunting big tracks of stateland  I know I'm not pulling the trigger on a doe or small bucks .

8,9 are productive  zones  but they aren't easy 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Sheesh ... might as well ask A/S/L. 

Kind of personal....  just  busting .

I hunt alot of stateland  over the years. Theres a few things  the good ones have in common .  Long walks from the road to find deer .   Food sources   crops bordering it .  Cover and escapes. When I'm hunting big tracks of stateland  I know I'm not pulling the trigger on a doe or small bucks .

8,9 are productive  zones  but they aren't easy 

Oh I know that's why I didn't bother asking specific names of state land  just  General area units. 

5 hours ago, land 1 said:

hunter 007 if u never looked around last time why ask again, do some leg work

Not for me really since I know the best ones are far away from me and I probably not going to.get a chance to get there this year , I know it's going to be asked by someone else again figure I just start a thread  , makes easier for guys that don't have the patience to search for old threads on here   .besides  things change from year to year what's good few years back  doesn't necessarily mean it is good now .

On 9/26/2019 at 5:31 AM, Hunter007 said:

Not for me really since I know the best ones are far away from me and I probably not going to.get a chance to get there this year , I know it's going to be asked by someone else again figure I just start a thread  , makes easier for guys that don't have the patience to search for old threads on here   .besides  things change from year to year what's good few years back  doesn't necessarily mean it is good now .

It could probably help some of the folks answer in more detail if you said where you are and how far you are willing to go. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It could probably help some of the folks answer in more detail if you said where you are and how far you are willing to go. 

Near NYC over the past 30 years  I have driven up to 5 even 6 hours away to hunt but I can't do that to many times a year especially when hunting alone .

Usually I stick to 3n 3s and 3j 

I may try my luck in the adks 5H again this year for a day or two if I get a chance to get up there .just because I like those huge wild areas not because I think it's the greatest hunting up there . Usually you find better hunting near farms and  nice neighborhoods  but I rather hunt the  wild  open spaces  when I can just hard for me to get away for to long .

On 9/25/2019 at 5:59 PM, Hunter007 said:

Which wildlife management unit  has the best hunting when hunting public land ? 

This got to get asked  every year probably,  

wmu09small.gif

Assuming you mean deer, are you looking for quantity, quality or a challenge? 

Challenge = Adirondacks

Quantity = central NY or the southern tier

Quality = between Rochester and Buffalo, north of the thruway

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 5:59 PM, Hunter007 said:

Which wildlife management unit  has the best hunting when hunting public land ? 

This got to get asked  every year probably,  

wmu09small.gif

I'd tell you that, Stormy, but then I'd have to kill you....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Just another pointless asinine thread by stormy. 

Sorry......

This is a hunting site right ?

If pointless why does it get asked every year then ? We all know Nobody is going to say exactly where they hunt if  it is that great  just the  region that is about it .