Just sayin' Hello

Robin

It's been a while since I have logged into HuntingNY and I just wanted to stop by and say Hello. Some might remember my previous posts about my canoe in wall tent deer camps up at Lows Lake. I did that 5 times, made a few videos and they where well received . I never did shoot a deer there, I tried but age had kinda slowed me down and just getting out there was rewarding enough. I'm lucky to have two sons who provide me with all the venison I want, which I eat once a week year round. 

Life thru me a couple of curve balls in recent years, I was diagnosed with bladder and prostrate cancer due to exposer to Agent Orange in Vietnam. The VA has done a great job of getting that all cleared up, but the radiation caused me to lose a lot of strength in my hamstrings, climbing a stairs is an ordeal, portaging my gear and setting up camp would be too much for me now. Hunting is pretty much a thing of the past.

Besides the update and saying Hi, I want to remind all that getting your PSA checked yearly is really important, had the VA not checked mine regularly  I would not be here today. I also would like to remind folks to get out there while you can, I'm glad I did. 

I'll include a few pics of my camp and a link to some videos.  Good Luck this year and stay safe.

Youtube channel, my last trip-

wrIbbehUOrSQVnx-DrrQZKZkNi4f2TUCEA8syq089820VUdNF_D9yl4nAgV61zNn2Sye92l0j23W6L2B_r2mb7Tb8Q4B_DrEbGc4U63t4duWtHjn_n7hOI9pKqlQgaM1_R_r_7AsWItEcUswydG4hS32Qb6fcwewYVjxHmQrnjHSYbeojtTx_Jo7_JdbnbtUuFSlcYX59AcAumljGO0WQhJuCyIQ2uGB4qKCh5x3Da0tXaIPLtR1UNlqtUAKAU_MUA-r24L9XwU0ymAwkSgTYyWrqbtNf0Xd8P3J-NN8vZUAVpNucszGXoY_qMxZSl8Z8KjeQCcahSf6tBkcaMU4LBDlK-x4s6sY1AqIbs7bFlyoFwQPU813qRB7KY7k_6CetnMYDYhNY2MOLBSImL9TMUzqDiRWRyuWca25ETvq_MIWSiR7JaaRS8d45DMpWS5I1BIPbTYuURh8oJQhccMEWR03ChQtzh1BQFMTNoE2e9kHxTPOzVI8AE12yD0NB7BPpsBOIwCQI6_wQAb1-e9Sfrs9LHXHc87i-YdVEWIjJIkgzPXluyN_gHFbg6gRSp8zYxUYsJMw21KHQFgNHgPchQB0WaL_QtVYwhWKQcS1bEPUjC-iec3ktkIaEIwrzDO-X3X2fUmL4rAHLH_WAIOfVtXkJ7qHL-GJCgpLRkpLV50q2MihjBo28ac=w640-h480-no

jmSvo2xXglFgbJFNzTmendQkuX_Dh6sOhhq_rdWHfmaXqI2VgC2TsfoCAPyJmrrleKjq4dUXyqeoyBnPZOUzG2JHez7yCInNH6wNvZ__Z41c7WqJs8yPTxEj_mxfEwcB3pVDsWuINeCLVZe_E3E0IJ24IxqKYXdQ9JXXrzupCKe44YGEQkNFHTed80fjqYNnTtfXw4XNKAEmQpQUTeYziCCWyYGueoTolvZm_kUJaPWM61Di5i9xUWTxIl8z3f-znywzci7AwFinCHixOnvHYm6dxHYJv0JhlZIyGfMLo4puB86W_U9ZxVujLuzGeM3xkTTZl9iAHJ2ivdTQc7nkVK4hfSZhj-XNjnx3gvUT6VhXF26Xakpa7DR5Mik_eHnqhsDH-oYrdqRY6w2uoAlvqqYMFvXcLvE9LjOIhSaNq2VIzOQL3RN23EpciKq_-Vnph-M5nD39DBHVP1xhKa3KRDftKLkX7yoTM_Qj__0fJEGlQhOy6x_Z0_B8xZeX6kzGUzkiIWU015knh4HxaaR9-ifMBpcJyMwXuntocWRTiArS5RwmB1JC-7f3p_vAybZPVe2_uiEdK2Rv7xnlHMVyecjDDH7E_3tKIqGxFnN1MgDP1csPROVsreV6wT2MM5UI4ShdKb7VNmtcTT9pIBMKG8ajWtI_my__ClCfILNkLUBX6aY3f6gx1H4=w640-h480-no

6HZ7TTHKtX4l0qKkfttBnN8pJ4xK_nfQigzz0CVQJ6osXVQA67Qfeuz7anWoOTDluwotVkq1xXjcQsDWbotzN6HpkaPoq1m6jwUXcMGClva846lPbnsPE2OpGpQ0yPa6doC1Phy3pIwYHevhJuYPcZixK9HrvqFQfS13JS906KH2xRxsjkWyWDqIlljvCY8L2VHyNpBfPKNm9aiQD6bxIYAefGecS55BpVl-AWD5enHCofPTXfoEQ_8yTMtAvDK9Vz3jvJXbIHi6sFT0p4gjoMgUj9T_9i41wk3kFw20Vd_L0eYnV4xgfnitDb_Aowf0lv8AD_yheG5URj2Uz_GkBnArgJ6HqLLkj1AqKTHWHuChD3mnBOmJGi3GI2IJLM1VFwlZqy62WUXTX-ik3TVrnWiPdvttZ4uNrUKSy9EPQCroIiVwoKLHDlIhnQKEBTNXS_HaEoTu5RDjpkBlkQMltawwbrJFScO_yJg792iOCvaId7gFEa9_uMjJVNdDbf4LLLM19VjZGgKrJnaU2yZz9xBVGgzMLLBbNv6gqsQfM5SuCPZpuzdVdTSXFGJGd_HQpW_ID1RMR9Eh_295S46fxk8dlNJQ3dEPlSIZajehmqcRjz7h0ftsSuZmviIm4DFAkEdZVXHHenc61zbgiNhUh3TkkrG5T12nJR7ON8GzeoF2p8R9gRKOYBQ=w640-h480-no

aZZt2IKLvr8n6EkvPjFo9jLRrW_SXyb9AZOKtoqCoqT2v6w1UCjOwhqAbJek5FCKelvzZ7tBXNN7k06Q2QZNXG9lYUnVKABchB7fPccFruwsV8gUVZgxIbQsGB4K9SaNczeJ--F2bN79qv4-0FXYKLpd4pSsL48YCch8xPaePTDckroOwGT7mqVMSG7CxZgfJne_9ftAQzk6vWdjqFV4_ZC0IM4EVaNBkqImU3rraLCzvyjSjA3ihiRERye6aWkT_CoDoXVq3Ett2ecfBNPHe3gLO_vCLhk0MGb8BFyB03YGJvkoVqFh7k_Q1MNVu4KOiMRTP_Vg50HyAKPMU3g5lkI90MzzKcAxNRCJIlJOlQ9sgXtrDyPfSFv3VRYOJ0pSmaOUWlXmuO-QeY4Zu1Sy_Ni2zfkqhVla7E5icODRmKfGh3hsCuOEb5Mr-KGpBC-zFO4h2cyIp7giK81qw6z3vu94VkjnfG-sAqQhI34wXlBJ6-mtLz_j-9P2d47F5AOIpljcfBLcK_vRlreTkcOV3sdlAfJppj4jK79lAnr9VbGEGCcaH1tJobdpq9IcbnW4KMsLqtQr5f7aQNYFe3TOysoNayByGD75L43t-O4F8rOKCQiHqzyholRa9z6QAwygQ--903rNh1BAT7zgJjXfTSiM73z6U8o7iSTuzzVuOtXayq4fXj6TOZY=w640-h480-no

• Like 24

Hi and welcome back Robin!  Count me as one who very much enjoyed your posts and video's too. Sorry to hear of your health issues. Less than two years ago I underwent bladder cancer surgery, and I'm still having some problems popping up.  And I have lost a step or two since then. But still kicking!

Your experience and advice is still greatly valued here sir. Hope to hear more from you!

Thank you for your service, and welcome home my friend.

• Like 2

Robin,

Good to hear from you, not so good about the health issues I wish you the best. I always enjoyed your adventures and have always wanted to do some canoe back country hunting trips like yours. I survived a bout with non Hodgkin lymphoma in my 30's so I understand live life as you never know how much you got. 

Pop in from time to time and say hi, its good to hear from you.

Robin

Sorry to hear about your health issues and to say never say never.

The Adirondacks hold a special place in my heart and wish I could get there more often. I have always viewed your videos as a way to reminisce and could put myself in your seat and enjoy what you were experiencing.

They are truly a special place and you have been able to experience them like most will never do.

Here's to you and your health :drinks: and hopes of you being able to return some day.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and hope to one day see some more:good::hi:

• Like 1

If your interested I usually set up camp in Moose River Plains.  Not so sure it will be done this year as we are  having issues setting a date.  You would have an open spot if your interested!  Would only need your gear as I have extra cots.  I will let you know when we set a date even if you just wanted to come and check it out for a later date. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your service and thanks for posting all those great videos of your canoe/camping/deer hunting trips.    Watching them is the next best thing to going up there.  Your videos help us all see that the real wonder of that area, is the beauty and scerentity of it.         

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up for the first week in November, have an open spot if you want to come.  We always have extra room if you want to bring a friend.  So far I have 5 total coming up.  Let me know if you are interested.   I will go up the 31st of October or the 1-2nd depending on weather and set up base camp, the boys will show up on Tuesday, Wed the next week so if you wanted you could hunt for as long as you want till we leave on Sunday the 10th.  You could even do a day trip, I have a few spots I can set you up in that are good deer runs not to far in the woods if your interested!  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Again, 

Just an update, we moved to Maine to be near our daughter and family, I have made a couple of trips up to the North Maine Woods car camping in some remote ponds. Im planning on going one more time with my wall tent in a week or so. No hunting, just hanging out around the tent and paddling a new to me canoe I just finished, a 16' Chestnut Cruiser. 

Lows Lake is a 7 hour driver now for me, and I would do it opening week of rifle if I could get my gear up around that upper dam at Lows, legs just wont have it. 

I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable season, I'll be checking in.

Cheers, Robin

IMG_1827.jpg

• Like 13

Great job on the canoe and great to hear from you. You always added so much to the forum and it is nice having you around.  STOP BY MORE OFTEN:hi:

You and buckmaster would make a great pair;  he could probably carry you on his back and I wouldn't mind tagging along.

Edited by Steve D

Thanks for all the kind words. There's no place like the NY ADK's,  sitting in the big woods was so peaceful,  paddling my canoe to and from hunting areas on Lows was always rewarding in it's self. 

It doesn't get any better than this.

DSC00816.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

DSC00774.JPG

buck saw.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Robin said:

There's no place like the NY ADK's,  sitting in the big woods was so peaceful.

It doesn't get any better than this.

I am not sure if I ever read truer words on this forum. Thanks for the reminder.  I can only think of one place that might be better, but I ain't quite ready for that yet.

If all goes well, I will be heading up Friday (about 30 mi NW of Lows).  The only thing I dont like about hunting up there, is that it takes much of the luster out of hunting the noisy, busy flatlands around home in WNY. 

The best thing about it, is that it has cured me of any desire to do another hunt on the west side of the Misissippi.  That is especially nice during this Covid deal, and on the pocketbook. 

The Rockies got nothing on the Adirondacks, as far as the scenery goes, and whitetails are better eating than muleys. Maybe they will open up a moose season up there some day.  I like the taste of them better than elk.

I don't do much canoeing, but I rarely fire up the outboard on my rowboat in the mornings.   I definitely see and hear a lot more wildlife, when using the oars for power, before any other boats come out on the lake.  

If I can get reception, I will try to post some "live" pics of some crossbow, ML and rifle deer hunting action, starting this Friday.  Just 2 days away and I can hardly wait. 

Here is one from the last morning I was up there on Labor day weekend:

20200907_063618.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I know how you feel!  My ankle blew up on me last year and it happened to my other ankle this year!  Between Covid, elections, my body and little interest from the rest of the crew I seriously debated not going up this year.  Some of the crew are showing interest but I told them this year I need help with setting up camp.  My mind says go but my body is not ready for those mountains.  Hope you have a great time and get better luck with the deer, regardless it is always a great time in the deep woods, best of luck and be safe!  Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!  Hope you are have a great time right NOW!

• 3 months later...

Hi Again,

My son came up here to Maine from Connecticut for a visit this past weekend and we got to talking about hunting. One thing led to another and we decided to team up next fall for a canoe in deer camp at Lows Lake, first week of the northern zone rifle. He will be a big help portaging the gear around the upper dam, something I'm unable to do anymore. My new to me big Chestnut Cruiser canoe will handle the gear and Lows winds with no problem.

109.thumb.JPG.9463629ff9ab67dc4c7ca27f63aa494c.JPG

He is now self employed and has plenty of free time come hunting season, that was never the case in the past. He's a good hunter, he scores consistently every year in Connecticut. While the chances of success can be slim there, it won't be for lack of effort. 

I have also done some modifications to my small wall tent recently, moving the stove jack to the back center of the tent so now two cots can fit nicely inside, with still enough room for two guys. 

IMG_2080.jpg.2f1cec0545d2c9f8fea8289ac792f25f.jpg

The cots break down easily for plenty of room for two around the wood stove for evening libations.

Even though I have most of my gear ready, it will be fun fine tuning for next years hunt. It's good to be back!

Here's a 6 day trip I took last October to the North Maine Woods, no hunting and fishing was closed, just camped up there solo.

• Like 8