Hunting near a loud road/other noise.

regulat0r

Hi all, I recently obtained permission to hunt a medium size patch of woods that shows great potential. I checked my trail cam from there and got a lot of deer. The issue is, the spot where I want to hang a stand is about 300 yards from a major highway with constant traffic noise. On one hand it could help mask my noise but of course on the other, deer can be walking right behind me and I wouldn’t know. My buddy used to hunt near a rock quarry that constantly had machines running and he killed plenty of deer there. Aside from being constantly visually observant, is there any other things to consider? Anybody ever have a similar situation? Thanks!

I have a spot close to home that is just like this. Surrounded by houses on one side and thruway on the other side.  My stand is hung 40-50 yards from the thruway. My back is to the thruway the cars constantly going by sucks but those cars help mask your accent and any noise that you might make.   

I don't hunt this spot often because it doesn't feel like a true country sit to me but for me it's a great spot to take the kids for a short sit or a quick sit before work if I decide to go in to work late.

I see plenty of deer there and last year I took 3 deer With the muzzle loader there each on half day hunts.

I was sitting watching a doe one season when a logging truck, a tractor trailer, came down the road. We were probably 60 yards from the washboard dirt road, the truck banging and clanging as it bounced down the hill, the jake brake blaring and moaning as it came down the steep grade... that doe never so much as glanced in that direction, she paid it no mind what so ever. She couldn't have cared less. 

Seems like married guys have a knack of tuning out certain noises.... Can't believe I said that! :pleasantry:
Use that man trait when hunting in noisy areas!!

A coworker of mine is legit deaf...and the father of triplets. He calls his hearing loss a superpower as he has never heard a screaming child at night since he can turn his hearing aids off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I recently obtained permission to hunt a medium size patch of woods that shows great potential. I checked my trail cam from there and got a lot of deer. The issue is, the spot where I want to hang a stand is about 300 yards from a major highway with constant traffic noise. On one hand it could help mask my noise but of course on the other, deer can be walking right behind me and I wouldn’t know. My buddy used to hunt near a rock quarry that constantly had machines running and he killed plenty of deer there. Aside from being constantly visually observant, is there any other things to consider? Anybody ever have a similar situation? Thanks!

My dad is pretty much deaf and he kills a lot of deer. He hunts solely based on sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2