Going to use something a little different this season

WNYBuckHunter

This summer I pulled my 308 R700 VTR apart and sent it out for Cerakote, but haven’t put it back together yet, as I havent found just the right stock for it. I decided I would use my 6.5 Grendel for deer season this year. It should be great to carry, even with the scope it’s super light weight and pretty compact. I’m waiting for the Hornaday 132gr SSTs to come in so I can get it dialed in. 

10D856B6-B3A8-4E72-B506-055B52353253.jpeg

• Like 18

As someone who love traditional old hunting rifles, loves single shot rifles, loves black powder cartridge rifles, loves traditional traditional muzzle loaders, and will do thing like drag a 50-90 Sharps through the woods, or hunt with a flintlock during the regular season.... I"m almost embarrassed by how much I enjoy hunting with the AR. The ergonomics are wonderful for it, safety and pistol grip work great with gloves, adjustable stock is a blessing with bulky hunting clothes, and I don't care how wet it gets or what I bang it into in the woods. 

In recent years it's become my bad weather gun, but I'm leaving it home this year as I took a deer with it last season and something else needs a chance.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

This summer I pulled my 308 R700 VTR apart and sent it out for Cerakote, but haven’t put it back together yet, as I havent found just the right stock for it. I decided I would use my 6.5 Grendel for deer season this year. It should be great to carry, even with the scope it’s super light weight and pretty compact. I’m waiting for the Hornaday 132gr SSTs to come in so I can get it dialed in. 

How much does it weigh?

1 hour ago, Core said:

Scope isn't big enough.

Very nice pattern you have on it, though.

I honestly like the look of that scope with the shade on it. Its great in crappy weather, keeps the snow and rain off the objective lens. I would have left the flip cap on the shade too, but it doesnt fit with these mounts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

But.... that is a "Scary" looking Gun!  And it should be Banned!  :  Libs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rattler said:

So in order to be legal, the mag is pinned and cannot be removed from the rifle?  And that's all that's required, right?

Well, it cant be removed without taking the rifle apart. In my county, ARMaglocks are fine, per the DA. I have the stuff, just havent installed it yet, so the mag thats in there is currently pinned "permanently". I do have to install a block in it though, as 5 rounds is all thats legal for hunting. Nothing a hunk of wood or plastic under the follower wont fix.

• Like 1

I had my iron sighted 300/221 upper on when I shot my deer last year.  I'd wished then and still now that I'd had the 6.5G upper on it!  :D

I bought some plastic "mag blocks" and installed them finally last year, when I originally got my Grendel 5 round mags, I couldn't figure out why they were so heavy until I took them apart. lol

5-65.jpg

Edited by cas
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cas said:

I had my iron sighted 300/221 upper on when I shot my deer last year.  I'd wished then and still now that I'd had the 6.5G upper on it!  :D

I bought some plastic "mag blocks" and installed them finally last year, when I originally got my Grendel 5 round mags, I couldn't figure out why they were so heavy until I took them apart. lol

5-65.jpg

Thats funny, just a 10 rounder with a crazy spring. Ill probably take a couple of my kid's lego blocks and put them under the follower.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 12:01 AM, Hock3y24 said:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hornady-american-gunner-6-5-grendel-ammo-123-grain-bthp-rifle-81511-p-109129.aspx FYI 200 round boxes of Hornaday in stock, TSUSA ships to your front door for free also. 

Thanks for posting this.  They have some great prices and the free shipping is awesome!  I needed 1K rounds of 7.62x39 from a place that will ship to my door.

^_^