Bobcat Trapping

Pygmy

My son-in-law has been getting trailcam picts of at least two different bobcats, and one is a monster..

I checked out the spot and it is a natural crossing..It has everything..  A   creek crossing, intersecting woods roads and a natural bottleneck..

I have decided to try to trap a bobcat this year...

Any advice from you veteran trappers  about sets, attractors or lures ( or any thing else)  ??

I have a done a limited amount of canine trapping....Not an expert, but I know the basics, but I have no experience with cats..

I am tentatively planning to use a dirthole set with  specific bobcat lure and urine...Any advice or input will be gratefully accepted...

• Like 5

Thanks, Rac….That video is VERY informative....If I catch a bobcat, you will be the first one I send a picture to...The dude in the video did a very good job of explaining what he thinks a cat will do, and I will set up in a spot that I KNOW bobcats travel, using his info..Thanks again, My friend..

• Like 1

I am super excited to start trapping this year but very envious that you are in an area where bobcat is open. From all I have read and watched It seems that location is key and scent is not as big of an issue with cats as it is with canines. What traps are you going to set for them Dan?

Edit: another question. What are you planning to do with it WHEN you do catch one? tan skin or mount it?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am super excited to start trapping this year but very envious that you are in an area where bobcat is open. From all I have read and watched It seems that location is key and scent is not as big of an issue with cats as it is with canines. What traps are you going to set for them Dan?

Edit: another question. What are you planning to do with it WHEN you do catch one? tan skin or mount it?

Duke #2 coil springs.... IF  I am lucky enough to catch one, I plan to  skin it cased, have it tanned and hang it on the wall next to a coyote pelt I had tanned years ago...    

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Duke #2 coil springs.... IF  I am lucky enough to catch one, I plan to  skin it cased, have it tanned and hang it on the wall next to a coyote pelt I had tanned years ago...    

I know this has a HUGE potential to derail a thread, especially one where Pygmy is involved. but any chance you can get a hold any fresh or frozen beaver meat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know this has a HUGE potential to derail a thread, especially one where Pygmy is involved. but any chance you can get a hold any fresh or frozen beaver meat?

SMILE  !!!...Hehehe...  No Bob....I don't know of any of the local guys who trap them anymore...Too much work for what they are worth....

If I should happen to see a fresh  road kill,  I'll keep you in mind...WE might even SPLIT it....Hehehe....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Flashing is key for cats I know   Turkey wing on fishing line as attractor type of thing. 

Yeah,  I have been reading up on it and watching videos...Now I have a reason to shoot a couple of those mergansers I always pass up opening day of duck season..Wings and feathers...Hehehe....

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

So reading the regs what is pelt sealing and how or where do you get it done? I see the possession tag in the regs.

You must have a DEC representative attach plastic seal(s) to the pelt(s) or unskinned carcass of fisher, marten, otter, or bobcat. Contact your local regional wildlife office to make arrangements to get your fisher, marten, otter, or bobcat sealed

^^^^from the dec website

• 2 weeks later...

I made my first ever specific sets for bobcats this morning...I only had  time to make two because I had to take The Mermaid  to a DR appt....I'll put in 2 or 3 tomorrow , and then  set a few for coyotes...

I'll probably catch every damn skunk and possum on the property...<<sigh>>…...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I put  3 more sets in this morning... Boy does that bobcat pee ever STINK  !!

I've got 2 cubbies and 3 dirtholes, baited with merganser meat and bobcat gland lure, plus some bobcat urine sprinkled around  for good measure..

I put  3 more sets in this morning... Boy does that bobcat pee ever STINK  !!
I've got 2 cubbies and 3 dirtholes, baited with merganser meat and bobcat gland lure, plus some bobcat urine sprinkled around  for good measure..

Cant wait for the pics!!!! I can only imagine the excitement of walking up to a trap, not knowing if you outsmarted you’re target. Christmas morning at every trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Good luck Dan! 

I had considered trying to trap coyotes here at the house, but an experienced trapper I know warned me that I would catch every bobcat around.  Since I don't want to target bobcats (or try to release them) I decided against it.  

Looking forward to reading about your trapping season.

I came SOOO close this morning....I had a cat track ON my trap, but just off the pan.... I need to learn how to block the traps better to control where they step.. 

The good news is that the cat got a free meal ( duck leg)  and did not have an unpleasant experience, so hopefully he'll be back and I'll get another chance at him...

It rained pretty hard last night, so I re-scented all of my sets..So far no freezing temps to deal with... I need to go shoot a couple more mergansers for bait...

• Like 11