Peep sight question

rachunter

I was read along in the “iron sight” thread about shooting with a peep sight and want to give it another shot. I have a marlin 3030 and 35 both scoped. I’m going to put peep sight on the 3030 I already have an xs sight that goes on the receiver but I’m wondering if it makes any difference if then the ones that go on the barrel? Or is that just a personal preference thing?

Also when sighting in on the bench what type of accuracy should I expect? I’m going to keep the shots at 100yrds. Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want the peep as close to your eye as possible.

Should hold 2-3” at 100yds. Put a big cross with tape on the target so you can hold the same spot while sighting.

Thanks it’s set up and ready to go. Hopefully I can hit the range this weekend.
b7239ea145bf447c3ad88a4f7e3301d2.jpg

• Like 1

Is that a fixed aperture? Holy moley! For quick shots at close range, that may be fine, but generally the smaller your post and aperture the finer you can hold. Both my redfield and lyman apertures came with several sized peeps. If your did, you may want to experiment for which gives you the best sight picture. Remember that you do not expect the rear sight to be in focus. When sighting in mine, I hold the very top edge of the front sight to the very edge of the target...quite literally, the fine line is my target. The finer you hold, the tighter your group potentially. If you are starting fresh with new sights, You probably want to start at around 50 yards, to minimize the flyers as you sight in. Certainly the longer your sighting plain the better potential accuracy. That is where the old tang sights came in.

• Like 1

For target shooting in good light, the smaller apertures will reduce the size of your groups...

But for hunting within open sight ranges ( 100 yards)  the bigger apertures do fine and work faster and better in low light conditions...A lot of the old timers in pre-scope days used to remove the screw in aperture and just use the big hole that it screws into...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Is that a fixed aperture? Holy moley! For quick shots at close range, that may be fine, but generally the smaller your post and aperture the finer you can hold. Both my redfield and lyman apertures came with several sized peeps. If your did, you may want to experiment for which gives you the best sight picture. Remember that you do not expect the rear sight to be in focus. When sighting in mine, I hold the very top edge of the front sight to the very edge of the target...quite literally, the fine line is my target. The finer you hold, the tighter your group potentially. If you are starting fresh with new sights, You probably want to start at around 50 yards, to minimize the flyers as you sight in. Certainly the longer your sighting plain the better potential accuracy. That is where the old tang sights came in.

It might just be the angle of the camera,but that's the smaller aperture.I'll be using it for hunting like Pygmy explained.

• Like 2

Lol, he’s shooting deer not X’s on a piece of paper. Rachunter, that looks like you’re on the right track. Now screw that knurled part on the butt end of the aperture and throw that in the garbage you’ll never use it or need it. I even go a step further and drill it out a little bit on all mine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rachunter said:

xs sight system ML-0012-5 marlin 336,1894 & 30AS It doesn't mention henry on the direction sheet.

https://www.xssights.com/Hunting_Rifle_Sights_pr-8209.aspx

I looked at that page and found a sight for my Winchester #94 30-30 ...... Thanks ! These old eyes of mine need a little help these days !

• Like 2

Perfect, thanks Henry’s use the same pattern as a 336.

Do you know if the receiver pattern is the same on the Remington 760 and 7600 are the same? That’s the gun I really want to set up with open sights.

No, 760 and 7600 are different and neither matches the 336 pattern.

Thanks I had to call xs about my reneged. They actually have a sight system for the 7600. I’m going to try the 3030 if it works out I’m getting one for the 7600.

Hit the range today. Where only allowed to shot at 50yrds. with open sights. First group I was looking at the rear sight then when I realized what Pygmy was saying I started looking throw the sight. Not great but I’m going to bring it upstate where I can do what I want. Thanks for all the again.

0454babf788c452c6891b62c8e35aeed.jpg

f901aeaa3ea72ac42b126d2fcd70744e.jpg

Off the bench shots

54dae5db2a881810f3554889ae0a23af.jpg&key=80659c2b2f63be67ceb6e25bacd51b1956c6ae4b3e779311091f0b85dacc0b42

• Like 2

Below are several illustrations of how most folks sight picture will look using various open-receiver-peep sights.

Personally for a front sight I like a very fine bead on a post either brass, ivory or a fiberoptic, I use  it almost like a dot reticle in a scope. A fine blade type works well for me also.The rear sight aperture size will be determined by how the firearm is actually used, small for precision, larger for hunting.

2019-10-06_124725.png

2019-10-03_084250.png

Open-Sights-7.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1