2019 HuntingNY Bow/Archery Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

2019 HuntingNY Bow/Archery Harvest Thread

Post up pics of your 2019 archery season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo and story here.

• Like 6

Went out for my first sit at around 1 pm. Didn't see anything but squirrels until just before 6 when a doe and fawn came in to my left. I was planning to take the doe since the fawn seemed to be big enough to make it on it own. I normally pass does with fawns in October.

A minute or 2 later I heard deer running and saw a doe come in to my right. She was acting weird like she may have seen me move or something. Then I saw the buck.

The buck followed the script and gave me a broadside opportunity about 18 yards. The arrow hit a bit high, but within a few seconds of the buck running off I heard it crash.

There was good blood at the point of impact and first few yards, but either poor blood or I suck at blood trailing thereafter. Decided to just go to where I heard the deer crash and after a few minutes I found it.

Great start to the season.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 22

Well today was my 8th sit of the year and the first deer I've seen, unbelievably. After a quick stand move yesterday in the pouring rain I climbed in this morning, at 7:40 2 does came out at 5 yds and the biggest gave me a 21yd quartering away shot. Entrance was behind the last rib, exit was low behind off shoulder. At the arrow there were intestines laying on the ground, not terribly alarming as I knew the angle and could see the exit as she ran. Waited 3 hours just to be safe, she was laying right where I last saw her. Spitfire Maxx heads are nasty! 2 minutes after I shot her my other cell cam 250yds away sent me the pic of a nice 8 walking by my other spot! Feels good to have one on the ground. IMG_20191013_122937_01.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 40

She boosted my scouting confidence 10 fold.  I walked into a piece of the Pine Bush I had scouted via map, and when I arrived there, the sign was fresh.  I'm hunting from a saddle now, and my tree options expanded beyond what the climber requires.  I picked a slanted tree within range of a creek crossing and downwind of a trail that led to bedding.

I sat for hours with no sightings, but the sound of acorns dropping 30 yards behind me pocked the sit.  I trusted that the deer would be on their feet to feed, answering that dinner bell once the sun dropped below the trees.

The first doe cut across the creek at 4:40.  She routed away from me, and was in a hurry.  I had no time to draw on her.  The second doe cut across my field of vision uphill of me, browsing at the edge of someone's lawn about 75 yards away.  That was at 5:20.  At 5:50 the sun sunk below the trees, the temps dropped, and the groups of deer got up and on their feet. 

About 100 yards away a group of deer, with at least one large deer, started making their way towards me but never fully came into view, nor closer than 80 yards.  All I could see were bodies, and legs moving through the leaves.  At just after 6:00 p.m., I heard movement behind me, and two doe were about to cut across the stream, after eating on the fallen acorns.  I picked up the bow, and came to full draw at the 25 yard mark. 

Just as the first doe was about to come into a sizable shooting lane, she stopped dead.  She was downstream, and the thermals were most likely taking my scent down to her.  I had dropped milkweed from the tree, but the beech saplings around me hung onto them, and I forgot having read about stream thermals in the evening.  I adjusted slightly, and arrowed her through a thin opening between two pines.  Thwop!  Lungs.

Post-shot, I shook worse than I had in years.  I was pumped about the scouting, and my chosen setup.  While it almost failed me right at the end, it did work, and I seared the lesson of that spot's thermals into my memory.

The blood tracking story is a fond memory I have with @Canis Latrans, even though it cost him a ton of time.  I wouldn't have found that doe nearly as easily without his help, and I'd still probably be dragging that deer up out of there if he hadn't turned around to meet me.  I owe him some beer, and hope to hunt with him before bow season ends.

In the end, she ran about 80 yards and piled up.  She stumbled right after the shot, over some downed limbs, and I had lost the blood trail there in the dark.  Canis' torch light picked right up on the blood, and from there, she bled out until he walked right up on her, an easy trail.

Here's a poor pic of the deer, and the arrow shot:

PineBushDoe.jpg

PineBushDoeArrow.jpeg

Edited by Rebel Darling
  • Like 36

At 900 i got out of my stand because it was foggy and nothing was going on.  The woods were quite so i decided to scout and still hunt the ridge i was on a bit.  Didnt find the sign i wanted to see so i got back on the main trail and headed to the truck.  I made it about 150yrds when i heard crashing but couldnt see anything through all the young beech trees still all green.  I thought it was the flock of turkeys i bumped the day before in the same spot. 

I made it 10 more yards when i hear what i thought was a grunt.   Then. I hear 5 grunts in a row and catch deer about 50yrds in front of me.  About that time they take off running with the buck grunting the whole time.  So i drop my pack and race 20yrds up the path hoping they go past.  As soon as i got up to my spot and knocked an arrow 4 deer rush across it.  But i could still hear a buck grunting from the way they came.  About 30seconds later the deer i took out stepped out at what i thought was 30.  Ended up being 36 dropped into the arrow and it  went through front shoulder and lodged in the other hit lung and heart.

After he took off i still hear the buck grunting so i knock another arrow since i saw mine fall.  Another doe came across i could hear the grunting getting closer so i drew back and out came a maybe 6" spike grunting up a storm.  He ended up leaving and since i was giving my deer time to make sure he was 100percent  done. I grunted at him and he came back again and blew and left again(did this 3 times).  He had to of grunted 30 times.

Not getting one in 5yrs wasnt letting one go past and freezer empty it was a first chance i was taking it.  Arrow flew perfect finally have a setup i trust.  Now time to look for a bit bigger body deer.

The little man loved it.   Stayed on the truck for 30mins with it.  All on a piece of stateland.

20191019_122017.jpg

• Like 37

After being out way too late playing euchre with a bunch of buddies saturday night (i know wild saturday...god i feel old) waking up sunday was brutal. Brother in law showed up at 615 and off to the woods we go. I give him first choice on stands he picked a stand no one has sat this year, i took my favorite "swamp" stand. This is the 5th deer ive shot out of it in 3 years during archery. Anyhoo, early on he txts me theres a small buck walking down the path to me. Get my phone ready to video the beast. He did not disappoint, tiny spikes may not have made the 3" mark. He fed his way from down wind of me to up wind were i have a mock scrape set up. Got to watch him use the licking branch and off he went back behind me on my right. 15 minutes later i see a larger spike back were the little guy went, this guys spikes are slightly taller than his ears. Then a hour of no movement, at 905ish i hear some twigs snapping from behind over my right shoulder and see a doe and 2 fawns or 2 doe and a fawn. Never had a chance to get a good look at them all because a second later all hell breaks loose and a grunting maniac comes flying in after the doe and they all scatter. The glimpse i got of him told me he was good enough to warrant a shot. The doe came busting out of the brush and seconds later he came walking out. He was slightly quartering away at around 30 yards. Drew my bow and had the dot behind the shoulder as he walked. Hit the realse and saw the impact mid body arrow was in up to the nock...FU#K... when i hit the realse i stopped moving with him, first dumb move of my day. Called my bil and we sat for 20 more minutes, i climbed down checked a trail camera near by and we walked out away from the hit sight. I figured liver and was hoping it made it to 1 lung.

Brother in law went home, we had a meeting with a finacial guy. After our meeting i took my son back to go look. It had been 2.5 hrs from.the hit. Looked around at were i thought he was standing and couldnt find anything. Couldnt find sign of anything, so i went walking in the direction i believed the buck went. I could not find any sign of deer. At this point im very down on myself and just rushing through the whole search process hoping i just stumble upon sign 2nd dumb mistake of the day. My son yells to me he found hair, i head over and yep hair. I look for a few seconds and start slowly walking in the direction i think he went...im not getting any smarter here folks...cant find anything so i start calling deer search numbers and leave messages with a couple guys. We head in to go get pumpkins, bil and family were coming over for dinner so i knew i had more eyes coming later. After dinner we are watching some football, at this point i was contacted by a deer search guy and he would be coming put that night. Im content with that, my bil wants to go look. So a 615 we head out to look. We walk around were i thought the buck was standing...nothing, i take him to the hair which is maybe 15 feet away. We look around there carefully for a few minutes and boom, he finds a drop of blood. We are now finding specs every few feet. Very slow going (the way i should have been going the whole time!) Its now dark in the woods so flashlights and we r doin ok finding blood every few minutes, we hit a few spots were it takes awhile, one guy stays at ladt blood the other moves ahead. We eventually find the back half of my arrow. 15ft ahead it appears to buck makes a 90* turn. Bloid gets better spots the size of a baseball, then another, and another. Shine my light ahead and we are lookin at a white belly. Dead in his first bed. 

Lessons learned here, first no matter how long you have been hunting TAKE YOUR TIME ON THE TRACK! As soon as i couldnt find blood were i believed the deer had been, i started heading in the direction i thought it went. At the spot of hair, if i was facing 12:00, i belived he went towards 11 oclock. In reality he went to 2 oclock. So as i was going i was getting progressively farther from the deer. I was dead set on checking the area i thought he went, after finding no sign of a hit deer i shouldve been checking in other directions. It really comes down to just taking your time, and maybe what u think you saw, well maybe it happened a little differently. 

Im 36 years old, been bow hunting for 22 years... the saying "never stop learning" comes to mind.

20191020_202719.jpg

20191020_200646.jpg

20191020_200700.jpg

20191020_200636.jpg

20191020_200631.jpg

• Like 48

I got to my stand around 6:10 and was enjoying the nice cold temps until 6:22 when a deer blew 5 times behind me down wind. With the way things have been going for me for the last few months I was already in a bad mood thinking my morning was shot already. I was trying to be hopeful and around 7:42 I heard wha sounded like a couple steps behind me and when I turned I had a fawn standing broadside at 10 yards. I moved really slowly to grab my bow and get up, but at that time the neighbor decided he wanted to ride his quad down to his horses to feed them. The deer are used to us, but it decided to run 10 yards into some thick stuff. It stopped in a small window at about 23 yards quartering away and I figured its now or never. I took the shot and heard a good thump and watched him run away with its tail down. I thought I heard a crash, but I couldnt see where I hit it so I didnt want to rush to conclusions. The path it ran down has a trail cam on it and has very tall grass so I didnt want to walk down it and pick up a tick again. I circled around to where it should have came out in a small grassy opening and found a few drops of blood. I looked for more blood for the next hour and couldnt find anymore. I was getting really discouraged and decided to walk down a path it might have gone down but found nothing. Its all tall grass around as you can see so i remeber telling my self I could walk with in feet of it and not see it. Just at that time I look to my left and see it in the grass off the trail. It was a high quarter away lung shot so the cavity was filled with blood. I dragged it 200 yards to where i skin and quarter all my deer and by the end I was sweating like a pig and exhausted.

IMG_0512.JPG

• Like 40