2019 HuntingNY Bow/Archery Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Had a great hunt this morning against a snowy backdrop.  It didn't last too long as I had a doe come through solo......she gave me about a 16-17 yard shot and I made it count.  She headed back the way she came after the shot and after about 60 yards I saw the tell tale flicker of her flag. I didn't actually see her drop but I was confident enough to only give her 30 minutes before I climbed down and took up the trail.  She was where I thought.........

d0s6ngr.jpg

xWNGS2m.png

The drag was MUCH nicer than the buck last Saturday evening; 30 yards on level ground to a seasonal driveway. :)

• Like 42

Well.  Yesterday i shot a doe shot looked good quartering away.  Even saw it look like it wobbled when it got out to 100yrds.  Gave it a good hr started tracking. The arrow stayed in her and about 50yrds into track it started pumping blood full of bubbles and pink colored, we found arrow where i last saw it and got about 18 inches went in.(could see it when it ran away the arrow went in deep).Was covered in blood no guts all lighter colored and so i kept going after 150-200 yrds of tracking with consistant blood it stopped with only 4 drops over last 75 yards.  So me and friend decided to circle to see if we could catch it laying dead or cross more blood.  Well 5mins into that i jumped it.  Buddy saw her and confirmed it was her he saw blood on its side.  Went back this morning 24hrs after hit looked all over.  I about gave up figured ide swing around property in truck to see if i could see her in the fields.  Crows gave her up had to be 20 in the trees around her.  Found her in one of the meadows 200yrds from where we jumped her. She stunk yotes and crows got to her last night.  

Looked like i hit a little higher then i thought and caught one lung and did get more guts and liver then i first thought.  Guess she was quarterd more then i thought.   Shes hanging hoping meats still good i scrubbed her down and got rid of any meat the guts spilled on. 

Sorry no hero pics wanted to get her home and cleaned up just one of her hanging.

20191111_142008.jpg

• Like 23

Dragging a friend's buck out on Nov 2, I unfortunately hurt my back right at the start of rutcation (L4-L5 and L5-S1); presently dealing with a battery of tests and alot of challenges I'll have to deal with over the next few weeks. Stupid amount of pain, too. Surgery likely looming.

I was dumb enough to push it probably too far; managed to get out with the help of a friend 9 days out of the originally planned 12 off. The other three I couldn't get out of bed due to pain/soreness. The sets were close to the truck and as expected, just outside the bulk of the action. A few close encounters with target bucks but physically it just didn't work out well, including one miss due to unfamiliarity with a borrowed xbow. Sometimes I could carry the bow and sometimes my friend had to walk me out. My wife is proud. Really, she is. I promise. She's still yelling at me, and I can hear her. I'm at work now 35 miles away.

The evening of our snowstorm, I hunted the PM and on the walk out of the woods, picked up on where a target buck was bedded in some swale on a hedge row based on tracks and being able to glass him in the dark against a farm flood light. The next PM I drug myself with a Lone Wolf to the spot I thought I could get him and sat it out a whopping 6 inches off the ground. No usable trees to get higher and I couldn't carry a blind or sit in a folding chair comfortably. I couldn't climb either, let's just be real about it.

At 3:30, three does come across an open field with the last being this one. I had to take the opportunity and did. 30 minutes later the target buck stepped out of the bedding and skirted me at 80 yards not knowing I was there; he picked up the trail of the does that came in with this one and followed the way they ran after the shot. He was shot the next morning by the neighbor. I was too sore to make the morning hunt and I got images of him on three cells cams that AM. That left me high and dry with no strong confidence moves to make on the last day of rutcation. Ah well. Still had as much fun as I could.

Piebald 2.jpg

Piebald.jpg

• Like 41

32 minutes ago, phade said:

Dragging a friend's buck out on Nov 2, I unfortunately hurt my back right at the start of rutcation (L4-L5 and L5-S1); presently dealing with a battery of tests and alot of challenges I'll have to deal with over the next few weeks. Stupid amount of pain, too. Surgery likely looming.

I was dumb enough to push it probably too far; managed to get out with the help of a friend 9 days out of the originally planned 12 off. The other three I couldn't get out of bed due to pain/soreness. The sets were close to the truck and as expected, just outside the bulk of the action. A few close encounters with target bucks but physically it just didn't work out well, including one miss due to unfamiliarity with a borrowed xbow. Sometimes I could carry the bow and sometimes my friend had to walk me out. My wife is proud. Really, she is. I promise. She's still yelling at me, and I can hear her. I'm at work now 35 miles away.

The evening of our snowstorm, I hunted the PM and on the walk out of the woods, picked up on where a target buck was bedded in some swale on a hedge row based on tracks and being able to glass him in the dark against a farm flood light. The next PM I drug myself with a Lone Wolf to the spot I thought I could get him and sat it out a whopping 6 inches off the ground. No usable trees to get higher and I couldn't carry a blind or sit in a folding chair comfortably. I couldn't climb either, let's just be real about it.

At 3:30, three does come across an open field with the last being this one. I had to take the opportunity and did. 30 minutes later the target buck stepped out of the bedding and skirted me at 80 yards not knowing I was there; he picked up the trail of the does that came in with this one and followed the way they ran after the shot. He was shot the next morning by the neighbor. I was too sore to make the morning hunt and I got images of him on three cells cams that AM. That left me high and dry with no strong confidence moves to make on the last day of rutcation. Ah well. Still had as much fun as I could.

Piebald 2.jpg

Piebald.jpg

Sure that deer is not mixed with feline, wicked color to her fur.

• Like 3

Including Sunday’s hunt I had 50 hours in a tree stand which compared to some isn’t much but with 2 young kids at home and a wife that works every other Saturday it was a lot for me.

A buck came by at 4pm from the south working his way north up a logging road. I immediately knew he was a 4 pointer that I had on camera all year long. There was no doubt in my mind that at 4pm on my last day to bow hunt for the year that I was going to do my best to get this deer.

He was walking at a good pace without stopping so I had to be careful standing up and moving into a shooting position. I was able to be ready for him as he passed 3 yards away from the stand. I didn’t like the idea of shooting directly down so I waited until he got out in front of me. At about 12 yards he got behind a small tree head facing away from me which is when I drew the bow back and made sure I had my anchor point and was looking through the peep site.

He was now quartering slightly away As he continued to walk away from me. When he was at a tree that I knew was 19 yards I gave him a soft "meeep" to stop him and let the arrow fly!

Impact spot looked great but it was not a pass through and it even looked like an absolutely impossible amount of arrow sticking out of him as he bounded away. All sorts of thoughts started to run through my head. Did I actually hit him in the shoulder? Is my bow not powerful enough? I’m drawing 62 pounds or at least I thought? All that passed through my head in the matter of seconds almost the same amount of time it took him to start to stumble. That first stumble he did was all the reassurance I needed to know that I did in fact make a good shot.

I continued to watch him run away for a few more seconds when his front legs gave out and he nose dived into the ground flipping over himself. He tried to get up again but could only manage to spin around on the ground in a small loop kicking with his back legs as hard as he could.

Within seconds all movement stopped and there he lay motionless 100 yards away from the shot. I had finally done it after 4 years of bow hunting, countless hours practicing in the yard, countless hours spent in the woods it was done I had finally taken my first deer with a bow.

This is a hunt much like my first gun deer that I will never forget. The 5 minutes that transpired from first seeing him walking down the path to expiring 100 yards away is seared into my memory.

I couldn't be happier about it. It’s my first archery kill and for it to happen on my last day, in the last hour is just amazing!

Thanks for letting me share!
938942136536eb82e680c7b4b648bd14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Brad! What a cool looking doe! And big too!

Really sorry to hear of your injury. Hope you are feeling better soon. 

My apologies for posting in the harvest thread. Didn't realize it until after posting. 

Edited by grampy

Friday, November 8:

I headed out at 8:00 a.m. with my bow and a folding stool.  Cold wind cut across my face a bit, but mostly head on.  I walked over to where I had seen a couple of scrapes, and with fresh overnight snow on the ground, I was curious to know if bucks had freshened them up.  I was hunting does, but I was still curious.

The scrapes were covered in snow.  I followed some track along an old logging road.  Fresh snow partially filled the tracks, so it looked like deer had walked the path sometime during the night.  When I came to within 20 yards of my neighbor's field edge, I stopped, leaned up against a tree and took a look around.

10 minutes passed and then I saw movement.  30 yards to my right through thick pine saplings, a doe.  She was walking with the wind to her back, and I didn't move.  No shot opportunity through that thick stuff, and I wanted to learn where she was headed.  As I watched her through the binos, I saw a few more doe ahead of her.  They'd get downwind of me in a couple hundred yards, but I wasn't concerned.  I figured they were well on their way, and, being downwind, they weren't viable hunts for me anyway.  Gotta let them go.

After I could no longer see them moving through the trees, I cut across their tracks, got the wind in my favor and walked on.  Maybe they were feeding on a specific oak.  Maybe there was some other browse they were interested in.  Basically, I wanted to know where they were coming from and figure out why.  As I traced their tracks backward, I came to a pinch point, looked up, and saw a doe broadside at 20 yards.  I froze in a half-kneel, un-nocked bow in one hand, and the stool in the other.  Guess I'm gonna do the mannequin.  She came towards me to about 15 yards, walking the worn track a little above me and to my left.  I could now see she was the lead doe in a group of three.  She saw me, and locked on.  The two doe behind her stopped in their tracks and watched her for a queue.

She stalled, stomped, head-bobbed, stomped some more, but never blew out.  After a while, the two does behind her got bored, flicked their tails and pushed her on.  I held my stance for as long as I could, and when I looked behind me, they were long gone.  I checked my phone, and it was about 9:20, and I decided to set up.

I found a good "hole" with some shooting lanes.  It was going to be tight, but that means it was also going to be challenging and exciting.

I was sitting for 5 minutes when I caught movement from my right about 30 yards away.  The deer walked closer, putting a few trees between us.  I drew back and held on the trees, hoping that the deer was a doe, and that it would walk to my right of the trees.  I won half that bet.

She popped out from behind the trees at 15 yards, coming just to my left, almost straight at me, below the well worn track.  There were a few hemlock saplings between us, but when she came to the opening, she spotted me and stopped.  I had my pin on the back half of her shoulder, and I steadied my focus there.  She was slightly quartered-to, and so close that I could see her individual muscle strands tighten up.  I let the arrow fly before she could figure out what to do, or what I was.  POP!  Double-lungs.

I watched her bound once, trot, stop, flick her tail, walk, and then fall over.  Dead deer.

Seconds after she fell, a Golden-crowned Kinglet landed on a branch just over my right shoulder and started singing, and not long after that, another doe came walking through on the well-worn path.  She never saw me, and wandered off, maybe oblivious, maybe just moving on in a most natural way.

The woods then returned to its standard winter calm, and I sat there and thought more about death as an offering of life, waiting to walk up to a bounty of fresh kill that will help sustain my friends and family through the winter calm.

BowDoe4LWendyandJohns.thumb.jpeg.819dd8df198edbcc811751e902056eb1.jpeg

I stood at the site where I shot her, and took a photo of my setup.  She was 9.5 yards away.

BowDoe4LShotSite.thumb.JPG.7c7f236df204ce7ea1eae63a56bf868f.JPG

Edited by Rebel Darling
Grammar
  • Like 29

I decided to head upstate for the opener last weekend, and shortly after I left I started getting pics of a buck parade past my stand for the entire weekend. All good bucks, but not the one I was really after. I left early Sunday morning and rushed home for the evening sit. Unfortunately it was just a few does that night. Then on Monday, my target buck started showing up across the road on another cam. Up until this point I had only got a handful of pics of him since early October. Now he was showing up daily and during the day. It was a long week at work knowing that he was becoming killable, and I was stuck at work waiting for Saturday to get out again. Friday was warm and activity was nonexistent, but I saw a small drop in temps forecasted for Saturday and I had a feeling that it was going to be a good day. The plan was to do an all day sit, but after sitting in the emergency room with my dad until late Friday night, I decided to sleep in a bit. I woke up Saturday morning to a flurry of activity on one of my other cams overnight. I had 4 different bucks chasing a doe late Friday night until Saturday morning as the temps dropped. So I decided to change my plans and jumped into my ground blind for the day. I got in just after 10. Around mid day, I had a small spike come in, then a 4 point. Late in the afternoon, 5 does came through. Then right at last light, he showed up on my left and entered my lane at 15 yards. I let one fly, but I didn’t stop him as he walked. I hit him a touch back. Tracking was a little tough as it was a slight uphill shot, about mid ship, with the exit hole just slightly higher.  I tracked him about 90 yards before the blood trail really opened up. It was then that I realized that it looked a bit dark and it might be a liver shot. So at that point me and my friend decided to back out and get some dinner. We came back about 4 hours after the shot and started tracking again. At the point of last blood, it entered a thicket of thorns about 6’ high. So I got down on my belly and tried to crawl under as it was about a foot off the ground underneath. I shined my light ahead of me and there he was about 5’ away in the middle of the thickest nastiest stuff around, dead. I probably never would’ve found him if I was doing a grid search. Turns out I hit liver and one lung and he bled internally for quite a bit. He has a very similar rack to the previous buck I shot in the same area. He is a mainframe 9 with 3 kickers, and has a very dark chocolate rack. I spoke with another hunter in the area that has been targeting this buck as well, and he confirmed what I thought that he was 5.5 years old. He has plenty of mass throughout and I have a feeling that he’s been the one busting up some of the younger bucks racks. 

21272B3C-DA54-4C0E-992D-C12B72245950.thumb.png.a25fd86b67091ee274b956cd6585dd09.png2EC19992-F6BF-43E0-97FA-C7241DEBF611.thumb.jpeg.877f54d0deef09946b07b53f7b383b98.jpegE27FE9AD-9288-4368-9081-898D2ECFD68E.thumb.png.c55562c69cf5d65ed63eab5396169baa.png27CB202B-137B-4F53-8CBC-22CF7D03DB9A.thumb.png.7a7f70ff040d491efe3d27ac899f42b0.png#fromtheground

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 33

Went to scout some state land near one of the smaller lakes in the area to see if I could “track” a buck once we get some snow on the ground.  Iv never set foot in the area, only fished the lake.  I brought my bow just in case.  On the walk back toward the car I could hear a deer walking “below” me on the lake side.  I stood behind a tree and this little guy passed me.  Shot him quartering away.  I was trying to “aim for the opposite leg” and hit a little further back than I wanted.  Took out off-side lung and Rage did tons of damage.  He ran down the hill but dropped in sight.  I carried him out and decided if I ever get a buck in that area I’d drag him down to the water and get the boat.  Incredibly steep and overgrown.  Weighed just under 100lbs.  Should be delicious.

9B408744-A9AE-4D3A-9967-D1A3E3551401.jpeg

• Like 20

• 2 weeks later...

3S - Big Ole 7 pointer
c603682278572435bcd12d8daa17ee6c.jpg
Clipped the tip of the heart(middle cut came from me carrying it out with my arrow...that is not recommended by the way!)
7af56cb4b20598509879080a73cb74b0.jpg

97eb99d314dc848c626a4054f12663de.jpg
That’s how much Fireball remained after I shot....I knew today was the day after a great kid wrote me a Christmas poem and attached that candy(her favorite). After the shot I stuck it in my pocket hoping I can add it to the euro mount in a unique way.

He was as stiff as a board at 7:05 when i returned....so happy

• Like 30

Passed on this guy last weekend but today's the last day, he walked into my lap twice and he'll taste better than an unused tag tho 436437b4c45241e7161f310301975ee9.jpg&key=feb0f0e022dd9fc74d76811faa4f0066a631dc1474ac05eb15f4b20fa4c3cfde

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Where do you hunt I had a buck on cam that looks just like that

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
The harvest thread is back! I'm reading back through, what an exceptional year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Might I suggest reading through the “Kolsch available in SE region” if you are bored!!! Find my a black cherry for a bonus!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 5:11 PM, Kmartinson said:

Last year November 11, My first bow buck. 

IMG_0295.jpg

I found a dead buck in the road and rubbed myself down with tarsal.... my brother and I hunted all day. 2 prime spots. I was attacked by 5 different bucks between 1pm and 430 when this buck finally came into the scrape line. I had 4 smaller deer in range. It was worth the wait.

• Like 1