2019 HuntingNY Crossbow Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

2019 HuntingNY Crossbow Harvest Thread

Post up pics of your 2019 crossbow season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo and story here.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This 2.5 year old 8-point may have been my easiest shot with my Barnett Recruit, since 2014, but it was the scariest recovery.   For the first time, I did not hear a crash within 40 yards or see him go down.   Chest girth was only 39-1/4" and I still have not calculated the dressed weight, from the PA chart (with the 9F NY correction factor applied), but definitely my highest scoring crossbow rack and the first in a long time with no "rut" damage.   

I passed up a 1.5 year 3 point at 8:00 am.  This one followed the same path, but hung up 50 yards out and stared at me without even a twitch for almost 1/2 hour.  Finally he started moving closer and I moved my crossbow into position in "super slow motion"  When he entered the view in my "green dot" Barnett sight, I put the center dot on the spot and sent the bolt.   It looked good but I waited a half hour to pursue.  I thought I heard a "crash" in the nearby thicket.   I said my usaual prayer for an easy recovery before getting down.

I followed good blood, to the point I last saw him, where it appeared that he turned and entered the thicket, but the blood petered out at that point.  I then did a 1/2 hour grid search of the thicket with no success.  I had marked last blood with surveyors ribbon and I went back to it.  I pulled the little red Bible out of my pack, opened it to a random verse in the book of John, said a quick prayer, and started looking for more blood.   

It turned out that he did not enter that thicket where I heard noise after he disappeared.  There must have been other deer in there (maybe his little brother had circled back in there).   I found blood leading across a field, and continued to mark it with bits of orange ribbon.   He was headed towards another, larger thicket.  I looked up, and there he laid, belly up, just about 5 yards into that one.   

My uncle lives next door.  He is my God-father and is recovering from some recent surgery.  I gave him one of the tenderloins and just finished up the other one for lunch.   It looks like a good week to hang the carcass in our insulated garage.

8 point cb 2019.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 43

Ha didn’t know there was a separate crossbow harvest thread , so I’ll post here as well . First crossbow kill, third season .

Ten Point crossbow ten point buck . Do they sell a twelve  point ? If so I’ll buy one .

17 yard shot a bit more forward then ideal, yet a pass trough ,including the heart . Short “ tract “ hard drag .

6D2875FD-5BFB-4A04-9CC6-BC11CD54134D.jpeg

F77F0759-E217-4CA7-ACF7-2A99D804779D.jpeg

D4D56B0A-C5EC-4871-8128-3A4B76A5BA0C.jpeg

8B7C4146-023B-49B3-A3B7-66F4B06795CE.jpeg

1728543B-72C7-4E9F-A68E-8FF69A765B5F.jpeg

• Like 41

Been seeing bucks across stream where I hunt.  This afternoon around 4 this buck crossed over to my side.  I'm in a good blow-down natural ground blind, almost below ground level above me with a swamp and stream in front of me.  A pretty area to hunt. I saw 3 bucks this morning from this stand, one real nice basket rack working out on a sapling.  They didn't respond to grunt call or light rattle.

This afternoon started off really slow- then later in the day this buck crossed the stream, as soon as  he hit the water I was able to get crossbow ready so he couldn't see movement .  He came right up the run in front of me about 18 yds away broadside.  Made a mouth grunt to stop him - he only went about 5 yards from where he was shot, and expired within 30 seconds.  Thank God for the short drag and nice deer.

20191102_170424 (1).jpg

20191102_193404.png

20191026_102104.jpg

• Like 43

Let's see if I can get this out coherently. Left the house at 430. Saw Lots of deer along the park way as usual. Parked around 530 and started the mile hike in. 40 degrees and wind from the West. Crossbow over my shoulder and carrying an old climber. About halfway in I saw a flashlight in the distance. Trespasser. Got to my tree around 6 and realize the tree I had planned to use was to big for the climber. In the dark I found another one but it had a limb about 8 feet up. The climber was surprisingly quiet for being so old. Right around 645 I had 3 or 4 doe come running in to my left. About 50yds out they turn into the woods and onto another property. While getting ready for the shot I notice that the cables are too long and so the platform is tipping forward. At that time, maybe 7 o'clock I notice another doe to my right. At about 60yds she also turned into the woods. I could see a few of them still smiling around behind me. Around 715 I saw a deer feeding in the acorns to my left, 100yds and closing. Buck. He came to shoot 35 yds and was broadside. I took the shot but misjudged the distance. Clean miss. After a free minutes of debating i climb down to recover the arrow. Found it covered in mud. Went back to the climber and found a better tree. Adjusted the cable length and climbed to about 10 ft. Felt better about the new tree but when I tried to host the crossbow, it was stuck. I had to climb back down to free it. Did that and then climbed back up. I figure my day might be shot because of all my commotion. I finally get back up in the tree, turn around and see another Buck marching through the beans straight to me at about 100yds and closing fast. I quickly raise my crossbow and load a bolt. The Buck presented a 12 yd broadside chip shot. He went about 50 yds and laid right down. First time using a climber and first deer with a crossbow. First Buck in 10 yrs. He isn't the biggest, but he'll be good eating. I learned a lot on this hunt and now the pressure is off.

IMG_20191103_102856601.jpg

IMG_20191103_155708179.jpg

Edited by Bolt action
  • Like 47

1rst time out saturday November 2nd. I couldn't bow hunt this year do to a broken wrist. Been rough.

At 830 am had this 8 point come threw. Had a small window to shoot and when he walked in I shot.Waited till 9 to track. While waiting had a 5 point walk by. 

Had good blood but then faded. While looking for blood seen another buck chasing a doe. Watched for about 5 minutes until they were out of sight.

Tracked my buck for about 3 hours when I seen him laying down looking away from me. Shot him again. He went about another 100 yards and I found him dead. 

First shot was a little behind and caught gut. 2nd shot was in the back looking away but lunged him

20191102_114922.jpg

20191102_144402.jpg

20191102_152318.jpg

• Like 41

First day out with crossbow , morning I saw zip. Went back out @2:00 and put out some doe pee 20 yards from my stand. This buck walked right up to it at 3:15 and stopped at the spot and sniffed it, presenting me with the ideal quartering away shot. He went about 20 yards crashed into a tree and died. No tracking thank God. 59476647566__B9EB5D4E-7CB7-4568-A12E-BBFBEBB8A3A8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 38

This morning was hunt #18 for the season.  I bumped a doe walking in and saw 4 more does wander through.  I never heard this guy walking in, he just materialized over a small ridge about 30 yards away.  He came straight toward me (and in front of a trail cam) and at about 15 yards he started to angle around me.  When he finally started to turn broadside, he was under 10 yards from my tree stand (sorry Biz... not from the ground).  He was walking slowly and I didn't dare try to stop him when he was that close.  I aimed just behind shoulder and halfway up his body.  I hit him a little further back than I planned, and he took off running.  He stopped about 30 yards away and started looking around, I was hoping he would fall right there.  I could see blood pouring out of the exit wound.  Instead of falling, he casually walked out of sight.  I got down from the stand and checked the arrow.  Covered in good blood, and I could see his tracks and blood.  I slowly followed and found him piled up just over 100 yards from where I shot him.  The bolt entered through the 6th rib about halfway up, and exited between 6th and seventh low on the other side.  The Rage did a great job almost cutting one lung in half, and punching a hole through the liver.  Because he was so close, and just slightly quartered toward me, I missed the offside lung.  

I'm very happy and thankful for a nice buck and a quick, clean kill.  I won't be hunting the next two weekends (likely best 2 weekends) because of travel, and plans, so the timing of this was perfect. 

While I was skinning him I noticed a large bald patch on his back between his shoulder blades, looks like some sort of scar.  

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.b51f3466c116fc25fe6a1f19c104ae01.jpgIMG_5690.thumb.jpg.ba623267d539a547eced1176f55a5ef4.jpgIMG_5698.thumb.jpg.d011f4ba69b8c9c103e5ef3b745f57b8.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 35

While walking to my tree stand this morning I really had my doubts at seeing any deer due to the amount of coyote tracks in the snow but at 10:10 2 doe came trotting underneath my tree stand from behind. I had to react quick and gave a couple of bleats to stop them.I took the lead doe, she was quartering away and I hit her far back on the left side and the bolt exited the right shoulder. She didn't go far.Now I can relax and concentrate on a buck, hopefully the 10 point is still around.I have the whole week off to hunt so maybe I can get a chance to see him.

001.JPG

• Like 25

Went to the same spot I bumped him yesterday. I was seated looking at my phone when I heared a noise on my 10 o'clock. Saw the deer walking towards me feeding. I have my crossbow on my lap but couldn't take the shot. As soon as he turned his head away from me I picked up my xbow and aimed.  He saw me and stared back at me. Took the shot while he's quartering towards me at 22 yards (used range finder after the kill). The hunt was over in less than 10 secs from the moment I saw him and squeezed the trigger. I wished it was longer. Didn't get a chance to watch him... But I'm happy anyways. It's no monster but meat is meat! :rolleyes:

IMG_20191110_071519.jpg

IMG_20191110_072722.jpg

• Like 25

My 1st with a xbow! Went out a little late but i was determined to sit at least till 2. Literally at 1:45 this guy came walking  by at 20yds. I couldn't  be happier,  I've had him on camera with all 4 points on the left side just 1 week ago! 

I just weighed him 142 lbs. I thought he would have weighed more. Maybe i should try the tape measure around his chest? Lol

I added a pic of this buck still in velvet with all the points on his left side.

20191111_164435.jpg

20191111_141057.jpg

8-31-19 8pt-spike.png

5 pt 7-9-19.png

Edited by 2012_taco
added pic
  • Like 27

This old guy came in 8:00 Saturday morning making scrapes. Took a quartering away shot at 20 yards right in the boiler room. He ran about 100 yards. This is an old deer for sure. He is super grey in the face and only had his incisors on  the bottom left no bottom molars and no teeth left on top at all. Wish he wasn’t busted up but I love the character and fell blessed to take a legend like this.

C35DAEF3-E2AF-48E7-B3B3-BDC8ACE4D340.jpeg

F3996EF0-DB9C-4832-9FCF-01C1B8FDBDF7.png

51A4EE1D-6126-47E5-8C7A-900E5FDD58D7.jpeg

951DA2BD-BBB1-4FFE-BBA5-26E220ECA108.jpeg

• Like 22

On Saturday morning I was in the stand at 6:30 and man was it cold about 16. At 7:47 I was about to leave and all of sudden the 8 I had on camera was walking fast with 2 does behind him and looking over his left shoulder (I was to the right )never looked towards and kept walking to about 40 yards from me. Never killed with a  crossbow and he never stopped I let him pass. Turns out my neighbor let a friend hunt on his property and he pushed them. So I went out at 2:30 to my afternoon stand got in my stand had a smoke and right when I was done a 9 came walking down the hill nose never came off the ground. As he was getting closer from 50 yards and coming in i worked on my breathing had the crossbow aimed in the close area. He stopped by a big tree where I could see most of his body but no head. Now the crossbow was up and the 3rd line on the scope was in the proximity of a kill shot. He walked 4 more paces stopped just a great well placed shot with a perfect non rushed setup. He jumped in the air but walked away. I heard the arrow hit the ground and land right under him. I could see the illuminknock. There he goes walking back up where he came. But something was different. His tail only went half mast then down. At 30 feet he was staggering, at 40 he was falling into trees by 50 feet it was over. The Rage did its thing. It sliced the back end of the lungs cut the liver in half and hit an artery. Barely any blood come out until the last 15 feet of his life. When I gutted him the cavity was full. Funny thing is he is not the same 8 as the morning this guy is newIMG_0143.thumb.JPG.285973551c2df509cbc7cafcd7a4de23.JPG

• Like 20