left field you are correct that the gear seems to be really designed for lots of walking and verious terrain..  I bought the jacket, gloves and rain gear for my trip with the plans to use it deer hunting as well..my jacket is great for early to mid season bow but once it gets cold I switch out to warmer gear. I am not sure how their cold weather stuff is since i dont own it..I used the gloves during gun season last year and my hands were cold (but dry) so again i will swicth over once the snow starts flying around here...the one thing i would say to anyone getting the gear is it tends to run on the smaller side, i am 6'1 220 and a XXL is what i wear without alot of extra room.

1 hour ago, Tarheelsaint said:

left field you are correct that the gear seems to be really designed for lots of walking and verious terrain..  I bought the jacket, gloves and rain gear for my trip with the plans to use it deer hunting as well..my jacket is great for early to mid season bow but once it gets cold I switch out to warmer gear. I am not sure how their cold weather stuff is since i dont own it..I used the gloves during gun season last year and my hands were cold (but dry) so again i will swicth over once the snow starts flying around here...the one thing i would say to anyone getting the gear is it tends to run on the smaller side, i am 6'1 220 and a XXL is what i wear without alot of extra room.

This is a trend that hopefully is slowly getting back to normal. Many of these disruptor camo companies were fitted for an athletic fit and not necessarily standard. Sitka is the same way although their 2019 cuts moved into more of a standard than athletic - at least in the whitetail and waterfowl selections.

After losing a bunch of weight, I needed to buy all new hunting gear. I looked at Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite and Pnuma. That wasn't happening. I ended up going with Kryptek gear. I bought three different weight pants and two jacket combos, plus a vest, a packable puffy and a few of their other pieces for layering no matter the conditions. From cool early season to single digits, I should be good to go. It's light weight, has excellent warmth to weight component, seems exceptionally well made and I didn't have to ransom one of my grandkids for it.

Not wanting to sound like a fan boy here. I just posted up for those who might be looking but weren't aware of this option. 

• Thanks 1

Fit on everything is pretty good.  Teensy bit snug in the chest/armpits, that was with only a T-shirt on underneath.  With a heavy base layer it might get more snug?  

It's 65 degrees out so, can't really test the warmth.  I went out and shot the bow for 30 minutes wearing it to make sure I could move, and it didn't hamper motion at all.  I think the stuff is sneaky warm, I noticed I was starting to flush and sweat after 15 or so, even though the gear is pretty light.  Probably give it a field test on Monday.  Not displeased so far!

3 hours ago, left field said:

@UpStateRedNeck 

Did you order your size? I’m 6’ 185 and usually take a L but not sure if I should up it to XL. 

Could order both I guess, but thats a pain in the ass for both parties. 

I'm 5'11 and 255 or so, pretty big upper body, and the length was just fine.  Ordered XL jacket, little snug in the armpits and shoulders.  Ordered my usual size in pants and it fist just like a pair of jeans usually does, good in the legs, and loose in the waist.

53 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I keep reading to order up a size, is that everyones experience?

Hasn't been mine so far.  Telling you, I'm a big boy, and the XL jacket wasn't bad.  Liiiiitle bit snug in the shoulders, but had no issues shooting my bow.  Depends on where you're carrying the weight I guess.  Attached is a picture my wife surreptitiously took last weekend while I was cutting wood.

I'm still on the fence about this stuff.  I'll see how it performs Monday.  I get the feeling it's as warm is some of my heavier/late mid-season, early late-season gear, but considerably lighter.  If that's the case, I'll keep it.  And probably gradually do a full gear conversion to their stuff, including a wind / insulation layer, gradually over the course of a couple years.  Because.... ouch!

Lumberjack.jpeg

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Hasn't been mine so far.  Telling you, I'm a big boy, and the XL jacket wasn't bad.  Liiiiitle bit snug in the shoulders, but had no issues shooting my bow.  Depends on where you're carrying the weight I guess.  Attached is a picture my wife surreptitiously took last weekend while I was cutting wood.

I'm still on the fence about this stuff.  I'll see how it performs Monday.  I get the feeling it's as warm is some of my heavier/late mid-season, early late-season gear, but considerably lighter.  If that's the case, I'll keep it.  And probably gradually do a full gear conversion to their stuff, including a wind / insulation layer, gradually over the course of a couple years.  Because.... ouch!

Lumberjack.jpeg

Can you comfortably fit layers under it?

On 10/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, left field said:

Good info. Thanks. 

Maybe worth investing in chainsaw chaps and ear protection? (Speaking from experience and what can happen in a momentary lapse of attention.) 

I've got the helmet/earmuffs combo, don't wear unless I'm cutting standing timber.  

@The_Real_TCIII Only layer I'm getting under the XL jacket is a base layer. Tried to get my cabelas fleece vest under it and wasn't comfortable, especially in the neck.

Field test: Wore the guide pants / jacket combo Monday AM.

Temperature was about 37 degrees to start,  very slight 2-5 mph wind.  Wore under armor cold gear (for me a medium base layer) under the KUIU stuff + a fleece vest over top of the KUIU jacket. 

On a half mile walk from the quad to the stand, and was a little teeny bit sweaty by the time I got there.  Would have been easily avoided if I'd thrown the vest in the pack and opened the pit/front zippers on the jacket. 

Sat from 615 or so til 945/  50/50 standing / sitting.  I was a little bit chilled for the first hour or so, but it warmed up pretty quick and when the sun got on me was pretty comfortable.

The camo seems to work well, I walked within 40-50 yards of 3 bedded doe in the dark and they never even got up, just stared at me with the light in their eyes.  On the way out they high tailed it when I walked by em, but I was making 0 effort at being quiet and just walking at a fast clip.

This stuff is EXTREMELY burr resistant.  The soft shell seems to give burrs 0 purchase.  And I walked through 400 yards or so of overgrown field / goldenrod to get to my stand.

The guide stuff is definitely no replacement for my cabelas cold weather jacket / pants combo.  It's lighter AND warmer than my under armor jacket which I wear for early season (and cost about the same), except the under armor had this cheap tape on the seams thats already come off less than 4 years after buying it.

I think I'll probably slowly replace my current gear with this stuff.  It's lighter, better made, warmer, bigger pockets than anything else I've owned.  Next purchase will probably be the Ultra Down Pro jacket, but probably not this year.

[mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] : Only layer I'm getting under the XL jacket is a base layer. Tried to get my cabelas fleece vest under it and wasn't comfortable, especially in the neck.

Field test: Wore the guide pants / jacket combo Monday AM.
Temperature was about 37 degrees to start,  very slight 2-5 mph wind.  Wore under armor cold gear (for me a medium base layer) under the KUIU stuff + a fleece vest over top of the KUIU jacket. 
On a half mile walk from the quad to the stand, and was a little teeny bit sweaty by the time I got there.  Would have been easily avoided if I'd thrown the vest in the pack and opened the pit/front zippers on the jacket. 
Sat from 615 or so til 945/  50/50 standing / sitting.  I was a little bit chilled for the first hour or so, but it warmed up pretty quick and when the sun got on me was pretty comfortable.
The camo seems to work well, I walked within 40-50 yards of 3 bedded doe in the dark and they never even got up, just stared at me with the light in their eyes.  On the way out they high tailed it when I walked by em, but I was making 0 effort at being quiet and just walking at a fast clip.
This stuff is EXTREMELY burr resistant.  The soft shell seems to give burrs 0 purchase.  And I walked through 400 yards or so of overgrown field / goldenrod to get to my stand.
The guide stuff is definitely no replacement for my cabelas cold weather jacket / pants combo.  It's lighter AND warmer than my under armor jacket which I wear for early season (and cost about the same), except the under armor had this cheap tape on the seams thats already come off less than 4 years after buying it.
I think I'll probably slowly replace my current gear with this stuff.  It's lighter, better made, warmer, bigger pockets than anything else I've owned.  Next purchase will probably be the Ultra Down Pro jacket, but probably not this year.

I appreciate the write up! Mines on it's way, I'll post up when it arrives. Burr proof is extremely important to me I was glad to,hear that part

The rain/wind gear is pretty frigging pricey too.  Did you order base layer?  Really curious if that's worth the investment.  Ideally ($$) I'd order the ultra down jacket and pants, and a rain layer to boot.  But what size?  Probably XXL for the rain layer at least.  Assuming the down stuff would fit over the softshell by design.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I bought

Talus Hybrid Pant and Guide DCS Jacket

Ive got all kinds of base layers already but I may get their vest at some point

Been thinking about it all week, and I think I'm sending them both back.  I like both, but I want to build a layering system and they just don't fit.  Thinking I'm going to get the Talus Hybrid pants, then a Kenai Ultra jacket when they come back in stock.

Received my Kutana jacket and Talus Hybrid pants in Verde 2.0.

Man, this stuff is light. I hope the jacket is warm as it is thinner than a fleece. Will try this weekend.

Fit for this 6' 185lb guy is good with an L jacket and 36" pants. The pants have some room at the waist which I appreciate, and the arms of the jacket are long enough to cover bow wrist at full extension. 

Construction, zippers, material, etc seem top notch. I would have liked an extra button with an inside tab to close the waist as that is a weak-point in a pant that you're always bending over in. And the sewn flaps for the pants pockets are a little bit of a pain. I appreciate the reasoning but it's hard to get your hands in and out. As I like to stalk, I'm sure I'll appreciate the kneepads. 

Jacket has many pockets, though not one on the inside. Maybe it's from years of wearing suits, but I like to keep my wallet in a breast pocket.  I wish the hood was removable as for me it's just something to get in the way. 

Still up in the air on the camo. I like the looks of the Vias, but that really seems more for the mountains. The Verde look like it should work. 

I will try it this weekend. Big question - wash before or not?