Bear attack - PIC WARNING

left field

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe because I am pretty shocked and it takes a lot to surprise me.

A few years ago, a couple of guys were on a bear hunt in Alaska and tracking a bear. They didn't realize that the bear flanked them and as they passed it attacked from behind. The bear covered 70 feet in 9 steps, reached up and tore the guy's face off. Literally. 

He survived but had to stay awake during the evac to keep his trachea open to breathe. He had to reach in and remove "stuff" to keep it clear. I'm astounded at his will to live. He was a paramedic which must have played a huge factor.

There are before and after pics here. FAIR WARNING - these are shocking.

http://americanshootingjournal.com/man-survives-bear-attack-but-loses-face/

Damn.

27 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

That was worse than I expected and I expected it to be horrific

Thank you. 

I've decided based on this comment not to look at the pictures. My morbid curiosity has its limits.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Curiosity gave the redneck the dry heaves.  Christ.  Which reminds me, I need to get a holster for my 10 mil that will accommodate the laser dot rail attachment.  Thinking a front/chest rig, for those after dark tracks.

Kenai holsters ! They make custom. I have one for super black hawk but no custom needed. 

There’s something to be said for desensitizing or compartmentalizing trauma like this. He (forgive me) kept his head as did his partners. That saved his life. 

The picture is tough. You can just see his eye staring back at the camera. What was he thinking ... “how bad is it?”

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Curiosity gave the redneck the dry heaves.  Christ.  Which reminds me, I need to get a holster for my 10 mil that will accommodate the laser dot rail attachment.  Thinking a front/chest rig, for those after dark tracks.

I’m really happy with this one. 

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

20 minutes ago, outdoorstom said:

I saw you wearing that in your tracking journal thread, I've had that site book marked for a year now.  They're also one of the the only people that makes it for my Sig Sauer p220 Hunter.  Thanks!

52 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Not to derail the thread too much, but stories like this, how in God's name is it illegal to carry during bow season?!  I know encon isn't going to ticket me, I talked to the officer last fall, but C'mon NYS!  There's some big damn black bears around.

I wonder how many do, illegal or not.