Letchworth

DanielT

Not there to hunt but, yesterday the wife and i couldn't pass up such a beautiful day and rode the motorcycles through the park. I love this park and every time I go there I'm always thinking about coming back to hunt it.  I knew several guys that used to get a cabin there for the entire bow season. Sounds like a good time!

• Like 2

I really need to hunt letchworth I'm only 30 minutes away. I'd probably Billy goat down to the bottom and wait for a 150+ because I'm not about to drag anything less back up to the top! Maybe next year....

A handcart with a winch welded to it strapped to a tree ran by a marine battery fixes most of those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

A handcart with a winch welded to it strapped to a tree ran by a marine battery fixes most of those issues.

Being firefighters , we strapped them to a cart and set up a 4 to 1 hauling system.  Although my buddies out West never understood why we just didn’t  pack out the meat and horns, which really seems the easiest. 

If they are way down in I de bone /quarter where they drop and pack them out. I've been blessed with good friends who come to the call for help getting them out. It ends up being a great celebration and a very memorable hunt. I have a couple large back packs with rope, bags for meat, folding bone saw,  water, rubber gloves, paper towels, knives, camera and a couple cold ones ready to go at all times.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

Being firefighters , we strapped them to a cart and set up a 4 to 1 hauling system.  Although my buddies out West never understood why we just didn’t  pack out the meat and horns, which really seems the easiest. 

That works. I'm thinking if I were by myself I would bone out and pack it out. 

My buddy opens the cabin Halloween night....and I will be there friday....cant wait.......anybody hunting park this week?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yup it's pretty quiet so far. Few scrapes and rubs but not heavy movement. Lots of bears moving in. 54dd8d5dbb269a75baca39f9c58805d4.jpg6a376b5e6de89839132555610f6e0e46.jpg. Guess I better fix my cam dates. Lol

• Like 1

Anyone hunting the park this weekend should be pleased with the weather forecast. Looking at a cold front to pass through Friday with a big drop in temps. High winds Fri, but it calms right down by Sat am showing light south winds.  On top of that it's the first week of Nov so daytime movement should be picking up a lot.  I plan on heading to my best stand near the bottom that I save for this time of year and will prepare for an all day sit.  Bringing lots of hand warmers and food for staying power. I seem to see the best action mid day and don't want to miss that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Problem is....a613eb9f8f901fed335ea2cfbf9860e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I walk in 2 miles from the closes access point on the east side of the park, then work my way down to the bottom in a spot that is barely manageable, only to find a tree stand and have other hunters show up on trail cam there.  It's frustratingly hard to find a good spot where you won't have company.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:12 AM, genesee_mohican said:

Yeah, I walk in 2 miles from the closes access point on the east side of the park, then work my way down to the bottom in a spot that is barely manageable, only to find a tree stand and have other hunters show up on trail cam there.  It's frustratingly hard to find a good spot where you won't have company.

So true. You take everything you read about thermals, terrain, woods type, etc. 

9 times out of 10 it seems like there is a stand there. I have started to pay more attention to those thick spots just off the rd that everybody walks around.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ncountry said:

So true. You take everything you read about thermals, terrain, woods type, etc. 

9 times out of 10 it seems like there is a stand there. I have started to pay more attention to those thick spots just off the rd that everybody walks around.

I was thinking about that a lot .............as I was walking out from the bottom this evening.

• Like 2

Way to get er done Daniel, you make it look easy!  Nice deer, congrats!

I sat all day on Saturday, had a deer bust me and snort as I was getting into my stand, always a bummer.  I had a 4pt come thru at 9am. A doe came through looking nervous at 12:30 pm and a small buck was about a minute behind her sniffing her out like a bird dog.  I had a few eagles fly over and beautiful mature one landed in a tree about 80 yards away. Lots of geese and ducks on the river, a great day to spend in the wild but pretty quite. I pulled the trail cam card that had been out, (40 yds from stand) since mid Aug. Some decent bucks in velvet, a big 6 and smaller bucks hard horned.

• Like 2