How does everyone clean there broadheads??

mlammerhirt

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to cleaning my head and arrow from Sunday mornings spike. Nap thunderhead- point was fine so just replacing the blades. After cleaning the shaft(hehe!) i noticed what looks like a crack in the arrow and a chip in the insert where the head screws in. Flexed it a bunch of directions and no snap. Not taking any chances regardless so that arrow is now in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Finally got around to cleaning my head and arrow from Sunday mornings spike. Nap thunderhead- point was fine so just replacing the blades. After cleaning the shaft(hehe!) i noticed what looks like a crack in the arrow and a chip in the insert where the head screws in. Flexed it a bunch of directions and no snap. Not taking any chances regardless so that arrow is now in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smart man. I've seen some horrific pics of re-used arrows going through people's hands.

I will clean them with bleach and water with a toothbrush. If it is undamaged I'll keep it in the quiver for an unforeseen shot opportunity at a coyote or something.  I basically consider them one and done for deer, even fixed blades, though I have reused on deer a time or two. 

I will reuse arrows though, I don't see a problem with that at all if it is undamaged. I am shooting FMJs so you really can't flex them too much, but unless it is a hard impact through bone or into rocky ground after the shot I reuse it. There is no way I will ever believe an arrow slamming into a target over and over again all summer long is ok, but one or two clean pass throughs on a deer isn't. 

5 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

I’m looking for a better sharpening/honing stone for my broadheads. The G5 stone I bought a few years back lost all its grit, and is now smooth. Any recommendations on durable sharpening stones?

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

check out the 4 sided diamond stone at Harbor freight. we bought one to just bang around on the counter where we cut up deer. it actually works great and I use to do my Montec G5's on it. I think it was less than 30 bucks and has 4 different grits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

check out the 4 sided diamond stone at Harbor freight. we bought one to just bang around on the counter where we cut up deer. it actually works great and I use to do my Montec G5's on it. I think it was less than 30 bucks and has 4 different grits. 

I've been looking for something for this.  I like the Montecs too but have a devil of a time trying to get them good and sharp.  I just have an extra set I dulled the edges on for practice.

13 minutes ago, covert said:

I've been looking for something for this.  I like the Montecs too but have a devil of a time trying to get them good and sharp.  I just have an extra set I dulled the edges on for practice.

it's like a chainsaw chain or anything else. damage to the edge takes a lot of strokes to make go away. keep count and make the same passes to keep the sides/blades the same weight and height for balance. unless your grit is real coarse you're not removing enough material to make it to the actual edge if the sides aren't looking polished. i try to go into the same cuts in the quiver foam so taking arrows in and out don't dull your edge.

• Like 1

Hot water and soap, then I will spin it in my arrow roller. If all is good , new blades and another spin on the roller to check alignment. 
Now having said that , I am shooting Magnus black hornets this yr and Magnus has a lifetime replacement and sharpening . No matter how the head was damaged they will replace for free. 

3 hours ago, covert said:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided-diamond-hone-block-92867.html

cheaper than I remember