Took a shot

First-light

this morning big buck broadside 20 yards. Shot made an impact noise deer ran off. I look no blood hair or arrow. 

I look in the direction it ran only after a half hour i find 4 drops in one spot. I did not see the arrow enter the deer. A few of us looked for 4 hours nothing found. 

I'm a bit baffled on this. Maybe I just knicked it no hair loss little blood. Arrow buries in the ground. Deer stops for a few seconds and drops a little blood? 

That sucks esp not knowing.  I once hit a deer high.  Looked for hours in the morning and found 6 spots of blood.  After looking one last time saw a belly in a creek bed.   I hit him real high and the arrow was still in him but I could see it when he took off.  

Maybe it was just a graze as the arrows are going so fast if they touch anything they make a noise. Tough one to figure

• Like 1

What kind of a sound was the impact? A smack, kind of like a baseball bat...then it is bone. But a deep "thunk" sound...usually gut, but maybe liver. I would tend that it was a good hit by the sound you mentioned first. A nick...or a graze, there would be no impact sound. If there was blood, there will be hair someplace. It was windy this morning and it would have blown downwind sometimes quite a ways. Big buck will run hard when hit often leaving little blood at first. Big bucks can go a long way with a lethal hit. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Shoulder hit would have been loud. So almost no blood,no hair and no arrow? That is a weird combination. My first buck i shot at dropped at the shot and i found my arrow and some hair. The telltale sign that i just gave him a close shave was some brown hair with just a little bit of skin on it. That took me a while to figure out. Hope you can figure yours out,you have a lot more experience than me.

If you heard an impact sound. That deer was hit somewhere. Sometimes with an arrow, the cut hair flies out in a very fine poof, and can be next to impossible to see. As it's short single cut hairs that scattered while falling. Definitely worth giving it another look!

Just now, grampy said:

If you heard an impact sound. That deer was hit somewhere. Sometimes with an arrow, the cut hair flies out in a very fine poof, and can be next to impossible to see. As it's short single cut hairs that scattered while falling. Definitely worth giving it another look!

Especially if you hit the opposite shoulder,no exit wound means very few hairs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

What kind of a sound was the impact? A smack, kind of like a baseball bat...then it is bone. But a deep "thunk" sound...usually gut, but maybe liver. I would tend that it was a good hit by the sound you mentioned first. A nick...or a graze, there would be no impact sound. If there was blood, there will be hair someplace. It was windy this morning and it would have blown downwind sometimes quite a ways. Big buck will run hard when hit often leaving little blood at first. Big bucks can go a long way with a lethal hit. Good luck! 

Baseball bat. 

47 minutes ago, grampy said:

Out again in the morning to look. Spent about 5 hrs today. Wish I could just find the arrow to tell the tail. 

• Like 2

Hunted until 9 this morning. Got down looked for arrow again nothing. Went in directions I thought the deer could of went but didn't check yesterday. Nothing found. I stopped at 1:00. Meat is bad by now if the deer is dead. Hopefully its ok and only suffered a minor wound. Thanks Guys.

Edited by First-light

In the end I think my shot was a bit forward and high. Entering above the shoulder but catching the other blade. No exit. The deer ran off and only when it stopped a few drips of blood cause the arrow is still in him. The angle was steep at 12 yards. I think that deer still has the arrow in him. He was a big boy but I don't know if he could live with the arrow like that. Sucks, it happens, I looked until exhaustion. 

FIIK0033.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This is why I encourage lighted nocks. Can go back at night and find that arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve found deer with my arrow and lighted nock  sticking in the air.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 2

Not for nothing I think that was a high lung shot with no exit, you ate not seeing blood because the cavity isn’t filling that much and it takes time on a high lung shot. That blood looks like lung blood, that is a dead deer if you ask me. Blood is pretty pink

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This is why I encourage lighted nocks. Can go back at night and find that arrow

love them!  shot a doe one evening on lease and the owner sends me a text " just saw a doe go by the house with a light on it!  i assume that was yours!  lol"   Love the lighted nocks for sure - to find arrow but also better to see shot placement. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

Not for nothing I think that was a high lung shot with no exit, you ate not seeing blood because the cavity isn’t filling that much and it takes time on a high lung shot. That blood looks like lung blood, that is a dead deer if you ask me. Blood is pretty pink

Blood was pretty red not pinkish. I think at some point I would of found more blood from him blowing it out his nose. Hope to see him on trail camera or best shoot him again this week. 

Baseball bat sound at the shot telling me is a shoulder hit or leg.  

Leg wouldn't leave much hair. Leg hair is very thin and short. Hard to spot.  

I've shot a handful of deer over the yrs with broadheads buried in the shoulder, and even one buried in the spine. Couldn't believe it didn't paralyze him. 

• Like 2