Great and sad afternoon hunt.

bhunterED

Well my oldest son who is a senior in high school decided he didn't want to play football his senior year decided he wanted to bow hunt with me again. He did when he was in 7th and 8th grade but things picked up and time was limited to maybe 1 or 2 gun hunts. So we decided he was going to sit a new set I put in this summer where a decent 8, and a 6 have been pretty regular. At 5 my phone is vibrating in my pocket non stop. It's him dad I just shot at a doe should I get down are you coming no wait there are more deer and so on. I reply take a breath and relax sit down I'll be there shortly and now I'm telling myself the same thing. I pack up and go to him ok where was she when you shot? He guides me perfectly to where she was when he shot and I have to sadly pull his arrow out of the dirt and say sorry bud you missed. This is when I hear I shot at her again. What you shot at her again ok where was she that time this time there is no arrow but no hair or blood I can see where she took off and followed for about 50 yds go back are you sure she was standing here yeah dad but I think I hit a branch or something sure enough 5 yds in front of me is a swinging branch. 20 yds behind me is the arrow. He immediately starts saying I'm sorry dad I'm sorry. I asked what are you sorry for and he says because he missed. All I know to tell him is a clean miss is better than a wounded deer you can't find and a little more practice time. He's completely bummed and I honestly don't know who is more down him or me. Anyway it was a great afternoon with my son.

• Like 7

X2 on the clean miss!!These types of situations only make you a better hunter IMO.Its all a learning experience.it happens to the best of us and helps us strive to do better/better judgement.its very easy to clip a branch at that,haha!!!!I know how it feels as ive had my fair share of misses,gotta get back out there and try again!!!

• Like 1

Hitting one and not finding it, hurts much worse than a clean miss. We all had to learn from our mistakes. He sounds like a very conscientious young man. And is enjoying hunting with his dad. What's not to like about that! 

It's only a few days into a long season. I have no doubt, that he will have redemption before it's over!

• Like 2

Well my oldest son who is a senior in high school decided he didn't want to play football his senior year decided he wanted to bow hunt with me again. He did when he was in 7th and 8th grade but things picked up and time was limited to maybe 1 or 2 gun hunts. So we decided he was going to sit a new set I put in this summer where a decent 8, and a 6 have been pretty regular. At 5 my phone is vibrating in my pocket non stop. It's him dad I just shot at a doe should I get down are you coming no wait there are more deer and so on. I reply take a breath and relax sit down I'll be there shortly and now I'm telling myself the same thing. I pack up and go to him ok where was she when you shot? He guides me perfectly to where she was when he shot and I have to sadly pull his arrow out of the dirt and say sorry bud you missed. This is when I hear I shot at her again. What you shot at her again ok where was she that time this time there is no arrow but no hair or blood I can see where she took off and followed for about 50 yds go back are you sure she was standing here yeah dad but I think I hit a branch or something sure enough 5 yds in front of me is a swinging branch. 20 yds behind me is the arrow. He immediately starts saying I'm sorry dad I'm sorry. I asked what are you sorry for and he says because he missed. All I know to tell him is a clean miss is better than a wounded deer you can't find and a little more practice time. He's completely bummed and I honestly don't know who is more down him or me. Anyway it was a great afternoon with my son.

Been there! Your last sentence is what it’s all about! Before you know it, your son will be comforting you. Anyway, I’m so looking forward to opening day gun with my son. He’s in college now! I miss the days of sharing a stand with him. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your insight. I am truly proud of the man he is becoming. After his 3rd or 4th apology I finally said stop apologizing and he did nothing wrong and that anybody whose ever hunted has missed. I had to tell him that I was actually impressed by the fact he was able to even get 2 shots off and not give up his location. He truly wants his first deer so bad that I can't begin to describe it. I want it for him as well honestly it would be my best season ever even if I had to eat my own tags.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bhunterED said:

Thank you all for your insight. I am truly proud of the man he is becoming. After his 3rd or 4th apology I finally said stop apologizing and he did nothing wrong and that anybody whose ever hunted has missed. I had to tell him that I was actually impressed by the fact he was able to even get 2 shots off and not give up his location. He truly wants his first deer so bad that I can't begin to describe it. I want it for him as well honestly it would be my best season ever even if I had to eat my own tags.

Sounds like a humble and we'll grounded boy you've raised. He'll have better days to come but learned more today than if he got the deer.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Sounds like a humble and we'll grounded boy you've raised. He'll have better days to come but learned more today than if he got the deer.  

Thank you for the compliment and I agree with you 100% and one day he will understand. 

Hope there was a lesson learned! Misses and to a certain extent lost deer hopefully make hunters more diligent about their tactics, shot opportunities and better with their equipment. Haven't we all been there/done this? Makes us better hunters after we get over the shame and vow to improve!

Edited by nyslowhand

Kids SUCK....in the best way! What i read in this is how apologetic he was to YOU-like he let you down! I don’t know you but having raised a boy as solid as then one you describe, you don’t strike me as “that guy” who puts ridiculous pressure on his kid. And yet, he feels like he let you down?!? Another sign of an amazing kid!
Congrats on that fact...harvested deer are easy compared to raising a great sportsman like you have done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk