New Capital Region Taxidermist

518BowSlayer

I took a taxidermy course this past spring and am looking to get a couple more mounts under my belt this season. I've done 3 deer shoulder mounts and recently took a fish course and have done a few bass and trout. plus I've been doing my own turkey fan mounts for years. I'm also doing a shoulder mount on my Maine moose in a few weeks. if anyone in or around the capital region would like something mounted this season, hit me up. maybe don't bring me the buck of a lifetime just yet as I am still just a beginner. i'll do deer shoulder mounts for just the cost of materials (around $100) not looking to make any money at this yet just need the practice. pm me if anyone is interested

20190729_200338.jpg

20190806_164727.jpg

20190808_094830.jpg

20190827_054138.jpg

20190827_054158.jpg

20190509_152142.jpg

• Like 7

Do you do your own tanning? I also do taxidermy part time and my supply costs are over $200 per mount. It costs me $110 just to have  cape tanned...
Yes I do. My teacher does his own tanning for deer and small game. Anything bigger than a deer he sends to a tannery. I'm sending out my moose cape in a few days!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I started doing taxidermy in 2015...mounting 6 heads for friends/family that first year basically for supply costs.  I was pretty much self taught using the Rick Carter "Whitetail A to Z" video as my guide. Now, going into my 4th year doing taxidermy for "clients", I've mounted 75-80 heads over the past three seasons. In fact, I mounted my last deer from the '18 season this morning.  There is so much to learn in this craft. I really hate looking back at my mounts from the first couple of years...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3